Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E08) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Chicago Way" -- 12/8/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E08) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Chicago Way" -- 12/8/16

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 06:21 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

"The Chicago Way" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

LEGION OF DOOM - When a new Time Aberration is discovered by the Legends, they find themselves headed to 1927 Chicago. The Legends quickly realize that they have been set up by Eobard Thawne (guest star Matt Letscher), Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) and the newest member of the Legion of Doom, Malcolm Merlyn (guest start John Barrowman). While everyone is trying to help fix what they think is the mission, Jax (Franz Drameh) encourages a reluctant Stein (Victor Garber) to share his secret with the other Legends. Stein is taken captive and Sara (Caity Lotz) must make the tough choice of either stopping the Legion of Doom or saving Stein. Meanwhile, Rory (Dominic Purcell) gets an unexpected visitor and is not sure how to handle it. Brandon Routh, Nick Zano and Maisie Richardson-Sellers also star. Ralph Hemecker directed the episode written by Sarah Nicole Jones & Ray Utarnachitt (#208). Original airdate 12/8/2016.
Old 12-08-16, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E08) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Chicago Way" -- 12/8

So good! LoT and The Flash are now my two favorite shows.

OK, so it's clear Rip is hiding, but from who?

Guidian says she "fixed" Rory's brain. Looks like he needs another treatment.

DC likes to use the Spear of Destiny.
Old 12-09-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E08) -- Midseason Finale -- "The Chicago Way" -- 12/8

Originally Posted by Eric F
So good! LoT and The Flash are now my two favorite shows.

OK, so it's clear Rip is hiding, but from who?

Guidian says she "fixed" Rory's brain. Looks like he needs another treatment.

DC likes to use the Spear of Destiny.
It was a strong episode for the show and I thought it looked great. Much like "Arrow", I thought it was an intriguing cliff-hanger.

To an old, old Comics fan like me, the "Spear of Destiny" hearkens to a classic "Justice Society" Annual from decades ago.
Old 12-09-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

In DC Comics continuity, Hitler used the Spear of Destiny to prevent heroes like Batman and Superman from entering Europe and winning the war. It's the reason given why the Golden Age heroes couldn't win WWII by themselves.

That final scene with Rip was a real trip. I had no idea what I was watching for a moment.

Brandon Routh looked very Clark Kentish in that period wardrobe. I wonder if he would still be playing the role now if Superman Returns wasn't a disappointment.
Old 12-09-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

That's a lot of Taffering going on up there.

Good episode. The writing has picked up this season.
Old 12-09-16, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
In DC Comics continuity, Hitler used the Spear of Destiny to prevent heroes like Batman and Superman from entering Europe and winning the war. It's the reason given why the Golden Age heroes couldn't win WWII by themselves.

That final scene with Rip was a real trip. I had no idea what I was watching for a moment.

Brandon Routh looked very Clark Kentish in that period wardrobe. I wonder if he would still be playing the role now if Superman Returns wasn't a disappointment.
Brandon Routh is a pretty likeable guy- creeper Superman didn't really invest in that.

The actor that plays Rip did a decent American accent. I'm still wondering what he's doing in the 60's. By making a movie about himself isn't he giving himself away?
Old 12-09-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That was a really fun midseason finale.

Dominic Purcell's 1-liners were cracking me up. It's going to be weird seeing him play a more serious character when Prison Break returns in the Spring.

I could do without the Snart cameos. I found those really annoying. I actually think that Rory has shined without Snart this season. Love the cheesy 1-liners and sarcasm.

Going to be interesting to see what develops with the Legion of Doom.

at the cliffhanger with Rip directing a Rip Hunter movie in the 1960's. WTF??
Old 12-12-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rory was great. Been the best reason to watch the show this season. And the Atom is fully back. Great tiny surprise.

Oh goody, Rip is back. Guess it's better than Arrow's threat of bringing back Laurel. Are they trying to scare off viewers?
Old 12-15-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Always a treat to see Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold.
Love his playing the Devil to Vixen playing the angel on Heatwave's shoulder.

Wish Reverse-Flash would have worn his uniform during the speakeasy and Waverider scenes.

The Spear of Destiny!
Old 12-15-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I thought one thing Berlanti had figured out is that fans like seeing everyone in costume. Reverse-Flash should have been in costume for those scenes.

If I were running these shows, the main heroes would almost never be in civilian clothes. I can watch the hundreds of non-superhero programs to see people in ordinary attire.
Old 01-24-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Rory was great. Been the best reason to watch the show this season. And the Atom is fully back. Great tiny surprise.

Oh goody, Rip is back. Guess it's better than Arrow's threat of bringing back Laurel. Are they trying to scare off viewers?
Interesting interview with the producers over at TV Line. Apparently, they decided that Rip was coming across as the stern parental figure and was just too heavy a presence (with a dead wife and child). They want a lighter approach to the team's adventures, so they are re-introducing Rip in a more humorous situation.
Old 01-24-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Apparently, they decided that Rip was coming across as the stern parental figure and was just too heavy a presence (with a dead wife and child). They want a lighter approach to the team's adventures, so they are re-introducing Rip in a more humorous situation.
Disliking Rip had nothing to do with him being a parental figure or a heavy presence. You still had that with both Stein and Sara. It was simply that the lines they gave Rip, and the actors ability to pull it off, was severely lacking. Have felt that way since the first teaser where the guy tries to pull of the line about them being LEGENDS!
Old 01-24-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Disliking Rip had nothing to do with him being a parental figure or a heavy presence. You still had that with both Stein and Sara. It was simply that the lines they gave Rip, and the actors ability to pull it off, was severely lacking. Have felt that way since the first teaser where the guy tries to pull of the line about them being LEGENDS!
I don't think the actor is any good... and I thought that from his days on Doctor Who. So my dislike of Rip isn't going to change just because they change his presence on the show.