Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Shooter (USA) - Based on the 2007 Movie -- Ordered to Series

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...illippe-863866

'Shooter' Remake Starring Ryan Phillippe Picked Up to Series at USA Network

Omar Epps co-stars in the drama 10-episode based on the 2007 feature film of the same name.
USA Network has its sights set on Shooter.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has ordered the remake of the 2007 feature film of the same name to series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Based on Stephen Hunter's best-selling novel Point of Impact, and the 2007 Paramount feature that starred Mark Wahlberg, Ryan Phillippe takes on the role of Bob Lee Swagger, an off-the-grid former Marine sniper who is coaxed into action to thwart the killing of the president. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he must call upon all the skills he acquired as a decorated Marine sharpshooter to avoid capture while hunting down and exposing the traitors who set him up.

The 10-episode drama series, which does not yet have a premiere date, is a co-production between Paramount Television — who produced the original feature — and Universal Cable Productions. John Hlavin (The Shield) wrote the pilot and will exec produce alongside Wahlberg (Boardwalk Empire, Ballers) and his Closest to the Hole Productions, as well as Leverage Entertainment's Stephen Levinson (Ballers) and Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Transformers). Simon Cellan Jones (Ballers) directed the pilot. Phillippe, in addition to starring, will also serve as a producer on the series. Omar Epps co-stars.

“Shooter is an uncompromising exploration of the definition and evolution of a hero,” said Jackie de Crinis, executive vp original programming at USA Network. “The conspiracy and drama that unfolded throughout the first hour had us completely immersed, and we look forward to more.”

Added Paramount TV president Amy Powell: “Stephen Hunter’s Bob Lee Swagger is a heroic, iconic character and there is so much more of his story to explore in series."

For USA, the pickup joins recently ordered drama series Falling Water, from The Walking Dead's Gale Anne Hurd and the late Henry Bromell.

The order for Shooter comes as USA has abandoned its former "Blue Skies" brand in favor of darker fare along the lines of newly minted Golden Globe winner Mr. Robot in a bid to court millennials. The cabler recently launched — and renewed — Carlton Cuse-produced Josh Holloway/Sarah Wayne Callies starrer Colony. Shooter is the second of the cable network's 2015-16 pilot slate to earn a series pickup. Still in contention are comic book adaptation Brooklyn Animal Control and Poor Richard's Almanack. The cabler recently passed on Tim Kring's The Wilding.

Shooter joins a drama slate at USA that includes Mr. Robot, Falling Water, Satisfaction, Colony, Suits, Royal Pains and Queen of the South as well as comedy Playing House.

Shooter becomes the latest movie-to-TV remake as broadcast, cable networks and streaming services look to proven brands in a bid to cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that consists of more than 400 originals. This season, CBS has found success with its Limitless reboot and next has Rush Hour due; Fox didn't fare as well with its Minority Report sequel and ABC has a take on Uncle Buck on the way. On the pilot side, NBC took Taken straight to series and is prepping Cruel Intentions, CBS has Training Day, Fox passed on Urban Cowboy and The CW is rebooting Frequency.

Shantel VanSanten, who just left The Flash, will also star in this. She plays Phillippe's wife.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-22-16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Shooter (USA) - Based on the 2007 Movie -- Ordered to Series

Point of Impact was pretty good when I read it. I'm liking the direction USA's taking with the grittier programs.
Old 02-10-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

The real question is, will Shantel have as good as chemistry with Ryan as she does with Grant Gustin?
Old 03-29-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2016/03/shooter-...ng-1201728115/

Cynthia Addai-Robinson from Arrow/Spartacus was cast as one of the female leads.
Old 03-29-16, 06:30 PM
Banned

Yuck.

I've read every Bob Lee book, and Wahlberg was horribly miscast. It seems that Wahlberg & his production company is determined to continue that mistake with the casting of Phillipe.

We'll reserve judgment, but the Bob Lee Swagger of the great series of novels is a tall, lean, mean Arkansas native with a Southern drawl whose vernacular is out of Justified. I always got the image of Clint Eastwood around the time of Heartbreak Ridge & am convinced that Hunter had Eastwood's image in mind as the model.

Well, I thought Cruise would be a disaster as Jack Reacher since he's pretty far off from the physical description, but I was wrong. Maybe this will turn out better than expected.

But I doubt we'll ever get to see the iconic Swagger as depicted in Hunter's books onscreen. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-29-16 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

What would be a better pick? John Cena?
Old 03-30-16, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
What would be a better pick? John Cena?
No, it would be someone like a younger version of James Cromwell.

Or maybe Lee Ermey around the time of Full Metal Jacket.

Scott Eastwood is too pretty & too young, and Walton Goggins...while a great actor, his face is a bit too distinctive.

Now that I think of it, Josh Holloway might have been a really good pick if he wasn't tied up with Colony. He's 6'2", has the drawl down pat, is not too pretty for the role, is recognized by modern audiences, and has some charisma. He'd need to cut that trademark long hair, though (Swagger was a jarhead).

http://m.emmys.com/sites/default/fil...?itok=8TVy3OIV

Nothing against Ryan Phillipe...I've liked him in some action roles...but I suspect that they will make his character more like Mark Wahlberg's version than Stephen Hunter's version.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-30-16 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 06:58 AM
Banned

Another guy I think would fit the role is Stephen Lang.

http://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress....0309013427.jpg

He's proved his badass bonafides in Avatar, Into the Badlands, and other productions.

Downside is that he's 63 (a very fit 63, though) and only 5'10". Swagger is around that age is some of the narratives.

It's not the casting, though, overall. It's how they present the character. Swagger is unique in his folksy, homespun, dry wit and common sense (along with his mannerisms and upbringing). Making him just another loner with superior fighting skills reduces his appeal.

So I really, really hope that they stick to the Hunter characterization. If I'm wrong about the direction they take & they do Swagger right, I'll be tickled pink to admit that my doubts were misplaced and to congratulate them. If we didn't like the character so much, we wouldn't care. I wasn't sold on the idea of Timothy Oliphant as Raylan, but he was great in the role.

It's like wanting to see Modesty Blaise, but wanting to see her done right...and not like the two theatrical versions (although the low-budget third version shot direct for video wasn't bad).

In other words, we want the show to be more Swagger and less Shooter.

If anyone who likes Bob Lee hasn't read Hunter's Earl Swagger books (based upon Bobby Lee's dad), they're also terrific reads.
Old 03-30-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They couldn't of cast Bob as too much of a badass because then it'd be impossible to cast Earl Swagger since he's twice the machine that Bob is.
Old 05-16-16, 01:12 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Old 05-16-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Cool little trailer without giving too much away.

Glad it's airing on cable with a short 10 episode run. I presume this will air in the Fall.
Old 07-12-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2016/07/shooter-...gs-1201785138/

Was supposed to premiere next Tuesday (The 19th), but was postponed until the 26th in light of the Dallas shootings.
Old 07-12-16, 09:27 AM
Banned

It seems odd to turn these movies into tv shows, Lethal Weapon, Minority report and now shooter. I probably missed a few as well. I've seen the movie. Not sure how far this will branch off but I think I'd rather be done in under two hours than spreading it out over 10
Old 07-12-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny story: I was on the Warner Bros studio tour in Burbank last month and they couldn't take us on the outside set lot because Pretty Little Liars was filming on one half and Fuller House was filming on the other. So the tour guide took us into the Warner Bros prop house and set us loose. I saw tags from the production designer of Shooter on a bunch of tables and lamps for "Russian Office Scenes" and told a friend of mine that we should watch that. From behind me a guy says "don't, I its f___ing awful". Then my tour guide comes up to me and says "by the way that was the production designer of Shooter".
Old 07-12-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I haven't seen any promotion for this. Guess I can skip it.
Old 07-13-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

So they're really remaking the movie for TV not continuing the story. The Swagger books are some of my favorites and a series provides an opportunity to explore Donnie's story in the war a lot more and bring in Earl Swagger, at least through flashbacks. Looks like a wasted opportunity.
Old 07-13-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Stephen Hunter books as well. I don't understand why they're remaking the movie. There are so many other good Swagger stories they could be doing.

I'll still watch this as I enjoyed the movie, but was also in disagreement with the portrayal of Bob Lee.

The trailer doesn't really thrill me, but we'll see.
Old 07-13-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ytrez
So they're really remaking the movie for TV not continuing the story. The Swagger books are some of my favorites and a series provides an opportunity to explore Donnie's story in the war a lot more and bring in Earl Swagger, at least through flashbacks. Looks like a wasted opportunity.
You'll probably disagree, but the movie came out almost 10 years ago. For the TV audience who never saw the Mark Wahlberg movie or read the books, you have to start from scratch and set it up for new viewers to get to know the Swagger character from the start. You can't just jump in the middle expecting people to know who he is.

The books can be used as source material for a future season.
Old 07-15-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

When I couldn't find the premiere on the dvr TV guide, my next thought was, it's probably delayed due to the Dallas shootings. Yup.
Old 07-15-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I do hope it doesn't follow the same beats as the movie.
Old 07-18-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ife-shootings/

Postponed to the Fall now after the latest shootings.

They will still continue production despite the delay.
Old 11-15-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15

SHOOTER "Point of Impact" - 10/9c *Series Premiere*

When a plot to assassinate the President of the United States is discovered, highly-decorated veteran Bob Lee Swagger (Ryan Phillippe) is recruited by his former Commander, Isaac Johnson (Omar Epps), to help prevent the attempt. Meanwhile, disgraced FBI agent Nadine Memphis (Cynthia Addai-Robinson), investigates potential assassins.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Cynthia Addai-Robinson as Nadine Memphis
· David Marciano as John Renlow
· Omar Epps as Isaac Johnson
· Ryan Phillippe as Bob Lee Swagger
· Shantel VanSanten as Julie Swagger
· Tembi Locke as Claire Hopkins
· Eddie McClintock as Jack Payne

10 episode 1st season

This is based on the 2007 movie that starred Mark Wahlberg and the books.

This was originally supposed to air in July, but was postponed due to the news sensitivity of the Orlando and Dallas shootings.

Trailer:

Old 11-16-16, 03:13 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15

Any good ?
Old 11-16-16, 08:17 AM

Re: Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15

Show was a lot better than I was expecting. I'd give the first episode 8/10.
Old 11-16-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Bychance, good to hear...I believe it was supposed to have aired much earlier than now but was delayed due to some behind the scenes issues. I tivoed it and will check it out tonight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.