Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Bychance, good to hear...I believe it was supposed to have aired much earlier than now but was delayed due to some behind the scenes issues. I tivoed it and will check it out tonight.
See my OP, I did mention that it was postponed from the summer. Not because of behind the scenes issues.
Old 11-16-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Shooter (USA) - S: Ryan Phillippe, Omar Epps -- Season 1 Thread - Premieres 11/15

That was pretty cool. Good set up. I'd also give it an 8/10. The last 5 minutes was pretty frenetic.

Had some similarities to the movie.

However, we don't know for sure if Johnson is involved with setting up Swagger like the movie.

They did make Agent Memphis a woman this time around. The movie Michael Pena played Memphis.
Old 11-17-16, 09:40 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was ok, i hope it's not too similar to the movie
Old 11-17-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Glad I never deleted the season pass for this; I didn't know it was finally getting aired. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

I thought it was delayed due to its original air date being right after one of the major shootings/attacks.
Old 11-17-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

I was reading an item on the TV Guide website (which went from benign to very political in the last week). It questioned in its headline if there was ever a time to show this series, criticizing it for fetishizing guns, and (it seemed to me) calling it hypocritical or phony for presenting Swagger (the lead character) as an overly-responsible gun owner.
Old 11-21-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Re: Shooter (USA) - Based on the 2007 Movie -- Ordered to Series

Originally Posted by RichC2
I do hope it doesn't follow the same beats as the movie.
Well... I thought it started out, okay, but yeah, so far it's very similar to the movie.

I enjoyed the movie, but for crying out loud, there is so much material about Bob Lee already, why reuse the same idea as the movie?

To add to my annoyance, the station I recorded it from was playing commercials (during the episode) showing scenes from upcoming episodes. Fucking idiots. Guess i'll just torrent it from now on, if I stick with it. I'm hoping they blow out the movie part within a couple of episodes, then get on to some new material.
Old 11-22-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by andicus
Well... I thought it started out, okay, but yeah, so far it's very similar to the movie.

I enjoyed the movie, but for crying out loud, there is so much material about Bob Lee already, why reuse the same idea as the movie?

To add to my annoyance, the station I recorded it from was playing commercials (during the episode) showing scenes from upcoming episodes. Fucking idiots. Guess i'll just torrent it from now on, if I stick with it. I'm hoping they blow out the movie part within a couple of episodes, then get on to some new material.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638...1-15-16-a.html

The search engine on this forum really sucks. I posted a newer thread last week (page 2), but I guess it didn't show up. Didn't you notice that there was no talk about it in this thread since July?

A mod can feel free to merge the 2 threads.
Old 11-22-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did search. I must've missed it, as this was the first thread I saw.
Old 11-22-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked this the most of the recent USA series eyewitness and falling water, I've dropped those for now. but this one held my attention. I'm in for now...
Old 11-22-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

2nd episode airs tonight at 10pm ET

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 22

SHOOTER "Exfil" - 10/9c

Bob Lee (Ryan Phillippe) struggles to protect his family from inside the walls of SeaTac Federal Detention Center while Isaac (Omar Epps) tries to figure out how to silence him. Meanwhile, Nadine (Cynthia Addai-Robinson) investigates further and reaches out to Bob Lee's wife, Julie (Shantel VanSanten), who deals with the fallout against her family after the incident.

Regarding some of the key differences from the movie.

As I said in my post last week. Agent Memphis is a woman here. Also, IIRC Bob Lee was single in the movie and here he's married with a daughter.

I do hope tonight and future episodes aren't a carbon copy with who the villains are. Danny Glover played Omar Epps character in the movie and he was a villain there.
Old 11-24-16, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great episode. Those action scenes were brutal.

They probably just want to cover familiar ground for the first season.
Old 11-25-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Saw episode 2 tonight.

While they are covering some similar ground to the movie, I think they are making a few different moves to give the show it's own identity.

This episode did reveal that Epps character Isaac Johnson like his movie counterpart is part of the conspiracy to frame Swagger.

and they changed the assassination victim as being Russian (movie was Ethiopian). President wasn't shot as the 1st episode alluded.

Prison fight scenes with Swagger in the episode were pretty brutal.
Old 11-26-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it is changed in a few interesting ways. Although I'd rather it was a completely different storyline, I am enjoying it and will definitely keep watching. It was certainly better downloaded with commercials removed.

I'm not too thrilled with the casting of Sam Vincent. He seems too young, compared to the character in the novels.
Old 11-26-16, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I never got around to seeing the movie, so the show has been a pleasant surprise. Epps and Phillippe have been great in their roles, though you do have to block out Phillippe's prior career as this is a much different role.

The prison fighting scene was brutal and harsh.
Old 11-26-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not too thrilled with the casting of Sam Vincent. He seems too young, compared to the character in the novels.
How old is that character supposed to be? David Andrews, who plays Vincent, is 64.
Old 11-26-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
and they changed the assassination victim as being Russian (movie was Ethiopian).
Actually, the victim is Ukrainian; the Russians are behind the conspiracy to assassinate him. I think with this storyline they're alluding to real-life events surrounding the Russian incursion into the Ukraine.
Old 11-29-16, 08:54 AM

Yes the prison fight was pretty cool but it's not like it was 'Banshee' level cool or even close to it

Whilst there's a few differences, the original movie wasn't that great that i want to see an entire retread of it. Unlike from Dusk to Dawn the series where it was cool seeing a tv remake of the movie

will give it another episode
Old 11-29-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked Ep 2, enjoying this show.
Old 12-03-16, 02:13 AM

Better episode

Don't like Swagger trusting the female FBI agent too much

Spencer Strassmore (character from Ballers) appeared in credits
Old 12-03-16, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Better episode

Don't like Swagger trusting the female FBI agent too much

Spencer Strassmore (character from Ballers) appeared in credits
That's one of the problems that is brought about by re-using material from the film.

Spoiler:
If you watched the film, you already know that her film equivalent, Nick Memphis, was trustworthy as he helped Bob Lee, greatly.

I am still enjoying this series, however.
Old 12-03-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I've found each episode riveting so far, though I wonder where they could take this concept for a second season.
Old 12-05-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^There is loads of material already written about Bob Lee. If so desired, they could also shift gears and do a story on his father, or (so not to spoil any books) other characters.
Old 12-09-16, 07:19 PM

That's one of the problems that is brought about by re-using material from the film.

Spoiler:
If you watched the film, you already know that her film equivalent, Nick Memphis, was trustworthy as he helped Bob Lee, greatly.

I am still enjoying this series, however.
Even without knowing that information, I thought it was pretty obvious she's a good guy.
Old 12-13-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got caught up with the show.

New episode airs tonight.

Last episode was great. That fight scene between Bob Lee, Payne and Memphis was solid and brutal. Guess now we can assume that Memphis will be working on Bob Lee's side since Payne tried to kill her.

Man, Johnson is cold blooded. Scene where he visited the dead soldier's Mom, who helped Bob Lee, and then casually strangled her gave me chills. Kudos to Omar Epps for playing that scene so cold and emotionless.
Old 12-14-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Not much of a stretch; lol. Most everything I see Epps in is cold and emotionless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.