Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/16

Had to take something like this pay inequality issue to give a massive publicity to the show. I bet this will get bigger ratings now...
Old 07-07-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Had to take something like this pay inequality issue to give a massive publicity to the show. I bet this will get bigger ratings now...
No kidding, this is probably the most attention H50 has gotten in the public since it premiered 7 years ago. Otherwise, it was looked at by most as just another crime procedural for old people. There are probably some clicking this thread out of curiosity as to why the hell a CBS show has 100+ posts.

CBS has taken a pretty nasty PR hit it in the last 2 years. 1st, Thomas Gibson getting fired from Criminal Minds last summer and now this. Plus, they got shit for cutting back and eventually dropping 2 female cast members from Criminal Minds several years ago, who they re-hired after severe backlash.
Old 07-07-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

So.. who's still on the show that's part of the team?

McGarrett, Danny, Grover, Jerry, Abby

Who can they promote? Can Catherine come back? They need to find some local to fulfill those lost roles.
Old 07-07-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Daniel Dae Kim is one of my favorite actors, so I'm definitely disappointed in this departure. Funny that the two "Hawaiian" main characters on the show are gone.
Old 07-07-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So.. who's still on the show that's part of the team?

McGarrett, Danny, Grover, Jerry, Abby

Who can they promote? Can Catherine come back? They need to find some local to fulfill those lost roles.
According to EW.com:

the show is casting a new female series regular named Tani, a stubborn but smart and courageous former first-rate candidate who was kicked out of the police academy for cheating on her final exam — oh, and punching out a training officer, who apparently deserved to get socked. She’s currently working as a lifeguard when McGarrett and Danno try to enlist her for Five-0.
Old 07-08-17, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

You know, thinking about this a little more, I've decided to delete Hawaii Five-O from my DVR.

As I already mentioned, I'm on staff of an Asian-American film festival and have had many long talks with API actors and directors including both DDK and Grace Park. Usually over drinks, lots of drinks, but that's beside the point. I've heard countless stories about how doors are slammed in the faces of these talented people, or when they do get work, it's in a very stereotyped role (Roger Fan tells a hilarious story about getting selected for a part, then on the day of shooting having to wear nothing but short-shorts, be totally painted gold, and swing a big hammer to a gong. Something his agent failed to tell him).

And not even considering the racial aspect of this, it's also quite obvious by the plotlines of the final episodes of season 7 that the writers were ready for Kim and Park to not be in the show for season 8. So the idea that this was a demand from the actors and not a long-simmering contract negotiation that they refused to budge on is ludicrous. They had their bases covered if Kim and Park didn't come around, and that might be the most offensive part of it all; basically they were made expendable, did not get the raises they asked for, and it all became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not sure if I'm adequately explaining that, and no I have not been drinking tonight.

But yeah, I'm done with H50.
Old 07-19-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

‘Hawaii Five-O’ Adds Three Series Regulars After Season 8 Casting Shakeup
TV Reporter Elizabeth Wagmeister @EWagmeister
JULY 19, 2017 | 12:16PM PT

“Hawaii Five-O” is making big changes ahead of its eighth season, adding three series regulars to the CBS series. Variety has learned that Meaghan Rath and Beulah Koale have joined the cast, while Ian Anthony Dale has been upped to a series regular.

The casting news comes after stars Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park departed the series, as both actors were not able to come to terms on new deals to return for another season.

Rath will play Tani Rey, who McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) recruits after finding her working as a lifeguard at a hotel pool after she was kicked out of the Police Academy, despite being a first-rate candidate. Rath is best known for starring on “Being Human,” and also has had prominent roles on Fox’s “Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life,” “New Girl” and ABC’s “Secrets and Lies.” She is repped by Paul Kohner Agency.

Koale will play Junior Reigns, a former Navy SEAL who just returned from serving his country and asks McGarrett for a job in hopes to re-purpose his skills as a member of Five-0. Koale, who will next star opposite Miles Teller in the film “Thank You For Your Service,” is repped by Red11 Management.

Dale, who has recurred on the procedural since Season 2 and appeared in over 30 episodes of series, will continue in his role as Adam Noshimuri, who becomes a trusted confidant and resource for the team who will now be recruited by McGarrett to work for Five-0. Dale, who is repped by Paul Kohner Agency, is also starring on CBS’s summer series “Salvation.”

The three new recruits join stars O’Loughlin and Scott Caan, along with Chi McBride, Jorge Garcia, Taylor Wily, Kimee Balmilero and Dennis Chun, who will all return for Season 8, which premieres on Friday, Sept. 29 at 9 p.m. “Hawaii Five-0” hails from CBS Television studios and is executive produced by Peter Lenkov, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Eric Guggenheim.

The casting changes will result in more diverse actors in series regular roles on the CBS roster. The departures of Kim and Park, both of whom are Asian American, caused an uproar from fans of the show who criticized the network’s lack of diversity, though CBS released a statement regarding Kim and Park, saying, “We did not want to lose them and tried very hard to keep them with offers for large and significant salary increases.” Lenkov, exec producer and showrunner, supported the network’s statement, adding, “Both actors chose not to extend their contracts. CBS was extremely generous and proactive in their renegotiation talks. So much so, the actors were getting unprecedented raises, but in the end they chose to move on. No one wanted to see them go — they are irreplaceable.”

Industry insiders told Variety that both O’Loughlin and Caan are making around $200,000 per episode each for the upcoming season, and the offer to Kim was roughly $5,000 less than the two lead actors. However, another source said the differential was more significant.

Kim posted a message to his fans on Facebook, writing, “As an Asian American actor, I know first-hand how difficult it is to find opportunities at all, let alone play a well developed, three dimensional character like Chin Ho. I will miss him sincerely. What made him even more special is that he was a representative of a place my family and I so dearly love. It has been nothing short of an honor to be able to showcase the beauty and people of Hawaii every week, and I couldn’t be prouder to call these islands home.”

So far, Park has not commented on her departure from the series.
I've not finished season 7 yet (I'm about half way through), so I'm confused as to how they keep Adam on the show without Kono.
Old 07-19-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I've not finished season 7 yet (I'm about half way through), so I'm confused as to how they keep Adam on the show without Kono.
Should be clearer once you finish the season.
Old 07-19-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I liked Meaghan Rath from Being Human. She's part Indian and British, so she has the looks for someone from the Islands. Obviously she and the other guy are much cheaper hires than Kim and Park.

Going to be weird having Adam as a member of the team without Kono around.
Old 07-19-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I put up with a lot of shit from this show (anyone remember that shameless Subway product placement?). So my standards are pretty low with this show.

But I may have to dump this show this upcoming season, after I watch the season premiere to see if I like the changes.

I didn't care for Kono, but still pissed about Daniel Dae Kim leaving.

If they continue 24 again one day with Kiefer, he needs to return there (he was in season 2 and 3)
Old 07-20-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, so what'll be Adam Noshimuri's role now other than the ex-Yakuza con whose wife just left him without notice to go after the child prostitution ring?

I wouldn't be surprised if they convince him to be a part of H5O squad.
Old 07-20-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

OK, so what'll be Adam Noshimuri's role now other than the ex-Yakuza con whose wife just left him without notice to go after the child prostitution ring?

What Kono's doing would be selfless and noble if she weren't married. Instead it looks like she walked out on her marriage. They should kill her off to explain her absence.
Old 07-20-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
What Kono's doing would be selfless and noble if she weren't married. Instead it looks like she walked out on her marriage. They should kill her off to explain her absence.
The plane she was on in the last scene crashed.
Old 07-20-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah, that would be a bit of a stretch. Nothing new for Hawaii Five-0 though. Having an ex-con mob boss with a badge shouldn't fly, despite the apparent Governor given autonomy that the team has, but I could see him being an advisor on all things organized crime related, they way they used Jerry in the beginning of his run. Depending on what happens with Kono next season, I can also see Adam going dark and getting back into his Yakuza persona to go after the people that perhaps killed his wife. Have that be an ongoing arc with the team helping at certain points.

Last edited by jjcool; 07-20-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Read the story on Post 107

Steve recruits him to join the Five-O team.
Old 07-20-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm still miffed about all this. Seriously, how are they going to arrest people while surfing without Kono???!

Old 07-20-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

I haven't watched this show since season 1, but I like Meaghan Rath so I may have to tune in to see her.

Sorry to hear about Park and Kim, though. I like them from other shows. Hell, I'd much rather watch them than O'Loughlin and Caan.
Old 07-20-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The messed up part is that Caan is absent for about 3-4 episodes per season, and still gets paid more than Kim and Park!