Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

9/22/04 - Oceanic Flight 815 - Never Forget

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
9/22/04 - Oceanic Flight 815 - Never Forget

Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 was a scheduled flight from Sydney, Australia to Los Angeles, California, United States, on a Boeing 777-200ER. On September 22, 2004 at 4:16 P.M., the airliner, carrying 324 passengers, deviated from its original course and disappeared over the Pacific Ocean.

Flight 815's breakup and crash was due to Desmond Hume failing to enter a code into the Swan station computer, causing a large burst of electromagnetic energy. The true cause of the plane's off-course deviation and arrival to the Island's airspace was Jacob, the supernatural entity who protected the Island. Jacob brought the plane because many of the flight's passengers were candidates to replace him as protector of the Island.
12 years! Damn I miss this show. I can remember it being one of the most talked about series than any other show on TV, even more than "Who shot JR". I dont think any show before LOST, had audiences so enthralled that they kept notes, and added to LOST wiki sites and was the talk of all at water coolers around the world. Speculation was the most exciting thing. I dont think I, or many who watched, could do no less than sleep for a week just so the time would pass in order to watch the next episode.

Do you think there are shows just as involved or will there ever be such a show again?
Old 09-22-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: 9/22/04 - Oceanic Flight 815 - Never Forget

It's been off the air for almost as long as it was on the air. That makes me feel old.

Show was just a ridiculous amount of fun.
Old 09-22-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Probably my favorite show of all time if I mentally block out Lost's last season. I don't think networks will capture the dense narrative structure of Lost ever again. The closest thing today in comparison is Game of Thrones, which has thousands of pages to draw from as a source.

I will give ABC credit for letting the writers run wild. Many networks would have never allowed introducing supernatural and sci-fi elements into a mainstream drama.

I have to believe we get a reboot or sequel movie at some point in the future. It still has a huge fanbase and it's not like the Lost actors have monster careers.
Old 09-22-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Really wish the last season didn't sour me, but it did. Terrible ending. I used to look forward to this show every week and it was a great ride when it was good. It could have gone down as one of the greatest series of all time if they had stuck the landing, but sadly that didn't happen.
Old 09-22-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Really wish the last season didn't sour me, but it did. Terrible ending. I used to look forward to this show every week and it was a great ride when it was good. It could have gone down as one of the greatest series of all time if they had stuck the landing, but sadly that didn't happen.
Well said...

I still think of the "Desmond in the hatch reveal/Make Your Kind of Music" (S02E01 ?) reveal and the "We have to back" realization two of the show's greatest jawdrop moments, in a series that had many.
Old 09-22-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think even with the ending it had, it's still probably one of the, if not the, greatest television series ever.
Old 09-22-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Hell, I named my son Aaron, after Claire's baby boy during S2 of LOST (and after Mr. Eko's awesome speech about Aaron & Moses which seems to not be on YouTube unfortunately). I'm unlikely to ever forget the show.

And the last season might have disappointed somewhat, but I didn't think it was terrible by any stretch. It still felt emotionally satisfying to me even if it didn't make a ton of sense.
Old 09-22-16, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just recently started watching the series on blu-ray with our two kids, 11 and 13. I love the show so much so it is so nice to be able to watch it again with them.

Our 13 year old son absolutely loves it. I love being able to see them seeing it for the first time and having the same reactions we did when we saw it the first time. I also enjoy asking them what they think certain things are to hear what their theories are.

We are nearing the end of season 1 already. I can't wait until we get to some of the real crazy stuff! I wouldn't say I was 100% happy or satisfied with the ending, but I still enjoyed it and it didn't diminish the series for me. I just wish they had a gone a couple more seasons and that they wouldn't have had the writer's strike-shortened season 4.
Old 09-22-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the thing that makes the ending sting more is they had 3 seasons to plan it. They admitted they were making it up as they went along but they had their chances to reign it in and tie it together.

S1 is still one of the best seasons of TV I've ever watched.
Old 09-22-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorites.

Last season was bad, but the series finale was PERFECT. At least the last scene...
Old 09-22-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
One of my favorites.

Last season was bad, but the series finale was PERFECT. At least the last scene...
Agreed. The episode ending was a nice farewell and touching.
Better than a blank screen ...
Old 09-22-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I read a lot of the internet theories during the first couple seasons, and then I realized reading them really ruined the viewing experience (even if the theories weren't true). So I just enjoyed watching the show as-is.

But I did enjoy seeing the images people screen captured that had easter eggs.
Old 09-23-16, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I liked the finale too (loved the seasons 1+5), but the last season leading up to that finale, was utterly terrible.
Old 09-23-16, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The season finale of season 2 may be may all-time favorite television episode.
Old 09-23-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was so touching when Sayid finally forgot about that whore Nadia and wound up with his life-long love, Shannon.
Old 09-23-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up the final two seasons on blu ray I was missing. We'll probably start re-watching the series for first time in the next month or so. It should be a fun ride again.
Old 09-23-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I still think the season 3 finale has the most incredible reveal in television history.
Old 09-23-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Greatest four season series ever.
Old 09-23-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
I liked the finale too (loved the seasons 1+5), but the last season leading up to that finale, was utterly terrible.
I don't think the final season was terrible. The flash sideways were completely unnecessary & really didn't have anything to do with the story. If anything all they did was confuse the audience into thinking they have been dead the entire time. The finale was terrible. Take the flash sideways away & have a better finale that made sense & it would have been much better.
Richard's backstory was a great episode, so was Jacob's / Man in Black's backstory episodes. The flash sideways & final episode just plain sucked though.
Old 09-23-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
It sounds like Internet whining, but in this case it's a pretty valid point. I started late with Lost, catching up and starting "live" with the next to last season. Watching all those DVDs, I thought more than once how interesting it will be to revisit this someday and pick up on the myriad clues left for us. But once it was shown that the whole thing was being made up as they went along, and the nonsensical ending was pretty much just mumbo jumbo, I lost all interest whatsoever.

Hell, the short they released for the last season's DVDs with Ben and Hurley tying up loose DHARMA ends was better than the finale.
Old 09-23-16, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I don't think the final season was terrible. The flash sideways were completely unnecessary & really didn't have anything to do with the story. If anything all they did was confuse the audience into thinking they have been dead the entire time. The finale was terrible. Take the flash sideways away & have a better finale that made sense & it would have been much better.
Richard's backstory was a great episode, so was Jacob's / Man in Black's backstory episodes. The flash sideways & final episode just plain sucked though.
There was no flash sideways. That's what people thought it was while it was airing, but they eventually showed us that isn't what was going on. It was a flash forward to (effectively) purgatory, far into the future after (basically) everyone had died. The "flash sideways" world was purgatory, where they lived out a better version of their lives and found peace before moving on.

When the show first ended, there were a staggering number of people who didn't like the season who (in my experience) didn't understand what they saw. I'm not saying everyone, but enough that I noticed.

I liked the whole show. However, there were some places where the "make it up as you go along" approach didn't work so well, but I forget the details of what those were at this point. It probably had something to do with the magical fountain people late in the show's run.

I have watched the MiB episodes several times since the show ended and maybe a few others. I have not gone back and watched the whole show, but that's only because I have so many unwatched things in my queue to make it through first.
Old 09-24-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It gets discussed a lot, I liked most of the last season and most of the finale, it mostly worked for me. That said, it took me years to finally finish the last season and I absolutely hated the Across the Sea episode.

The finale did some silly things, I didn't like it's reliance on an Indiana Jones type Idol and the entire season's flash forward to purgatory was kind of off, but in general I was satisfied. Some people made it off the island, some people didn't, and the ones that parted ways nicely with the production got to have a final cameo paycheck at the end
Old 09-24-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Loved this show from beginning to end. The final season and series finale didn't bug me at all. Still think about this show every time I see one of the actors on another series, and I still play the music from it. A spinoff would be great, but I hope they never reboot the show as a do-over.
Old 09-25-16, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What really surprises me, not really, is that there are still people, that after hate watching the entire series, they still complain that they were dead the whole time...
Old 09-25-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Loved this show from beginning to end. The final season and series finale didn't bug me at all. Still think about this show every time I see one of the actors on another series, and I still play the music from it. A spinoff would be great, but I hope they never reboot the show as a do-over.

You mean this "spinoff"?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It's fake, it was posted about 1 year ago.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-25-16 at 12:43 AM.