Pitch (FOX) -- MLB Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Pitch (FOX) -- MLB Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/16

Pitch
pic host

From executive producers Dan Fogelman ("Cars," "Crazy, Stupid, Love.") and Rick Singer ("Younger," "American Dad"), PITCH is the dramatic and inspirational story of a young pitcher who becomes the first woman to play Major League Baseball. A beautiful, tough and gifted athlete, GINNY BAKER (Kylie Bunbury, "Under The Dome") is vaulted into instant fame when she's called up by the San Diego Padres to make her Major League debut. Like any rookie, Ginny must prove herself to her teammates. Foremost among them is MIKE LAWSON (Mark-Paul Gosselaar, "Franklin & Bash," "NYPD Blue"), the team's ruggedly handsome star catcher. There's instant chemistry between them, although neither dares admit it. After all, Mike is captain of the team and a few of his players don't even want Ginny on the field. One of the players watching Ginny's back is center fielder BLIP SANDERS (Mo McRae, "Sons of Anarchy"), an old friend from the minor leagues. Guiding her is her agent/confidante AMELIA SLATER (Ali Larter, "Legends," "Heroes"). Amelia saw Ginny's star potential early on and left her previous job as a Hollywood publicist to concentrate on the young phenom. Although groomed for this moment by her demanding father, BILL BAKER (guest star Michael Beach, "Sons of Anarchy"), the end of Ginny's improbable journey is the beginning of an almost impossible one: representing her gender as she embarks on a successful baseball career under the glare of the white-hot media spotlight. It's a goal hard enough for anyone to achieve - except this player is also a woman, who happens to be the most important historical figure in sports since Jackie Robinson. This season, Ginny Baker will be the other woman trying to break into one of the oldest, most exclusive men's clubs in the country.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Ali Larter as Amelia Slater
· Dan Lauria as Al Luongo
· Kylie Bunbury as Ginny Baker
· Mark Consuelos as Oscar Arguella
· Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Mike Lawson
· Meagan Holder as Evelyn Sanders
· Mo McRae as Blip Sanders
· Tim Jo as Eliot

CREW INFORMATION:
· Dan Fogelman as CRTR/EP
· Helen Bartlett as EP
· Jess Rosenthal as EP
· Kevin Falls as EP
· Paris Barclay as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Rick Singer as CRTR/EP
· Tony Bill as EP

GENRE(S):
· drama

STUDIO INFORMATION:
· 20th Century Fox Television
· Rhode Island Ave. Productions

This show is produced in conjunction with Major League Baseball. They can use all the logos, team names etc. It is also filmed at Petco Park, where the Padres play. Several former MLB players are technical advisors on the show.

I read depending on how the show does, they plan to shoot more episodes at other MLB ballparks and possibly have cameos from real players.

This story details the partnership with MLB.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-league-928390

MLB insiders stress there are no topics off-limits, though it's understood that steroids, domestic abuse and gambling — issues that have plagued the league — are off the table (at least for now). "Their main concerns were that we were going to paint the game in a bad light," says co-creator Rick Singer, who, after the 1999 Women's World Cup victory, envisioned the baseball drama as a movie. "They wanted to make sure we were interested in telling good stories and not salacious, just for the sake of, 'Oh, let's do steroids this week and gambling next week.' "
Old 09-22-16, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Pitch (FOX) -- MLB Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/16

No topics are off-limits... except for steroids, domestic abuse and gambling. But other than those three major things, no holds barred.

Also, based on the spots I've seen, I actually think this would've been better off as a movie.
Old 09-22-16, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

This is the one new show I've been looking forward to watching. I hope it doesn't suck.
Old 09-22-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

They must have paid Ali Larter a boatload of money. Once you get past the novelty factor of the premise, I'm not sure how this concept works as a viable network show.
Old 09-22-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Have you seen Ali Larter's career lately? She is probably happy to have a network job. I love baseball but I have zero interest in this.
Old 09-22-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd be shocked if this makes it past 6 episodes before being cancelled. I'm sure Fox is hoping for a strong tie-in with the playoffs but I really don't think most people will care to watch it.
Old 09-22-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

No message

Last edited by mcnabb; 09-23-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Planning to watch with my daughters, hope its pg��
Old 09-22-16, 09:08 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This wasn't bad. But once again, I am asking myself, how can this sustain it self as a show and stay interesting? I've been asking that a lot from the new shows I've checked out this season so far. It seems like a lot of these shows are coming from failed feature film ideas. Ironically, a lot of these creators of these new crop of shows come from features.
Old 09-23-16, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the Padres play in a Turn Back the Clock game. Bring Back the Brown!
Old 09-23-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

It was no Bull Durham or even A League of Their Own, but pretty good. I'm not sure Buck and Smoltz would actually make some of those comments in real life, but most of the baseball scenes were fairly well done (sans the terrible special effects).

I'll stick with it because I love baseball, but I'm not sure how fresh they can keep this from week to week. As stated previously, once you get past the novelty I wonder where they can take it.

Definitely liked the twist at the end.
Old 09-23-16, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is far from terrible.
Supporting cast is really good and Ali plays a great bitchy hot chick. I think the star of the show is way too good looking to sell that "I don't have any friends" line but whatever.

I have no idea where this show can go once it burns out all the normal sport movie cliches. It's why shows don't tend to focus on just one player but go with the team or an agent/coach. I mean sure Eastbound & Down was able to focus on just one player over 4 seasons but I sort of *cough* doubt they can go with the same themes.

most annoying thing was that BS deceptive Kohl's ad they ran at I think the first commercial break. They fade back in with the fake tv rating box in the upper left corner to try to make it look like the show was back and the guy going "I'm her social media person". Yet it was was just an ad for a blender.
Old 09-23-16, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everyone saying how does this premise support a series. We've already seen her debut in the majors, pitch poorly, and then pitch a solid game.

I feel like that is where the movie would have ended, so it will be interesting to learn where they take the show now. I don't think I'll watch week to week (it just felt a bit slight for my tastes), but there are worse things on TV than this.
Old 09-23-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I turned it off halfway through. As others have said, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't that interesting after they delivered their message (women are great, stereotypes, overcoming adversity, Jackie Robinson, etc etc). There's really nowhere else for them to go.
Old 09-23-16, 08:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Once you get past the novelty factor of the premise, I'm not sure how this concept works as a viable network show.
This is my problem as well. I feel like they blew their primary emotional load in the pilot, so what's left for me to give a crap about? She's already good and she's already succeeded in doing the one big thing the show is about. It's like starting a Hoosiers series with them winning the championship in the first episode. Why am I supposed to stay invested in her journey?

I thought this pilot was decent, but my biggest issue is that I just don't feel attached any of these characters. My jumping right in with both feet where they did, I feel like we're not getting any of the grounding that should make these moments matter. Even Ginny... they were going for 'brave heroine fighting the system and struggling against adversity', but she came off more like a surly diva in many of the scenes. Surely by this point in her career she would have familiar with butt slapping in sports! Had this been a season 1 finale and not the series premiere, I can't help but think this all would have been far more effective.

As for everyone else, Ali's character was basically a PG-fied gender swapped version of Entourage's Ari Gold. The catcher had his moments, although some of his 'humorous banter' was cringeworthy. Of course the rival pitcher had to be the cliched a-hole... how much more interesting would it have been on a dramatic level if instead the other pitcher was the buddy from the minors?
Old 09-23-16, 09:41 AM

My wife had the remote last night and was excited to check out some new shows. She started with Notorious, we couldn't make it to the first ad it was so bad. Then she switched to this and we saw a scene or two, and turned it off. I'm not a fan of Kylie Bunbury, didn't like her in Under the Dome, and in this neither of us could stand her.
Old 09-23-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I did not watch, nor do I have any interest. From the comments it sounds like this could have worked better as a series where she has to work her way up through the minors. It could have focused on relationships, while navigating the backwaters of baseball.

The pilot setting would have been good buildup for a season 3 or 4 premier. They even could have had her demoted back to the minors on merit (or lackthereof). How does a player deal with the rebound back down?
Old 09-23-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should do an episode where she plunks a guy and gets rushed on the mound...only to fall in love with the guy she hit!
Old 09-23-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

She could probably actually pitch for San Diego this season.
Old 09-23-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit I'd take her over James Shields too.
Old 09-23-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The pilot is actually pretty good, I bet someone wrote this script up as a theatrical feature before TV picked it up.

The good news is that Kylie looks like a female athlete, which makes the veracity of her portrayal infinitely easier to handle as a skeptical audience.

I liked the little baseball touches, though there is no way they'd break in the first ever female pitcher in a complete start. Even many top pitching prospects are allowed to break in with bullpen stints before starting.

They've already blown several major plot developments in the pilot like her first appearance at the MLB level. A show wanting to be around for a long time would have saved that moment for later.

I like the cast, including Ali Larter as a smarmy Hollywood press agent. I'll give it a couple of episodes to see where they take this show. I'm guessing it's going to cover the female celebrity aspect more than a traditional sports series.
Old 09-23-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They should do an episode where she plunks a guy and gets rushed on the mound...only to fall in love with the guy she hit!
Not sure about her falling in love with the guy she hits but I did read somewhere that there will be an episode where the Padres and Cardinals get into a huge brawl due to batters on each team getting hit.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 09-23-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The good news is that Kylie looks like a female athlete, which makes the veracity of her portrayal infinitely easier to handle as a skeptical audience.
Kylie comes from a sports family - her father - Alex - was a soccer star - played with the Canadian Mens National Soccer Team (LB - I think he appeared for them in their last World Cup appearance which was in 1986.) and her brother - Teal - currently plays for the New England Revolution of Major League Soccer.

Credit to soccer writer Grant Wahl - Sports Illustrated Website - for that info.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 09-23-16 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Until a couple days ago I didnt know this was a series. thought it was a tv movie.
Also I thiought the girl was a young teen making a ml team story.

Apparently she isn't a teen and is full grown very attractive woman.

Watching now.
Old 09-23-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

It felt like a 2 hour movie crammed into 45 minutes.

But, I did like it. Thought it had some charm even though the story was kind of predictable. Kind of reminded me of that kid baseball movie from years ago called "Rookie of the Year"

The twist at the end with her father was a surprise. I'm guessing that asshole pitcher who went into her face will probably be her bitter arch nemesis throughout the season.

I did like MP Gosselaar as the Padres catcher.

Even if the ratings aren't good, I have a feeling that FOX will try to keep this on the air because it's a promotional tie in to their deal with Major League Baseball. Plus, they are cross promoting FS1 as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.