TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Designated Survivor (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/21/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Designated Survivor (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/21/16

The pilot was okay.

I liked how level headed Kirkman is, and rooted with a sense of family. I thought the scenes after the event showed a sense of chaos, yet with moments of calm sprinkled in. The scene in the bathroom particularly was done well.

Like others, I did not like the cliches. The general needs to go as soon as possible. The plot with the druggie soon seems like it was almost ripped from the pilot of 24 and Kim's activities.

I think the pilot also needed to be two hours. There was so much going on it needed more time to breath and find its footing. I found it odd there was no briefing, nothing to get him up to speed. Nobody gave him a pep talk - seems like there was supposed to be an extra scene with his HUD assistant. Plus I was waiting for Kirkman to throw down on the general.

I also wasn't keen on the structure. The ending was very abrupt and not in a cliffhanger type fashion. Plus, I would have opened with the scene at the house instead of using the "x hours" earlier plot device.

I do like the premise and some of the cast. I'll keep tuning in for a while to see how things go, but this was not a strong pilot to suck me in.
Old 09-24-16, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
The ultimate plot twist would be if Kiefer's character was the mastermind behind the attack so he could become president
I'm putting my money on a coup framing Iran. The FBI agent and secret service guy will be trying to uncover who's behind the plot, while the villains will be trying to eliminate Sutherland. The general is a red herring. We'll be directed to believe he is behind it, or involved. Turns out he's not.
Old 09-24-16, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, it's not The West Wing or House of Cards. It's too melodramatic, especially the general. I'll try it one more time and see how it goes, but I'm wondering how the fish-out-of-water premise is going to work for the series long term.
Old 09-24-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I liked it but it was hard to see Kiefer as such a wuss after all those years as Jack Bauer.
Old 09-24-16, 04:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Jack Bauer and Nikita in the same show!!!!! oh, but they are pussies.

nevertheless, I dug the pilot... not sure it will make a good sustained series however.
Old 09-24-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Well, it's not The West Wing or House of Cards.
Honestly, it felt to me a lot like 24, but with Keifer in the presidential role. I have a feeling going forward it's going to be split between political drama and action FBI series, just like 24 was, and at times the two will intersect.
Old 09-25-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Honestly, it felt to me a lot like 24, but with Keifer in the presidential role. I have a feeling going forward it's going to be split between political drama and action FBI series, just like 24 was, and at times the two will intersect.
It felt nothing like 24 to me...bad writing, cheap sets, poor F/X...24 felt like a movie on TV. Designated Survivor feels like TV.
Old 09-27-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kirkman being behind it all? No way. But that women that was working for him in his prior role being heavily involved. You bet!

I've always liked the guy playing the general in Turn. He plays a unlikable character very well.

I enjoyed this, but by the end of the episode Kiefer had already turned on the Bauer tone. Show becomes what if Bauer actually became POTUS!