Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Good Place (NBC) -- S: Danson, Bell -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: The Good Place (NBC) -- S: Danson, Bell -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/19/16

Originally Posted by trespoochies
However, one thing that's pissing me off is how Chidi went from being the logical one trying to keep things together, but now appears to be completely indecisive. Not sure why they went that way with his character so fast.
My bet it's to keep the female characters in charge.
Old 01-11-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Re: The Good Place (NBC) -- S: Danson, Bell -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/19/16

Originally Posted by trespoochies
His freak outs have been great. I'm really digging this show as well, and I really do like the characters (and the actors playing them). However, one thing that's pissing me off is how Chidi went from being the logical one trying to keep things together, but now appears to be completely indecisive. Not sure why they went that way with his character so fast.
There was some indications of his indecisiveness before. His massive, incomprehensible tome on ethics was at least partly due to his inability to decide on an overarching thesis for the work.
Old 01-11-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Yeah the indecisiveness has always been there, they just amped it up quite a bit.
Old 01-19-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Ted Danson has a
Spoiler:
fantastic maniacal laugh. This just turned into an episode of Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell

If this show was one and done, I'm glad it concluded as well as it did. Would still gladly take another season. Liked the twist, loved the season.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-19-17 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I loved that twist! There were a couple of times, most prominently when he was best man, that I would think Chidi was an awful friend, but I figured it was all in service to a more noble purpose or something along those lines. I didn't see it leading where it did, but it felt like the perfect way to go. It made me want to revisit the season again.

It definitely sets up possibilities for next season and beyond. They can pretty much reboot the show whenever they need to.
Old 01-20-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice twist. I was wondering where this show could go in future seasons, but this solved it. I hope it gets picked up, the 13 episode seasons will probably help with that.
Old 01-20-17, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a really great first season. My wife loved the final twist, as it addressed some inconsistencies she noticed with how the rules for the Good Place worked.

Anyone else notice that Michael's plans for the neighborhood had "The Good Place" in quotes?

This show, episode after episode, just barreled through plot developments and twists at a breakneck pace. I feel like with other shows, Eleanor revealing herself to everyone would've been held back as the season finale cliffhanger. Instead, it was revealed about halfway through the season.

I'm really looking forward to a second season, which I hope it gets.
Old 01-20-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it explained the thing that irked me the most in terms of "Good Place" consistencies (ie: Michael kicking the dog into the sun). Though I kind of doubted it when it was revealed, Danson really did sell it with that smile and then Vicky getting the "damn it" out uncensored.
Old 01-20-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent twist. Completely changes the dynamic of the show.
Old 01-20-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It was a really great first season. My wife loved the final twist, as it addressed some inconsistencies she noticed with how the rules for the Good Place worked.

Anyone else notice that Michael's plans for the neighborhood had "The Good Place" in quotes?

This show, episode after episode, just barreled through plot developments and twists at a breakneck pace. I feel like with other shows, Eleanor revealing herself to everyone would've been held back as the season finale cliffhanger. Instead, it was revealed about halfway through the season.

I'm really looking forward to a second season, which I hope it gets.
I believe I read that it was already renewed for another 13 episode season.

It was a brilliant finale of what's got to be the best comedy on network television right now imho.
Old 01-20-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I believe I read that it was already renewed for another 13 episode season...
I thought so too, but when I looked into it this morning, it hasn't been renewed yet.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/go...ill-different/
In the interview, Schur teased season two (note: NBC has not yet officially renewed The Good Place for a second season, though it seems likely):
Old 01-20-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently Schur is presenting what Season 2 would entail this week for a Go/No Go since the ratings are borderline.
Old 01-20-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this season, but I'm a concerned about how the show works once the viewers are in on it, but the major characters aren't.
Old 01-20-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 821 Likes on 606 Posts

I just finished the season finale. Holy plot twist! It really made everything fit together really well. I hope they make a season 2, but I'm fine with it ending they way it did if it gets cancelled.
Old 01-21-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a cute show with a couple of very charismatic and likeable leads. The surrounding characters are a little lackluster or at the very least more annoying than funny. I like the show and will watch but won't miss it if it's gone.
Old 01-21-17, 06:58 AM

My wife and I really liked the plot twist in the finale. So looking back, even just recently...

Spoiler:
I assume the "demons" from the Bad Place that tried to recover Fake Elanor were in on it, since Real Elanor was revealed to be an actor. So what about the Middle Place? Was it, and Mindy, real or an extension of Michael's neighborhood? I have not gone back to the footage of the architects and compared them with everyone in the season.
Old 01-21-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
My wife and I really liked the plot twist in the finale. So looking back, even just recently...

Spoiler:
I assume the "demons" from the Bad Place that tried to recover Fake Elanor were in on it, since Real Elanor was revealed to be an actor. So what about the Middle Place? Was it, and Mindy, real or an extension of Michael's neighborhood? I have not gone back to the footage of the architects and compared them with everyone in the season.
Spoiler:
I think the middle place exists within the Bad Place but she's simply left alone. But it's tough to tell, and they only seem to be able to modify Janet a limited amount (ie: "Play sounds from the Bad Place"). I don't think the actual Good Place and Bad Place exist within a train ride of each other.
Old 01-21-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just completely loved the twist. Awesome. Such a great show. If it is back next year, I hope there is less of Jason. Really found him too dumb to enjoy.
Old 01-21-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
Just completely loved the twist. Awesome. Such a great show. If it is back next year, I hope there is less of Jason. Really found him too dumb to enjoy.
I kind of agree. He's good for one liners, but last night's recurring joke about him not understanding how sex works was more confusing than funny. I guess in this world's afterlife the mentally impaired go to hell.
Spoiler:

Which got me thinking that perhaps they aren't really in a "bad place" but some kind of limbo or afterlife rehab area. None of the four seem like genuinely evil people. Eleanor was probably the closest, given her horrible behavior during life, but she reformed pretty quickly.

Last edited by wmansir; 01-21-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-21-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's more that Janet isn't programmed with all human equipment. Kind of like a barbie doll.
Old 01-21-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think it's more that Janet isn't programmed with all human equipment. Kind of like a barbie doll.
That would make logical sense.

Given the reveal I figure the idea is that the "bad place' has many different levels. And in the one we were watching, the subjects are subjected to mental torture and the whims of Michael and the others.

If I had unlimited time I would go back and watch the whole season to pick up on things we might have missed. For example, Chidi never was any different in the beginning since he was never really making decisions. He was just telling others what they were doing wrong, or just being lead around by the others. It was only when he was forced to lead or make decisions that everything fell apart.

If there is another season I hope that they go farther with the idea that if Eleanor and the others figure it all out sooner, they can change how things work farther than they did in the first season. A version of the inmates running the asylum.
Old 01-21-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Yeah, I assumed that was the joke with Janet. I thought it was funny.

The season as a whole wasn't a laugh a minute ride, but it was fun enough with likable characters that I'd stick with for multiple seasons. Plus that ending is fantastic. I assume they figure out sooner next time and try and figure out a real way to the Good Place.

Question, I assume this ran over a minute or so. Was there anything substantial after Eleanor getting her letter back from Janet? She replied "What the fork is a Chidi" and my recording cut off.
Old 01-21-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, I assumed that was the joke with Janet. I thought it was funny.

The season as a whole wasn't a laugh a minute ride, but it was fun enough with likable characters that I'd stick with for multiple seasons. Plus that ending is fantastic. I assume they figure out sooner next time and try and figure out a real way to the Good Place.

Question, I assume this ran over a minute or so. Was there anything substantial after Eleanor getting her letter back from Janet? She replied "What the fork is a Chidi" and my recording cut off.
"What the fork is a Chidi?"
"Why can't I say fork?"
Fremulon.
Old 01-22-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe there was Michael opening the door telling her she's dead and welcoming her to the good place just as in the pilot.
Old 01-22-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
Hes easily the worst part of the show. His character adds literally nothing to the proceedings, and the actor portraying him is bad at delivering his lines.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.