Reload this Page >

Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling coming to Netflix -- 8/9/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-13-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Honestly the show wasn't my favorite of the NickToons but I'll probably still watch this whenever it airs.

'Rocko's Modern Life' TV movie greenlit at Nickelodeon
Exclusive: Your favorite '90s wallaby is coming back to television.

By Marc Snetiker@MarcSnetiker
Posted August 11 2016 - 1:30 PM EST

One of Nickelodeon's most modern characters is getting, well, even more modern.

EW has learned exclusively that Nickelodeon has greenlit a TV movie of Rocko's Modern Life, the classic '90s animated Nicktoon created by Joe Murray.

The one-hour TV special will bring back all of the beloved characters in Rocko's fictional city of O-Town. Murray will return as executive producer and co-director of the film, which will be produced out of Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank.

"I'm very happy to be rejoining Rocko and my friends from O-Town again," Murray said in a statement. "What I have found by bringing these characters back is that it's not so much about nostalgia, but a sense that they still feel relevant and fresh to me, and after 20 years, they can't wait to comment on modern life in the 21st century. They still have a lot to say."

Rocko's Modern Life ran for four seasons from 1993 to 1996 on Nickelodeon. The series followed the wildly ordinary (or ordinarily wild) life of a wallaby named Rocko, his dog Spunky, and his eccentric friends: Heffer, an idiotic steer; Filburt, a turtle with spectacular neuroses; and Mr. and Mrs. Bighead, a middle-aged amphibian couple. The show was known for its surreal aesthetic, copious double entendres, and widespread social satire -- which one can only imagine will feel right at home in 2016.

The timing of this announcement is particularly special -- Aug. 11 marks the exact 25th anniversary of the Nicktoons brand, which launched in 1991 with Doug, Rugrats, and The Ren & Stimpy Show. (Read EW's oral history of Nicktoons here.) Rocko was the next official Nicktoon to join the successful line-up in 1993.

TV movie reboots are also in the air for two other big Nick titles: The game show Legends of the Hidden Temple premieres as a live-action scripted movie this fall, while Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie premieres next year, picking up right after the events of the original series.

"Greenlighting a Rocko's Modern Life special is another strong example of how we are bringing our library content back for both new audiences and the generation that grew up on them in the '90s," said Chris Viscardi of Nickelodeon Franchise Properties. "It's a testament to the strength and appeal of these characters that so many people have loved Nick animation for these last 25 years, and we are excited to bring them back for new stories and adventures."

No title, casting, or release date has been set yet for the Rocko's Modern Life TV movie.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/11...n?iid=sr-link1
Old 08-13-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
re: Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling coming to Netflix -- 8/9/19

Sure. I'll watch this.

This renews my hope for a Doug live action movie. And a Pete and Pete Pixar movie.

Haha. Really though. Pete and Pete was ahead of its time and it left a vacuum that's never been filled.
Old 06-22-17, 11:28 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Nickelodeon on Thursday officially announced that a one-hour TV special, Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling, will reunite the animated series’ original voice cast as the characters adjust to life in the 21st century.

And some will adjust more successfully than others. Per the network, “Heffer and Filburt embrace every aspect of new technology, social media and the endless diversity of food trucks, [while] Rocko whole-heartedly believes his nostalgia for the past can save him from the tortures of the modern world.” (Don’t we all?)

Returning voices include Carlos Alazraqui (The Fairly OddParents) as Rocko, Spunky, and Leon; Tom Kenny (SpongeBob SquarePants) as Heffer Wolfe, Chuck, and Really Really Big Man; Mr. Lawrence (SpongeBob) as Filburt Turtle and Maitre D’; Charlie Adler (Blaze and the Monster Machines) as Ed Bighead, Bev Bighead, Mr. Dupette, Grandpa Wolfe, and Mrs. Fathead; Linda Wallem (Nurse Jackie) as Aunt Gretchen and Dr. Hutchinson; Jill Talley (SpongeBob) as Nosey and Joe Murray as Ralph.

A few new voices will also be added to the mix, including Steve Little (Adventure Time) as Cowboy and Cosmo Segurson as Pillow Salesman.

Rocko’s Modern Life is the latest in a series of classic NickToons getting the TV movie treatment. Hey Arnold!: The Movie premieres this fall, while the network is also cooking up a small-screen special for Invader Zim.
http://tvline.com/2017/06/22/rockos-...ice-cast-2018/
Old 07-17-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Rocko's Modern Life

Resurrecting the shit out of this thread, I expect flack for it. Anyway this is out on Netflix on August 9th.

Something nice for the OP's 49th.
Old 07-17-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Rocko's Modern Life

This is awesome.
Old 08-08-19, 02:39 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

<iframe width="697" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Now4KeAiys" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After 20 years in space, Rocko returns to a technologically advanced O-Town and makes it his mission to get his favorite show back on the air. The 90's have never looked better - Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling arrives August 9, only on Netflix!
This is up tomorrow.
Old 08-11-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling coming to Netflix -- 8/9/19

This was very on the nose with it's meta-ness and essentially calls everyone out for wanting more nostalgia, enjoyed it

Last edited by RichC2; 08-11-19 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 07:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling coming to Netflix -- 8/9/19

Watched my first ever episode of the original series the other day and really enjoyed it. Guess I’ll get to this new one in about 25 years.