TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - premieres 7/13/16

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - premieres 7/13/16

Originally Posted by slop101
Why did they stay inside that house without having a clue when/if that lawyer was coming back? They're usually more thoughtful than that - well, unless the script needs them to be dumb.
There was a throwaway line about someone not keeping an eye on the GPS which would tell them when the owner was coming home. Simpler answer is it was a plot-driven action (or inaction).
Old 08-26-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, best episode of the season.

And as mentioned, the saddest part is that the protagonist of the show was not present, other than some mention of him.

So the big question now is, how can Elliott be back into the main story, without it being forced?
Old 08-26-16, 07:52 PM

At this point I'm more interested in the sister's character. Less monotone.
Old 08-26-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

yeah, this was a good episode.
Old 08-26-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This episode proved to me that Darlene is my favorite character on the show.
Old 08-26-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Everyone is going to freak out when it's revealed that Elliot is a figment of Darlene's imagination.
Old 08-29-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Everyone is going to freak out when it's revealed that Elliot is a figment of Darlene's imagination.
The hell you say.....
Old 08-29-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Just binge-watched the entire second season up to now. I will say that going through these comments, the level of negativity surprised me. Maybe it works better as a binge-watch, since I've been entertained. We'll see how I like it week-to-week (ended up binge watching most of season 1 too).
Old 08-30-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Binge watching generally helps hide flaws in shows as you don't have a week or so to dwell on mistakes they are doing. The negativity here isn't general internet whining...the show has some very legit narrative issues this year. I have no clue how they got the season 3 pick-up.
Old 08-30-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Binge watching generally helps hide flaws in shows as you don't have a week or so to dwell on mistakes they are doing. The negativity here isn't general internet whining...the show has some very legit narrative issues this year. I have no clue how they got the season 3 pick-up.
Not sure if anyone watches the Aftershow podcast? (It is also on USA OnDemand).

They had one of the writers on and he actually talked about many fans unhappiness with the season. He mentioned that fans did not like the 60+ minute episodes early in the season, as I have noticed the past few episodes have been shorter.

He then tried to defend the season equating it to Star Wars in 1977, and Empire Strikes Back. He said Season 1 ends in a bang just like Star Wars ended in 1977 blowing up the Death Star. Season 2 and Empire Strikes Back essentially go a different route then fans expected. I'll have to find the quote but that was the jist of it.
Old 08-30-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
He then tried to defend the season equating it to Star Wars in 1977, and Empire Strikes Back. He said Season 1 ends in a bang just like Star Wars ended in 1977 blowing up the Death Star. Season 2 and Empire Strikes Back essentially go a different route then fans expected. I'll have to find the quote but that was the jist of it.
The key difference is ESB was compelling and extremely well made; S2 of Mr. Robot is hacky and amateurish.
Old 08-30-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

There was no one who was disappointed in ESB upon it's release.

If he wants to take a lesson from ESB, it should be that it's the SW movie that Lucas had the least amount of control over and the most outside input, and it happened to be the best.
Old 08-30-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Binge watching generally helps hide flaws in shows as you don't have a week or so to dwell on mistakes they are doing. The negativity here isn't general internet whining...the show has some very legit narrative issues this year.
Well, whether the complaints are "legit" is solely a matter of opinion. I will say that the longer episode length and apparently slower pace weren't an issue for me while binge-watching. It may have been an issue if I had watched week-to-week though. Whether or not that counts as a "mistake" is up for debate.

Except most people really loved Empire Strikes Back, even during release. I think the only criticism most people had was with the cliffhanger ending, which was pretty unique for its time (movies were standalone, and weren't made with the idea of being a serial or franchise).

I do think the show had to explore Elliot and Mr. Robot's relationship, and have Elliot deal with the situation and his own mental state. Whether it had to go on for so long in the second season is another issue. I remember people complaining about the "slow" start to season 3 of Hannibal in a similar way, with that show taking its time to deal with the fallout of the season 2 finale before really progressing the story more.

On a specific plot point, I think Elliot was in jail for the hack of his psychiatrist's ex boyfriend. In the season 1 finale, the ex said some Eastern European country would have to collapse before he could get the IP records to convict Elliot, and then he went home and saw on the TV that said country had just collapsed due to the economic fallout of the 5/9 hack. I feel like a conviction for that hack could lead to such a short prison term.

Also, from my memory, the only two people from the outside to visit Elliot at his "Mom's" were Darlene, his sister, and Angela, his childhood friend. So I don't think either would become suspects of anything just for visiting him in jail.

The logistics of Elliot's interactions with Ray still need to be more fully sussed out. It seems likely Ray was a guard or maybe a counselor, but probably not an inmate. Did Ray have an office with a laptop in the prison? It does explain why Elliot specifically went to Ray when he needed access to a PC, since if Elliot had been on the outside he would've had far more choices for PC access.

I'm also trying to figure out if the past IT guy was a prisoner or not. We first seem him and Ray in the IT guy's home, with wife and kid cowering in the corner, so it's possible the IT guy was from outside the prison.
Old 08-30-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
There was no one who was disappointed in ESB upon it's release.
I don't want to derail this thread into a SW debate, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I remember in 1980 many of us were split on ESB. As someone said here that many did not like the cliffhanger ending, but others like me didn't like the dark tone and watching our characters get their asses kicked for 2 hours by the bad guys. I loved ROTJ more then ESB in the early 80's.

Now of course years later (around the early 90's is when many of us re-evaluated ESB), when we watched it in the context of Part 2 of 3 in the Original Trilogy, and understood the darker tone, we all loved it. But ESB was not this universally loved SW movie in 1980 (Hence why Lucas made ROTJ a more lighter tone). Around the Late 90's is when it started to really become known as the 'greatest SW movie'. But even then when the SE were released in 1997, here were the box office figures:

Star Wars: 136 million
ESB: 57 million
ROTJ: 45 million
Old 08-30-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to derail this thread into a SW debate, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I remember in 1980 many of us were split on ESB. As someone said here that many did not like the cliffhanger ending, but others like me didn't like the dark tone and watching our characters get their asses kicked for 2 hours by the bad guys. I loved ROTJ more then ESB in the early 80's.
That sounds a bit anecdotal. But it is true that it's hard to properly gauge what the true viewer reaction without coloring it with hindsight.

These articles give some insight into the critical reaction to the film when it was released:
http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryo...eception1.html
http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryo...eception2.html
http://www.starwars.com/news/critica...iginal-reviews
Old 08-30-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Well, I shouldn't have said "no one", but most weren't disappointed in it - certainly not as disappointed as they (we) were with Jedi, and I won't even mention the prequels.
Old 08-30-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Also, from my memory, the only two people from the outside to visit Elliot at his "Mom's" were Darlene, his sister, and Angela, his childhood friend. So I don't think either would become suspects of anything just for visiting him in jail.

The logistics of Elliot's interactions with Ray still need to be more fully sussed out. It seems likely Ray was a guard or maybe a counselor, but probably not an inmate. Did Ray have an office with a laptop in the prison? It does explain why Elliot specifically went to Ray when he needed access to a PC, since if Elliot had been on the outside he would've had far more choices for PC access.

I'm also trying to figure out if the past IT guy was a prisoner or not. We first seem him and Ray in the IT guy's home, with wife and kid cowering in the corner, so it's possible the IT guy was from outside the prison.
These are actually the solid reasons why it wasn't obvious that he was in prison; Angela met Elliot after her ex said he spoke to the FBI and was recording their conversation. The idea that she would just go to prison after this is what made the mother's house look real at the time; of course now it looks dumb knowing that was prison but that was needed to play up the twist.

Same with the IT guy and his family; the construct was seeing his home and family as the outside and blurring the lines of what the van represented and whether Elliot saw it as a van or not.

You can like or hate the twist but the commitment in keeping it from being obvious was real and sincere.
Old 09-01-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

I think I would like BD Wong's character more if it didn't seem like such a blatant ripoff of Job from Banshee.
Old 09-01-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was interesting.

Second half of the season has been great, as expected. A lot of open questions after this episode, but, IMHO, good open questions.

There's still a big risk that Esmail can paint himself into a corner, like have happened with other creators in the past, but hopefully the show can close in a high note this season.
Old 09-02-16, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good episode. I never have any idea what is going on in this show, but still a good episode.

Last edited by mcnabb; 09-02-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-02-16, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So if Stage 2 was Elliot's idea, it seems like there's a part of him that's still closed off to both Elliot and Mr. Robot. Is it possible there's a 3rd personality?
Old 09-07-16, 07:22 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Still really liking this show. Binge watching is where it's at with a show like this. I pretty much mini-binge all my shows these days, but I really like being able to binge on this show for some reason. I actually liked this season's "twist" better than last season, which was painfully obvious after the first or second episode, and I'm willing to bet the better twist is yet to come.
Old 09-08-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Intense...
Old 09-08-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Crazy how the second half of this season has been so good as compared to the shit first half.
Old 09-08-16, 04:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I have the last 3 eps recorded, but frankly no desire to see them...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.