TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Winona Ryder

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Winona Ryder

Originally Posted by The Infidel
From what I remember seeing at the beginning of the first episode, this takes place in 1983, but I've heard two songs now from later years, Hazy Shade of Winter (Bangles) from 1985 and Sunglasses at Night (Corey Hart) from 1984.
It takes place in November of 1983...that's why "All The Right Moves" is "still playing" at the theater (it was released in October of 1983).

Ironically, The Duffer Bros. (who are twins) weren't born until 1984. Which is amazing considering how "well" they capture the feel of what it was like being a kid in the 80s. (I was 13 in 1983, so I was roughly the same age as the young kids in this.)
Old 07-30-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Plus he needed to deal with families of the other missing people that the monster took.
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
missing person. Barbs and the diner owner are the only ones who died other than the varied G-men....
6 missing people. After the Chief takes apart his house looking for bugs, the two officers show up to tell him about two people who went missing on a hunting trip in Mirkwood. Also, in the finale Dr. Bennett tells Joyce that 6 people in total have gone missing that week.
Old 07-30-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Just finished ... Drew it out over 3 days or so and loved it.

Folks here have mentioned the opening credit sequence -- the best part is the "popcorn" giving it a 1980s film effect.

Didn't mind Winona Ryder, but I thought Matthew Modine was the weak link. I didn't get a clear sense of his exact role (was he the head of the agency or just working for them) or any real feeling of menace.

Steve's hair bugged the hell out of me the whole time.

I was expecting a cleaner end with future seasons being different stories (ala Fargo, American Horror Story, etc.) but I'm anxiously awaiting more! Would be very excited to see these kids back again.

As for the extra missing people, must have been Lucas and Dustin's families.
Old 07-30-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Where can I get this game?!
Old 07-31-16, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It takes place in November of 1983...that's why "All The Right Moves" is "still playing" at the theater (it was released in October of 1983).

Ironically, The Duffer Bros. (who are twins) weren't born until 1984. Which is amazing considering how "well" they capture the feel of what it was like being a kid in the 80s. (I was 13 in 1983, so I was roughly the same age as the young kids in this.)
It's in large part to how well 80s flicks captured the era. IMO at least. I was born in 83 and have a lot of really fond memories of the late 80s and early 90s. Likely because I was a kid, but regardless.
Old 07-31-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

I think you missed my point. The two songs I mentioned hadn't even been released when the movie takes place.
Old 07-31-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I just finished this today and I thought it was one of the best shows that I have seen in quite some time.
Old 07-31-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you missed my point. The two songs I mentioned hadn't even been released when the movie takes place.
I don't think the soundtrack is as beholden to the chronology as the rest of the show, excepting for "in universe" music, like stuff playing from car radios or boomboxes.

For example, the song at the end of episode 3 is a cover of "Heroes" by Peter Gabriel, which was released in 2010, and the finale has "When It’s Cold I’d Like to Die" by Moby, released in 1994:

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/othe...-song-listing/
Old 07-31-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Songs being played over opening/closing credits is one thing, but you can't have a show taking place in 1983 with someone driving down the road with their radio playing a song that didn't come out until 1987.
Old 07-31-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Songs being played over opening/closing credits is one thing, but you can't have a show taking place in 1983 with someone driving down the road with their radio playing a song that didn't come out until 1987.
Sure you can. It's not a historical reenactment. Who the fuck cares.
Old 08-01-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I have a correction to make. I thought I remembered Hazy Shade of Winter playing on someone's radio, but it played over the closing credits of episode 2, so I was wrong there.

Yes, I understand it's not a "historical reenactment". But you can't keep a certain time period in mind while watching a movie or show if something shows or plays that doesn't fit with the time period.
Old 08-01-16, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

As a counter argument: Inglorious Basterds.

Sometimes cool music wins out over being correct for the period.
Old 08-01-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Old 08-01-16, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Blood Ties takes place in 1974 yet the film opens with Ace Frehley's cover of New York Groove, which didn't come out until 1978. It's not just some opening intro music - the characters are spinning the vinyl record of it.

Old 08-01-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I looked it up, and Sunglasses at Night was released as a single on January 21, 1984:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses_at_Night

It plays from Steve's car radio as he goes to check on Nancy (and catches her in her bedroom with Jonathan).

The show is set starting on date November 6, 1983, so the song is only about 3 months early, which as far as anachronistic music goes, is pretty minor. It's the same sort of thing that may have happened with a movie released in 1984 that was ostensibly set in 1983.

And that's the only example of a song that plays "in universe" that's anachronistic.
Old 08-01-16, 08:41 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
So I looked it up, and Sunglasses at Night was released as a single on January 21, 1984:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses_at_Night

It plays from Steve's car radio as he goes to check on Nancy (and catches her in her bedroom with Jonathan).

The show is set starting on date November 6, 1983, so the song is only about 3 months early, which as far as anachronistic music goes, is pretty minor. It's the same sort of thing that may have happened with a movie released in 1984 that was ostensibly set in 1983.

And that's the only example of a song that plays "in universe" that's anachronistic.
Hypothetically, the song could have been been released as a promo single, being played on the radio but not as a store bought single. A stretch, but not unheard of (I'm sure in this case that it wasn't, just making a silly point).
Old 08-01-16, 08:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I have never spent a single second wondering if a song, car type, clothing style or anything else was appropriate for the time in an entertainment product, and I pray to the gods that I never do.
Old 08-01-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 08-01-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have never spent a single second wondering if a song, car type, clothing style or anything else was appropriate for the time in an entertainment product, and I pray to the gods that I never do.
Sometimes this stuff will jump out at you if you're into the bands, or cars, or whatever.
Old 08-01-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I did notice the Peter Gabriel cover of "Heroes" and knew it came out way later than when the show was set, but didn't care.

I think if there was something in the show that was blatantly anachronistic, like someone using an iPhone, than a lot of people would notice and care. However, for a show set over 3 decades ago, I think for most people, as long as the show sticks to stuff from "the eighties" it's fine, even if it's a year or two off on the exact date of clothing or tech.
Old 08-01-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sometimes this stuff will jump out at you if you're into the bands, or cars, or whatever.
It's a bit like being in a certain field like medicine, law, or tech when a film/show utilizes them; the more familiar and knowledgeable about a given field, the more likely you are to notice the inaccuracies.

Sometimes it's honest mistakes, but sometimes its poetic license.
Old 08-01-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

That's a rather dramatic response from someone with such strong ocd/collector tendencies.
Old 08-01-16, 11:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That's a rather dramatic response from someone with such strong ocd/collector tendencies.
I'm a teenage girl at heart.
Old 08-02-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the show is good, and anyone, any age, can like it.

Can someone that didn't live, remembers, the 80's love the show? I mean they won't get all the references, they won't the nostalgia, etc.
Old 08-02-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Can someone that didn't live, remembers, the 80's love the show? I mean they won't get all the references, they won't the nostalgia, etc.
Yep, the show is good, and anyone, any age, can like it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.