The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Old 08-02-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, I may be prematurely calling it now - but Naz may just be playing a Tyler Durden on us. The black dude that has taken to giving him advice - where did he come from all of a sudden? Has anyone noticed that no one in the prison has acknowledged him while he's been giving tips to Naz? As soon as I saw that I was like "shit, that dude is a figment of Naz's imagination - maybe a coping mechanism or maybe Naz did do it." I'm sure the knife attack and when the baby oil napalm was poured on him was also self-inflicted.

That's all I got right now. What say y'all?
He "boxed" the other prisoner. So no, I think it's a stretch... and if they did go that route, I'd be very disappointed.
Old 08-02-16, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
He "boxed" the other prisoner. So no, I think it's a stretch... and if they did go that route, I'd be very disappointed.
He's not talking about Omar (who boxed the cell phone dude), he's talking about the guy with the niece who was murdered. I don't think they'd go that route. That prisoner has a lot of knowledge about the prison groups, ways of the prison, etc. that Naz would not have unless he researched beforehand which there was no time to do so. So Naz could not tell himself about baby oil and the hot water dispenser. This guy sought him out, I would imagine, due to the similarities of the cases.
Old 08-02-16, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More ho hum mixed with a little PC Muslim talk--"Your honor he's in the most hated group in America." Good show to read the paper or iron clothes to. I will finish it, but I'd currently give it 79 points.
Old 08-02-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

It's a possibility that the guy with the murdered niece is a figment of his imagination - but it would be extremely lame if they did that... and like Fight Club, there would be things that didn't make sense in that scenario - ie. how Naz would know about the hot water/whatever concoction... who scolded him with it, etc.

And the excema. Please stop. I understand why it's being used - as a device for Stone to look at things from different angles, which doctor to trust, which remedy, etc... opening his mind for the same critical thinking in Naz's case... similar to the Mike Yanagita story line in the movie Fargo... but it's still way too much into the forefront of the show.
Old 08-02-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Just cuz Naz may not be street smart does not mean he's not smart. He would have already known how to make that baby oil napalm to begin with. He had also read that Call of the Wild book, so he's savvy on metaphors. I may have to rewatch the episodes again and see if I missed anything. I remember when season 2 of true detective was out - we did the same thing on the off chance that we missed something important. It was fun.

Personally, I hope it doesn't turn out to be the way I'm thinking - it's such a cliche nowadays especially with another show that's currently airing in its second season.
Old 08-02-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
It's a possibility that the guy with the murdered niece is a figment of his imagination - but it would be extremely lame if they did that... and like Fight Club, there would be things that didn't make sense in that scenario - ie. how Naz would know about the hot water/whatever concoction... who scolded him with it, etc.
Naz knew how to make it (if my theory is true) and he poured it on himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he also started the bed fire, as well.
Old 08-02-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Interesting theory and at this point, who knows. I like the scenes between Naz and Chalky - not sure if he's completely genuine or not, but will be interesting to see where that goes.

Glad to see Stone finally got a prescription for his feet. Still puzzled as to why that's been such a key element of the story thus far.
I didn't understand where Chalky came from. They burned his bed and then the other black guy that was offering him advice moved and then all of a sudden Naz meets Chalky in the commissary line and next thing you know he's bunking next to him.

Also I thought Stone has had other prescriptions for his feet? He keeps going doctor to doctor and they keep prescribing different things?
Old 08-02-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched episode 3 and 4 back to back. It improved over episode 2.

I like the show, good summer show, but I'm not 100% sure if it will deliver at the end. Sometimes I think it's more style over substance, stuff like that. Hopefully they don't use that Fight Club idea.

But the most important thing: we all already know that they cat will be really important to solve, absolve, the case. I hope that works well, and it's not something simple.
Old 08-02-16, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just cuz Naz may not be street smart does not mean he's not smart. He would have already known how to make that baby oil napalm to begin with.
Huh? Why? What in the show even remotely hints at that?
Old 08-02-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Huh? Why? What in the show even remotely hints at that?
It's my theory. I have to watch it from the beginning again and see what Naz's academic background is. If he's a science/chemistry major then that's a done deal. Again, my theory is that his new bunkmate is a figment of his imagination.

EDIT - I read more online and it looks like my theory is a popular one, as well.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-02-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Re-watching the scenes with Naz and his new friend - absolutely no one acknowledges his existence whatsoever except Naz. So he could be Naz's figment of imagination...

HOWEVER... if he is, then the writers cheated. The scene at the end there's a shot that gives us the point-of-view of the "imaginary friend" showing concern for being ratted on as he's looking into the room from a distance as Naz is getting bandaged and then leaving. If he's imaginary, then he only appears from Naz's perspective... and we wouldn't see from his POV. This should kill the theory - unless the writers are sloppy or deceptive.
Old 08-02-16, 06:53 PM

Re-watching the scenes with Naz and his new friend - absolutely no one acknowledges his existence whatsoever except Naz. So he could be Naz's figment of imagination...

HOWEVER... if he is, then the writers cheated. The scene at the end there's a shot that gives us the point-of-view of the "imaginary friend" showing concern for being ratted on as he's looking into the room from a distance as Naz is getting bandaged and then leaving. If he's imaginary, then he only appears from Naz's perspective... and we wouldn't see from his POV. This should kill the theory - unless the writers are sloppy or deceptive.
It's a ridiculous theory, like that Naz knows about napalm baby oil bombs, that if it turned out to be true would make this show worse than it already is.
Old 08-02-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm gonna do a binge of 1-4 and see if I discover anything new.

Hey, writers cheat and deceive all the time.
Old 08-03-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

And when the one guy was asked if he was alone when he saw Naz and the chick, he said yes. I'm guessing it's just a red herring and later they'll find out that he lied and then they'll learn the reason he lied was covering for his friend from something else.

I'm thinking the murderer will be someone from the chick's personal life and not someone we just saw in the first episode. It was clear she was troubled by something... maybe even afraid of something/someone. So I think the show will essentially center more around clearing Naz of the crime without too much of an investigation on the person who actually did it.
It's definitely someone close to her that killed her. When Naz woke up and found her dead there was no forced entry which suggests that person had a key to her place.
Old 08-03-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
It's definitely someone close to her that killed her. When Naz woke up and found her dead there was no forced entry which suggests that person had a key to her place.
If you can murder her so silently why not murder Naz too? The murderer could not have counted on Naz's stupidity in framing himself.
Old 08-03-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
If you can murder her so silently why not murder Naz too? The murderer could not have counted on Naz's stupidity in framing himself.
Nas may have been in the kitchen at the time and the killer never saw him.

....Or Nas did it.
Old 08-03-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like Nas.
Old 08-03-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
The argument at the cemetery pretty much confirmed it... her step-dad and some younger guy (maybe an ex?). I'm thinking the step-dad is key.
Old 08-03-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

And now i just realized when she let her cat out, the gate was left opened. No key needed.
Old 08-04-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not into the 'Tyler Durden' theory - pretty sure someone close to her is the murderer - still waiting for them to mention the stab wounds - the first episode shows MULTIPLE times that Nas is LEFT HANDED and I don't think that was accidental.
Old 08-04-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm hoping its all just a dream. Of the cat.

Honestly, I really liked the pilot, but everything since then seems like territory we've covered before on both TV and in films. Good acting, but familiar material.
Old 08-08-16, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, that was a great fucking episode. Glad they disproved my theory (or did they?) early on. It would have been cliched as hell if they had kept it.

Naz is showing his true colors - he a gangster. Looks like he also liked to use speed for his studies.

He's adjusting to prison quite nicely - he's not a chump.

Trevor's buddy is a questionable cat.
Old 08-08-16, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Finally, another episode that hooked me. That really was a great hour of TV.

I can not figure Naz out. He adjusted way to quickly to prison life.

He punches with his right hand. For an untrained fighter it's not likely that you would hit with your off hand.
Old 08-08-16, 07:38 AM

Really? All of a sudden Turturro is a tough guy who takes a pipe down a deserted area just to question a potential suspect? I just can' see how this show can be called great. It's OK and I'm sticking around for the solution but I'm not all gaga about the show.
Old 08-08-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Was this filmed in two (or more) sessions to give the actor time to bulk up?

Yeah, I'd like to know how much time has passed in the show. He certainly went from scared kid in prison to cocky built dude who can throw some good punches.

Safe to assume the shower scene kills the idea that the baby oil guy was in his head?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.