Reload this Page >

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Old 07-21-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

The other character that stood out - at least the way he was framed in scene was the black dude that was with the other black dude that made those crass comments to Naz about getting laid and leaving his bombs at home - at the foot of the brownstone. When Naz tries to step up to him "what did you say?" The guy that stayed back gave them a really cold stare and then later that morning only the guy that one Naz stepped to was seen walking back.

Granted, the way she was killed was brutal and fast - I wouldn't be surprised if someone put out a hit on her. No way was it a common thug. They would have killed Naz, too. I'm hoping they don't go the split-personality route and make Naz the eventual killer - Naz = Tyler Durden or some shit. I'm tired of that plot device.
Old 07-21-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The other character that stood out - at least the way he was framed in scene was the black dude that was with the other black dude that made those crass comments to Naz about getting laid and leaving his bombs at home - at the foot of the brownstone. When Naz tries to step up to him "what did you say?" The guy that stayed back gave them a really cold stare and then later that morning only the guy that one Naz stepped to was seen walking back.
And when the one guy was asked if he was alone when he saw Naz and the chick, he said yes. I'm guessing it's just a red herring and later they'll find out that he lied and then they'll learn the reason he lied was covering for his friend from something else.

I'm thinking the murderer will be someone from the chick's personal life and not someone we just saw in the first episode. It was clear she was troubled by something... maybe even afraid of something/someone. So I think the show will essentially center more around clearing Naz of the crime without too much of an investigation on the person who actually did it.
Old 07-21-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0160720hulu01/

FYI, The 2 seasons of Criminal Justice (UK show that The Night Of is based on) are now available on Hulu.
Old 07-21-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

"Shut the F up!"

If I was in a cell and saw a girl coughing and barfing I would have done the same thing lol. Just kidding.

Spoiler:
Maybe the mysterious guy in the cell near the end if Michael K. Williams?
Old 07-21-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0160720hulu01/

FYI, The 2 seasons of Criminal Justice (UK show that The Night Of is based on) are now available on Hulu.
Hmmmm, I may have to check this out in between Night Of.
Old 07-24-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boy that was an intense hour of tv. I some how doubt Jack Stone is fully done with the case
Old 07-24-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

What started out as a show that seemingly had so much potential has become and eczema fetish show. It's only 8 weeks so I'll finish it but...
Old 07-24-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
What started out as a show that seemingly had so much potential has become and eczema fetish show. It's only 8 weeks so I'll finish it but...
with how much they'v been focusing on it, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being important to the case
Old 07-24-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Great episode. Considering how singularly focused the first two were, I was surprised to see so many other characters and potential plot lines (the boxer, new lawyer, the other cab drivers, the family being under surveillance) come up this time. Really made the show fly past.
Old 07-24-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

Glenne Headly I've always liked her.
Old 07-24-16, 11:21 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
She put the cat outside because Nasir was alergic to cats
Originally Posted by atrium
There's a scene that directly shows her putting the cat outside.
Yea, I know, I was pointing out the fact that her cat (and the subtle focus on it plot wise) will probably end up playing a significant roll in leading us to the killer. Everyone so far that they have paraded in front of us could be the killer. I still think that person hasn't been revealed.
Old 07-25-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

I finally caught Ep 1 last night and dear Lord did it deliver in spades. What a tense 1.5 hours of TV... absolutely excellent. The mistakes Nas made seemed so obvious but the kid was terrified and when he fled the apartment, I could feel his angest, confusion, fear, etc. Excellent, excellent first episode.
Old 07-25-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I just caught episode 2 last night. I didn't find it slow as a few mentioned last week.

I thought it was a natural follow up to the 1st episode with Naz getting processed and arraigned and the confusion seen through his eyes and his parents.

It was a little rough seeing the prisoner barfing and getting his ass kicked just because he was making too much noise.

Seems like Stone is quite happy to have Naz as a client. Probably his most high profile case even though he can't really expect a big pay day. Naz's family appears to be a lower middle class family barely making it.

Andrea's Step Dad seemed kind of creepy and detached to me. Surprised he would give a shit since he's not blood. I wonder why there wasn't anyone else to contact (on Mom or Dad's side even though they were deceased)

I'm liking Bill Camp as Detective Box.
Old 07-25-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

After 3 episodes, I don't hate it... but they're taking their sweet-ass time moving things along.
It almost feels like they're doing this in real time... the season/series will have a runtime of months.

Enough with the feet already. You can throw in some character/personal stuff - but you shouldn't be focusing too much time on it since it doesn't add much.

They're obviously doing the rope-a-dope trying to make us think Stone is only in it for the money and the lawyer they're hiring really cares - but it's guaranteed that the opposite will be shown.

It's obvious at this point that the cat is the killer. It was pissed when the chick kicked it out of the house that night and wanted revenge.

Weird that the actor playing Nazir is only 10 and 12 years younger than the actors playing his mother and father respectively.
Old 07-26-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I don't mean this in a bad way at all but after last nights episode I wonder if this is more a law drama with it all being from Nasir's perspective instead of it being a cop "whodunit" drama. The mystery of this show seems to be less about who killed this woman and more about if and how Nasir will get off.
Originally Posted by dex14
If anyone wasn't already aware... this is a remake of a BBC show Criminal Justice - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimin...%29#Series_one

It does give a synopsis and overview of their first season on there, so spoiler warning...
So before this post above I wasn't aware this was a remake and I didn't click the link because of the spoiler warning, so I don't know much of anything with where this show is headed or how much it's like the original (which I'll check out at some point). But, after the third episode, I'm more convinced that this isn't a murder mystery at all and it's instead all about Nas and the system. That doesn't mean we won't find out who the real killer is, I just don't think that's going to be the main point of the show at all.

I find this show to be pretty fascinating. I loved the third episode, personally. They really built on the whole good vs. bad thing. Something HBO LOVES to do.

Box is more concerned with making sure Nas gets pinned for it even though I think deep down he knows that Nas couldn't have done it. This will be interesting going forward as I think as he peels the onion back he'll be more convinced that it wasn't Nas and we'll see how he handles it.

All signs pointed to Stone doing this for the money and pushing for a plea deal but we see that he isn't some asshole lawyer that doesn't care about his client. He does care and he does want the money but only because it seems that he needs the money. Trying to make money and do what's best for the client aren't mutually exclusive.

You have the new lawyer who is very experienced and doesn't need the money but I think we'll see that she's in it more for the self-promotion and doesn't care too much about Nas. I think we saw with her bringing on the Indian assistant that she knows how to put up a facade.

You have Freddy who is a hardened criminal but seems like a super duper guy that wants to help Nas stay safe. We'll see what he wants in return. Then you have the inmates, all bad people in their own regard, but still look down on a guy who rapes and murders a woman.

Through all that you have the only truly sympathetic figures of Nas and his family and they're the ones dealing with the most shit. Nas is worried for his life and his anal virginity. The family is being pulled in different directions by the lawyers and they're dealing with these cops and prison system that have been through this so many times that they've become immune to the fact that they're constantly dealing with people that are going through horrible things.

So yeah, I'm really into this show. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Last edited by Goat3001; 07-26-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-31-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For some reason i really enjoyed seeing the plea deal blow up in Crowe's face.

I also like the idea that Stone wants to essentially take this case so he's taken more seriously. Anyone else catch the brief cameo of Aidia Tuturro aka Janice from the Sopranos?
Old 08-01-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Same bitchy Janice, lol
Old 08-01-16, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Benny and Janice working together...who woulda thought.

Still seems pretty weird that virtually everyone hates Nas in prison. If it was because he was vulnerable, that's one thing. But it's due to his crime. So nobody else there has done anything comparable to what he's been charged with? That's hard to believe.
Old 08-01-16, 07:35 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Benny and Janice working together...who woulda thought.

Still seems pretty weird that virtually everyone hates Nas in prison. If it was because he was vulnerable, that's one thing. But it's due to his crime. So nobody else there has done anything comparable to what he's been charged with? That's hard to believe.
I've always heard child molesters and rapists are looked down upon in the prison food chain. And it is generally open season on them.
Old 08-01-16, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So how realistic was that plea deal scene? Does accepting a plea deal necessarily mean that the defendant has to admit guilt in the way they made Nas do?
Old 08-01-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I've always heard child molesters and rapists are looked down upon in the prison food chain. And it is generally open season on them.
I've heard that too- Now that I think about it, it's probably also coupled with the news coverage on his case.
Old 08-01-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
wouldn't surprise me if its also because he's muslim as well
Old 08-02-16, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I may be prematurely calling it now - but Naz may just be playing a Tyler Durden on us. The black dude that has taken to giving him advice - where did he come from all of a sudden? Has anyone noticed that no one in the prison has acknowledged him while he's been giving tips to Naz? As soon as I saw that I was like "shit, that dude is a figment of Naz's imagination - maybe a coping mechanism or maybe Naz did do it." I'm sure the knife attack and when the baby oil napalm was poured on him was also self-inflicted.

That's all I got right now. What say y'all?
Old 08-02-16, 05:47 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

No.
Old 08-02-16, 06:50 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting theory and at this point, who knows. I like the scenes between Naz and Chalky - not sure if he's completely genuine or not, but will be interesting to see where that goes.

Glad to see Stone finally got a prescription for his feet. Still puzzled as to why that's been such a key element of the story thus far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.