Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO limited - 8 episodes series)

Originally Posted by dino88
No, my theory involves the
Spoiler:
cat. I'm not sure how it will all play out in court (leaving the door unlocked for the real killer to enter may be part of it), but I think her cat that she put outside right before the murder will end up being what will acquit him (or a major part of it). I was thinking this while it happened and then the last scene of the episode solidified it for me. Right after the father went outside and saw that his taxi was missing, a cat ran across the street...and credits.

I think the most obvious killer is the guy he confronted in front of the apartment that stared them down as they went inside (not the one that went to police station, but his friend). But that could just be a red herring.

I was thinking the hearse driver would just end up being a witness at the trial.
That's an excellent theory!
Old 07-09-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Watched the pilot last night (actually over two nights as it was a tough watch, in the best possible way). I'm so in on this. Very exciting to see a new show hit the ground running like that. I have a feeling that this show will become a True Detective S1 level sensation this Summer.
Old 07-10-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Officially premieres tonight for those who didn't watch the preview on demand:

What starts as a perfect night for Pakistani-American student Nasir "Naz" Khan (Riz Ahmed) becomes a nightmare when he's arrested for murder.

Created by Steven Zaillian and Richard Price; teleplay by Richard Price; directed by Steven Zaillian.

8 episodes.

It's gotten some good reviews. I was lukewarm on this because I'm not really a Turturro fan, but now I'm more inclined to see it.
Old 07-10-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

It's gotten some good reviews. I was lukewarm on this because I'm not really a Turturro fan, but now I'm more inclined to see it.
Definitely give the pilot a shot. If for no other reason, Tuturro barely appears in it.
Old 07-11-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I really enjoyed this. I like Turturro, but as Decker mentioned, he was hardly in this episode.

Really great tension, throughout.

I'm really wishing it was a Netflix series, as I'm itching to see the next episode, immediately!
Old 07-11-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I understand he's just a kid and all, but I feel like they went a little overboard on some of the dumb stuff he did.

Agree about the last shot, that was clearly put there as a call-back to what she did earlier in the show.
Old 07-11-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I understand he's just a kid and all, but I feel like they went a little overboard on some of the dumb stuff he did.
You mean like the fact that he has a cell phone with him but can't figure out how to get to the party? No data plan to use Google Maps?
Old 07-11-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You mean like the fact that he has a cell phone with him but can't figure out how to get to the party? No data plan to use Google Maps?
What was the point of him calling home and hanging up just to hang up again when 'home' called him back??
Old 07-11-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

^I'll just say he was nervous and scared. He seems like a smart kid who ended up in a shitty situation and doesn't know how to act. He's in shock.

I watched the pilot and I'm in for the remainder of the series. Turturro was good in his 10 minute appearance at the end.

Interested to see how it all plays out, hopefully it won't disappoint.
Old 07-12-16, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Interested to see how it all plays out, hopefully it won't disappoint.
That's my biggest concern right now...is the series going to unravel the mystery of what happened, or is it simply going to focus on Nasir being railroaded for a crime he didn't commit? Honestly, the TV viewer in me is more interested in the former...but I sense most of the series is going to be about the latter.
Old 07-12-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was great. This could be everything The Killing wasn't.

They did well in laying ground work for who could be the killer, though with so many hours left I wonder if they were all red herrings. We'll see. I also hope they don't completely throw out the idea the he actually did it. I'd like to leave that part of it hanging up there for awhile.

The part where he freaked out and tried to cover everything up was interesting. It's like he saw a bunch of TV show/movies about how a killer leaves a crime scene without evidence and then screwed every bit of it up. For all the kids watching out there: If you find yourself in the same predicament... just call the fucking cops. Your story is a lot more believable if you report the crime yourself.
Old 07-12-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Worse than that, for me at least, was the he chose to take his dads car into the city from Queens. Just take the damn subway. You're at the party in an hour and no worries about the car.

Nasir wasn't very smart.
Old 07-12-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^Yeah, but that would've put a crimp in his plans to pick up an attractive young fare, get wasted with her, shag her, and then murder her.
Old 07-13-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Really enjoyed the first ep!

What was up with the girl? I thought maybe she seemed suicidal--the way she didn't seem to care too much where she was going when she got in the cab--just "the beach."

I especially liked the scene in the station when the detective was talking to the desk sergeant and the witness chimed in "I didn't say he hailed a cab. He got into his own cab." The female officer was hearing this while she searched Naz and starts to get suspicious and then... big bloody knife.

Turturro was good, and so was the guy playing Naz. He (Naz) came across as very innocent and sympathetic and naive. It will be interesting to see how Naz handles the pressure coming down on him.
Old 07-13-16, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I enjoyed this.

I really liked the slow pacing and methodical set up as he's leaving a witness trail. They're showing Naz through different security cameras, and witnesses, etc.

The kid was pretty dumb. I understand the idea of panicking, but talk about making the wrong move every single step of the way.

I hope this doesn't turn into "The Killing" - where every episode we get overwhelming evidence to make us believe that it's a particular person who did it - only to find out it wasn't. It's obvious and just a waste of time.

Trevor is "Bodie" from The Wire. He seems to be playing the same type of character.
Old 07-13-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So I guess I'm the only one wondering why he called home & hung up & didn't answer the call when his family called him back. That seemed extremely strange to me.

What also seemed strange was playing the game with the knife. He literally stabbed her through the hand & they start hooking up immediately after with blood pouring out of her. She had her bloody hand all over his head, but he had no blood on him at all?
Old 07-13-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
So I guess I'm the only one wondering why he called home & hung up & didn't answer the call when his family called him back. That seemed extremely strange to me.
I'm guessing it's because at that time when he got the call, he was eyeing the door to escape and didn't have time to deal with a phone conversation that would attract attention to him.

What also seemed strange was playing the game with the knife. He literally stabbed her through the hand & they start hooking up immediately after with blood pouring out of her. She had her bloody hand all over his head, but he had no blood on him at all?
The knife didn't go through her hand, it just dug into the top - so no blood was on her palm which is what had contact with Naz's neck/head.

As someone else mentioned, it didn't make sense that Naz didn't check Google or Apple maps on his phone to get directions to the party. It's like the writers really needed witnesses to Naz's whereabouts that evening so they had to ignore something he would normally/logically do.
Old 07-13-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,064 Posts

I'm wondering if I'm the next episode they'll find traces of her blood all over him from her stab wound. Otherwise that whole knife game scene doesn't make much sense.

I thought Turturro was great in the few minutes he was in it but thought the way his character was introduced was a little weak. Just some ambulance chaser who magically appears to help this kid?

Otherwise a fantastic (and seemingly mostly realistic) crime drama! I'll definitely continue watching and hoping it ends as good as it started.
Old 07-14-16, 12:55 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Watched it today. Loved it. Thought the production value was good. And Nas' character is believable as a super smart yet not street smart college student who panics in all the wrong ways.

I don't buy the cat theory (somehow exonerating Naz) the cat could have gotten out when the killer came in, there's no proof she puts the cat outside. Plus, most cats I know flee the scene (by hiding under a bed, etc) when a person typically not known to them comes around. It was blatantly obvious that the cat crossing the street at the end was a call back to her cat tho. The only way I see the cat being pivotal is that there are no cat paw prints tracked through her blood/crime scene.
Old 07-14-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm wondering if I'm the next episode they'll find traces of her blood all over him from her stab wound. Otherwise that whole knife game scene doesn't make much sense.
That certainly may be the case but even without that, I think the knife game scene makes sense because it puts his fingerprints on the knife along with her blood. That led to his dumb decision to take the knife and run. Put that all together and now that knife if being looked at as the murder weapon, though it probably isn't.
Old 07-14-16, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001
That certainly may be the case but even without that, I think the knife game scene makes sense because it puts his fingerprints on the knife along with her blood. That led to his dumb decision to take the knife and run. Put that all together and now that knife if being looked at as the murder weapon, though it probably isn't.
Good point, I forgot about that.
Old 07-14-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad we won't be seeing any more of the girl. She gave me the Laura Palmer vibe.

The one thing that bothered me is the traffic stop and subsequent holding of the kid over a forbidden left turn in the middle of the night. They kept babbling about "Reckless Driving". They really should have had him do something more outlandish than an errant left turn.

What was the point of him calling home and hanging up just to hang up again when 'home' called him back??
I think when they called him, he was contemplating making a run for it.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Plus, she put her hand palm up so it will appear as a defensive wound.

To an earlier point, I'm pretty sure Naz had blood on his back when they were taking photos of him.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-14-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Yeah, he had blood and scratches on his back.
Old 07-14-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
The one thing that bothered me is the traffic stop and subsequent holding of the kid over a forbidden left turn in the middle of the night. They kept babbling about "Reckless Driving". They really should have had him do something more outlandish than an errant left turn.
The female cop mentioned a couple times to her partner that she suspected he was high on something (which he kind of was). I'm not sure how morally she could have let him go on his way if he was going to drive high.

At the police station she still wanted to test him for drugs but the sergeant at the desk gave her and her partner shit because they waited too long and nobody told the cop who drove him to the station that he needed to be tested.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-14-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd give it an 80 out of 100 points. Very acceptable, lots of padding, the lawyer's taking of the case runs pretty much as we've seen in movies for 70 years. Also sloppy at times, not to nitpick but the the patrol car's speedometer should really read more than 0 mph when in motion.

I will continue watching, but this is nothing to gush over as the LA Times did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.