Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

It felt a little against GoT ... usually people die for stupidity. It was probably an easier death than Rickon could have ever hoped for ....
Old 06-19-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Whew... I'm still recovering from watching that. That was a brutal, brutal gore filled battle. Glad to see Ramsey go out like that. RIP Wun Wun and Rickon. I wonder if they will bring back the director of this episode for the big White Walker Battle.

I had thought that this was going to be one long episode containing the Battle for Winterfell, but was surprised to see some Daenerys scenes. The Dragon scenes were awesome. I don't see how the White Walkers stand a chance against those dragons unless they bring ice dragons.
Old 06-19-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Finally got HBONow fixed. I hope episode 10 is good, because that would make this season a perfect 10/10 IMO. Very seldom does that happen. One of the most intense hours of television ever.

For anyone who felt this seemed a bit too Hollywood, well, to each their own. It's about time we got some catharsis.

P.S. I too loved the shot of Davos standing with the sunrise. This was one of their more cinematic episodes.
Old 06-19-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fantastic episode. Sansa could have saved a lot of men if she told them she had reinforcements coming.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yeah, Jon Snow is a shitty strategist. He deserved to die, again.
Hes just like his father Ned. Great warrior, terrible head for anything strategic.
Old 06-19-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

Good ending.. Especially with what Sansa said to Ramsey at the end.
Old 06-19-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yeah, Jon Snow is a shitty strategist. He deserved to die, again.
Those arrows missing him and his utter luck during the battle .... a higher power is definitely keeping him in the game.
Old 06-19-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Those arrows missing him and his utter luck during the battle .... a higher power is definitely keeping him in the game.
The Lord of Light brought him back for a reason.

Also, where the hell was Ghost? Did they leave him at the Wall?

Last edited by lwhy?; 06-19-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
Another solid episode. Looked and sounded great, was paced well throughout. Not a fan of that jerky shutter speed that filmmakers like Ridley Scott tend to use heavily during battle scenes but thankfully Sapochnik used it only sparingly, switching the filming style at an effective moment. I'm sure there will be plenty arguments on the reasoning behind
Spoiler:
Sansa keeping the Vale forces a secret from Jon until the end
and complaints of some predictable plotting. But again, good episode overall. Looking forward to next week.
I'm assuming that Sansa didn't know for sure that the Vale forces would be coming until they did.
Old 06-19-16, 10:48 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I really thought the dogs would get set loose on Rickon so Jon snd Sansa could see him get ripped apart.
Old 06-19-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Finally.

And RIP, Wun-Wun.

Last edited by B.A.; 06-19-16 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Amazing episode

Ghost should of gotten to take Ramsey out
Old 06-19-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It was pretty dumb of Ramsey to kill Wum-Wum with that arrow when Jon was clearly not paying attention.
Old 06-19-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Rickon needed to zig-zag! Did he not learn that at school?!?
Old 06-19-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Ned taught him that the honorable way was to run in a straight line.

Poor Art Parkinson didn't even get any lines this year.
Old 06-19-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

It's Wun Wun people, not Wum Wum.

The action was pretty good, but I had some complaints.

Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale coming in at the last second to save the day was the most predictable trope ever. It's such lazy writing. I would have liked it better had Littlefinger arrived the night before, walking into the council tent and strategizing with Jon and Davos. But him coming in moments before they were going to get massacred...ugh. Seen that so many times in so many movies and tv shows, that it's not even dramatic or exciting anymore.

Also, Rickon...you NEVER run in a straight fucking line when being shot at, by anything. ZIG ZAG MOTHERFUCKER! Lazy writing, they had to kill him off and that was the easiest way.

Jon surviving everything...the charging cavalry, the arrows, etc...was pretty eye roll inducing.

Some one mentioned the piles of bodies...that was pretty absurd, how high the piles were. It was like an invisible force was shoveling all the bodies on top of one another, because that happening naturally is laughable.

I did like the action itself though. I liked Yara and Dany agreeing to an alliance. It was nice to see Sansa get her revenge on Ramsay. Dany and her dragons torching the ships was badass.

Melisandre is always a plus.

Mm, yea, that's all I got. Fun action, but some frustrating writing.
Old 06-19-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
So who dies in this battle? Any guesses?

I think Rickon and Wun Wun are at the top of the list. Ramsey will probably off Rickon before the battle even begins. Wun Wun is super huge and it stands to guess that the archers will go after him from the outset, even though it will take a butt load of arrows to get him to the ground.

Tormund is next in line, he doesn't seem to have a main arch, but I wouldn't him sticking around, especially if...and I hate even typing this, the Davos/Melasandre/Shireen situation comes to a head. I just have a sinking feeling Davos might not make it out of this alive, but I hope i'm wrong.

Ramsey I think dies, but I'm hoping Sansa or Ghost does him in. That or they feed him to his own dogs. However, this is GoT so he'll probably slip on some ice and mash his head on a rock or get stabbed by some random wildling.
Wow this was pretty damn accurate.
Old 06-19-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

A fucking great hour of TV. Love that the storylines are finally starting to combine in a big way. Shows there is an endgame, which I'm not 100% convinced George R.R. Martin actually has figured out.

Lots of praise already but I really loved the chaotic nature of the battle, with the horses crashing into people left and right and just the general mayhem. But it was always easy to follow. It's amazing to me that a TV show can turn out a scene like that (and the dragon attack too) but a movie that's only a little bit longer can look like terrible by comparison.
Old 06-19-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ya nice predictions

Definitely some obsurd shit going on in there but it all looked so good i didn't care

Horse collisions were phenomenal
Old 06-19-16, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wow this was pretty damn accurate.
Yeah, trust me, I didn't know any of this was going down. I got a little lucky. I hate knowing spoilers beforehand. This should get nominated for best directing. The visuals were unreal and a really great job by all involved. It definitely looks like the shireen thing is going to come to a head. Davos gave melisandre a look like he knows it was her.
Old 06-20-16, 12:27 AM

Great episode. I had no idea we were going to get any dragons, but to get 3 in action BEFORE the Battle of the Bastards just seemed too good to be true. I really enjoyed it, and am about to fire it up again for seconds. Episodes like this make me feel sorry for those who don't watch the show.

RIP Ramsay Bolton, you crazy bastard. I am not sure if any villain will ever top you, but I said the same about Joffrey so...

On another note, if Bran doesn't get to the Tower of Joy next week I am going to cut a bitch.
Old 06-20-16, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Rickon needed to zig-zag! Did he not learn that at school?!?
I was thinking that the whole time. Stop running in a straight line!

I enjoyed the episode, hated some of the battle though - both the way it was filmed and the way things unfolded, as well as how predictable it was. Happy to finally see Ramsay gone, with a satisfying ending too.
Old 06-20-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I was screaming "Serpentine, Rickon, serpentine," like Peter Falk in The In-Laws.

Great episode. Felt very epic, though I kept asking myself when the Knights of the Vale were going to show up rather than if.
Old 06-20-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
Great episode. I had no idea we were going to get any dragons, but to get 3 in action BEFORE the Battle of the Bastards just seemed too good to be true. I really enjoyed it, and am about to fire it up again for seconds. Episodes like this make me feel sorry for those who don't watch the show.

RIP Ramsay Bolton, you crazy bastard. I am not sure if any villain will ever top you, but I said the same about Joffrey so...

On another note, if Bran doesn't get to the Tower of Joy next week I am going to cut a bitch.
Yeah, I didn't expect Dany's battle in this episode, I assumed she took care of it last episode. A very nice appetizer before the main course. I thought for sure Yara was going to show up with her boats to help Dany out. Didn't expect the Greyjoys to show up in the castle just like that. I like the line that all their fathers were assholes.

Oh and Grey Worm killing the Masters was awesome.
Old 06-20-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Fantastic episode - can't add much that hasn't been said already about the battle, but thought it was overall very thrilling. If they blew the majority of the season's budget on those dragon effects, I'm OK with it, because if you fail to sell that moment, you have a SyFy movie.Very impressive!
Old 06-20-16, 01:16 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale coming in at the last second to save the day was the most predictable trope ever. It's such lazy writing. I would have liked it better had Littlefinger arrived the night before, walking into the council tent and strategizing with Jon and Davos. But him coming in moments before they were going to get massacred...ugh. Seen that so many times in so many movies and tv shows, that it's not even dramatic or exciting anymore.
It's even more lazy when you consider that's how Jon was saved at the Wall (Stannis riding in).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.