Reload this Page >

Seinfeld on Netflix?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Seinfeld on Netflix?

Old 08-30-22, 09:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Seinfeld on Netflix?

So I’ve seen the syndicated broadcasts of Seinfeld at least 50+ times and know it like the back of my hand.

Now, I’m streaming for first time on Netflix and have been noticing very short scenes at the beginning or end that I’ve never see on regular TV ever before.

So, my question is: are these like extended versions? Is that like the physical media’s episodes? Some do seem out of place; like in The Yada Yada episode it begins with Jerry and George peeing very close to each other at stalls. Not every episode, but some. They are neat little treats, but what are they exactly?
Old 08-30-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Seinfeld on Netflix?

The Seinfeld episodes that aired on TV are trimmed to fit time slots.

The DVD and streaming versions of the show have short extra shots that were always intended to be there but were excised for TV.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So I’ve seen the syndicated broadcasts of Seinfeld at least 50+ times and know it like the back of my hand.

Now, I’m streaming for first time on Netflix and have been noticing very short scenes at the beginning or end that I’ve never see on regular TV ever before.

So, my question is: are these like extended versions? Is that like the physical media’s episodes? Some do seem out of place; like in The Yada Yada episode it begins with Jerry and George peeing very close to each other at stalls. Not every episode, but some. They are neat little treats, but what are they exactly?
Original NBC airings. The ones we've probably seen in repeats have been trimmed/sped up for more commercials.
Old 08-30-22, 09:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

It’s great really. It keeps it fresh seeing these little extra tidbits I’ve never seen before. Is that true of all series’ that stream, longer than original broadcast?
Old 08-30-22, 09:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It’s great really. It keeps it fresh seeing these little extra tidbits I’ve never seen before. Is that true of all series’ that stream, longer than original broadcast?
Older shows, probably. I imagine Friends, The Office etc, have all been trimmed for syndication.

Nowadays, they have really short run times. Most of the CBS shows are only 18-19 minutes, down from 21-22 from a few years ago, Young Sheldon sometimes is 18:xx.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (08-31-22)
Old 08-30-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

It's likely every sitcom you've ever watched in syndicated reruns has had something cut out to create extra ad time. It was fairly common for sitcoms to have a brief tag scene after the last ad break and before the credits. This is what was usually removed because it was easy and did not affect the main story which always wrapped up before the ad break.
Old 08-30-22, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's likely every sitcom you've ever watched in syndicated reruns has had something cut out to create extra ad time. It was fairly common for sitcoms to have a brief tag scene after the last ad break and before the credits. This is what was usually removed because it was easy and did not affect the main story which always wrapped up before the ad break.
I once went to a taping of an episode of Cheers (S7E22 - The Visiting Letcher).. There was an entire Cliff and Carla subplot, a B or C storyline that got completely excised except for one joke. There was some funny stuff in there too. I guess they must do that for every episode, but it really surprised me that they could totally excise a storyline before it even aired for the first time.

BTW This episode was supposed to be the return of John Cleese's character from a few seasons earlier, but he had to cancel and it was recast unfortunately.