Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- based on the film -- from Southland creators

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- based on the film -- from Southland creators

Old 08-18-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) - Season 1 Thread - from Southland creators - based on the f

Saw the finale last week. Thought it was a very solid season overall.

OldBoy, You're missing out!!

I liked how they left things sort of ambiguous with J. He back stabbed the Police and got his teacher/lover arrested, but I have to wonder if he's actually playing both sides.

It sort of worked as a self contained season in a way. No big cliffhanger and most of the plot threads were resolved aside from the Cody's still being free.

However, I don't like Nikki dating/sleeping with Craig. She's what 16 and he's in his mid to late 20's. That just feels wrong.

Smurf killing the man from her past was a long time coming.

It's going to be awhile, but I'll be looking forward to season 2 next summer.
Old 08-18-16, 08:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) - Season 1 Thread - from Southland creators - based on the f

I bought the first ep. on Vudu. Will give it a go this weekend perhaps...
Old 08-21-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

For only ten episodes, this was a very good season. Compelling characters and taut crime-fueled drama, you can't ask for much more than what we got in Animal Kingdom's first season. This is smooth, tense storytelling.

The finale wrapped things up a little too easily for the family but I'm sure we haven't seen all the fall-out yet from the attempted bust.

What did Pope mean when he said to Smurf that he was her only real son? I wonder if Smurf kidnapped the others as babies. It doesn't really make sense but this is a different kind of show than normal.
Old 08-21-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

What did Pope mean when he said to Smurf that he was her only real son? I wonder if Smurf kidnapped the others as babies. It doesn't really make sense but this is a different kind of show than normal.
Not sure about Deran and Craig, but she didn't kidnap Baz. I think she took him in to help escape his abusive. As you saw in a few episodes, Baz visited his father in that trailer. He appears to be a recovering alcoholic.
Old 12-28-16, 07:54 PM

So I'm binging the first few eps. Really good. Wasn't a fan of them mirroring the movie so much in first ep, but considering 10 eps. looking forward to seeing where it goes. What's up with those title credits? Seems to fast and jumpy for a slow burn type show.

And holy fuck ep. 2 and that brief sex scene. I dvrd this from TNT's marathon and this ep was shown at 2pm. Are you kidding?
Old 12-28-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not sure about Deran and Craig, but she didn't kidnap Baz. I think she took him in to help escape his abusive. As you saw in a few episodes, Baz visited his father in that trailer. He appears to be a recovering alcoholic.
Baz is like Tom Hagen from The Godfather. The other three are her sons from other relationships I think. This show is great. I honestly thought Smurf was Cameron Diaz and think wow, she deserves an Emmy nomination.
Old 12-28-16, 08:43 PM

And I didn't even know John Wells did this. Love WW and er...
Old 04-28-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm on episode 4 of this. Yeah, I am getting a Point Break vibe, in a good way of course, and I think Ellen Barkin is pretty sex for a 63 year old. She's obviously had work done, but you can tell she's top dog.

I was already a fan of the movie, so going into this, I was a bit hesitant. I think "J" is still the weakest character. He has this stilted way of doing his thing that irks me -- he does everything really slow. Pope is the one that you have to look out for. He's a fucking psycho.

I will probably binge this tonight and into tomorrow.
Old 04-29-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished it. It was great. Outside of J's detachment everything was cool. Wow, j's teacher was a nice little piece of ass. Where were those teachers at when I was in school?

Anyways, I humbly await season 2.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-30-17 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-29-17, 10:20 PM

I think I bought the series on Vudu but alas have yet to get to...
Old 04-30-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think I bought the series on Vudu but alas have yet to get to...
See Post #30
Originally Posted by OldBoy
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12977473-post30.html
I bought the movie it was based on of the same name from VUDU but haven't gotten to it yet. Want to watch it before season 2 starts.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 04-30-17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
See Post #30

I bought the movie it was based on of the same name from VUDU buy haven't gotten to it yet. Want to watch it before season 2 starts.
yeah, only saw 3 eps i believe before things got in the way. i bought on Vudu when it was a good price, probably start from scratch one day, hopefully before the 30th...
Old 04-30-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

You Don't get TNT?
Old 04-30-17, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
You Don't get TNT?
i do, but it was filling up my DVR and deleted the season. i'm anal about DVR and this cuts the commercials and stuff and i just love watching from the Vudu site...
Old 05-01-17, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

The Blu-ray is a nicely done set, though it isn't heavy with special features beyond fairly standard EPK material. The show looked infinitely better on BD than HD broadcast for some reason.

http://doblu.com/2017/04/24/animal-k...lu-ray-review/

The second season begins in the next month.
Old 05-01-17, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I watched it on VUDU, too.
Old 05-24-17, 02:24 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) - Series Thread - from Southland creators - based on the fil

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j-XD5aBO-RM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-30-17, 07:07 AM

Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- from Southland creators -- based on the

The Codys are back, and the ties that bind them are about to be stretched to the limit when TNT's hit Animal Kingdom returns for its second season. One of cable's Top 5 new dramas this past summer, the series about a Southern California crime family stars Emmy(R) and Tony(R) winner Ellen Barkin as the matriarch of the Cody clan, Scott Speedman as her second in command and Shawn Hatosy as her volatile, mentally unstable eldest son. Also starring are Ben Robson, Jake Weary, Finn Cole, Molly Gordon and Carolina Guerra. The second season of Animal Kingdom, which has been expanded to 13 episodes, is slated to launch Tuesday, May 30, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT) on TNT. In season one of Animal Kingdom, 17-year-old Joshua "J" Cody (Cole) moved in with his freewheeling relatives in their Southern California beach town after his mother overdoses on heroin. He finds himself in the care of his estranged grandmother, Janine "Smurf" Cody (Barkin), a woman who rules her sons with a firm but, at times, emotionally incestuous hand. Her second in command is Barry "Baz" Blackwell (Speedman), whose power and position in the family is threatened by the return of Pope (Hatosy), Smurf's eldest son just released from prison. Smurf's tough, impulsive middle son, Craig (Robson), has a drug problem beginning to cloud his judgment and endanger the rest of the family, and Deran (Weary), the troubled and suspicious "baby" of the family struggles with accepting his sexual identity. Hovering on the edge of this less-than-idyllic household are J's girlfriend, Nicky Belmont (Gordon) and Baz's daughter, Lena. It isn't long after J's arrival that he finds his place within the dangerous family, a sense of belonging that he earns at the conclusion of season one. As the second season opens, the Cody clan is back to their old ways and in the midst of a fun, high-adrenaline heist. But when things don't go as planned, the family dynamics become more fractured than ever as some members advocate for independence from Smurf. Adding fuel to the fire is an external threat from Smurf's past that has come back to haunt her.
13 episode Second Season.
Old 06-22-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- from Southland creators -- based on the

I'm surprised this show is barely discussed here. It is now one of the very few shows I look forward to watching every week. Does anyone at all watch this?
I have some thoughts on it but it'd be pointless to talk about if no one has been watching.
Old 06-22-17, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been enjoying it very much.

So far this season has been a bit slower than I would have liked it to be. Hopefully it picks up the second half.
Old 06-22-17, 06:45 AM

The first season was good. Haven't cared much for season two so far.
Old 06-22-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The first season was good. Haven't cared much for season two so far.
I'm okay with season, but I'm assuming we're building towards something that will bring the family back together.
Old 07-27-17, 11:17 AM

Renewed: http://tvline.com/2017/07/27/animal-...-season-3-tnt/
Old 08-13-17, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This season has been great so far, too bad I don't know anyone who watches it & it's barely discussed here. I think if it was on AMC it would probably be much more popular.
Seems like all the guys abruptly disowned Smurf as it kind of came out of nowhere. I don't remember anything leading up to it from last season. Was there any other reason for them leaving her other than when she screwed up the day of the job in the beginning of the season?
There are a couple of other questions I have from episodes this season. When the guys were planning the church job & Baz & Jay were at the church service, Baz threw an envelope with a ton of cash in the donation basket. I know he had planted a tracker in it, but what was the point of giving so much cash?
Another thing I didn't quite understand was in one of the last episodes when Baz took Jay to rob Smurf's storage unit. Baz secretly went back by himself after robbing it with Jay. What was the point of that?
Old 08-13-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
This season has been great so far, too bad I don't know anyone who watches it & it's barely discussed here. I think if it was on AMC it would probably be much more popular.
Seems like all the guys abruptly disowned Smurf as it kind of came out of nowhere. I don't remember anything leading up to it from last season. Was there any other reason for them leaving her other than when she screwed up the day of the job in the beginning of the season?
I think the resentment had been building for a long time after not getting a bigger cut of the jobs when they were the ones doing all the work. That was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to mention all the other fucked up things she probably put them through when they were kids that we don't fully know about yet, which probably made the decision that much easier.

There are a couple of other questions I have from episodes this season. When the guys were planning the church job & Baz & Jay were at the church service, Baz threw an envelope with a ton of cash in the donation basket. I know he had planted a tracker in it, but what was the point of giving so much cash?
Not too sure about that. It didn't really matter though, since they would soon be getting that money back. Maybe to hide the tracker better ???

Another thing I didn't quite understand was in one of the last episodes when Baz took Jay to rob Smurf's storage unit. Baz secretly went back by himself after robbing it with Jay. What was the point of that?
Baz didn't want Jay to know he was robbing Smurf. There was no way for Jay to tell that anything in there belonged to Smurf until the safes were opened. He didn't know that Smurf had taken Jay to that storage unit before.

Last edited by dino88; 08-13-17 at 10:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.