Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Brother 18 (CBS) -- Premieres 6/22/2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Big Brother 18 (CBS) -- Premieres 6/22/2016

Not much to say yet, but I'm glad James is back. I'm still learning names, but bearded dude needs to gtfo asap.
Old 06-27-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Bearded guy definitely needs to go. Glad to see him on the block. Have to give major props to both Nicole and Da'vonne for the way they're playing the newbies. I figured Da'vonne would be an immediate disaster, but she's impressing me this round.
Old 06-28-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blind eviction nomination is an interesting twist.

Really can undercut the HOH power (not sure if that is good or bad); in addition to making it harder to target or even backdoor someone, it also means two more people in the veto comp which makes that tougher to control for the HOH

It would seem to make any big alliance early on more powerful - as it gives that alliance a decent chance to get one of their targets up on the block even if they don't control HOH.
Old 06-28-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's interesting about the twists they've introduced in the past couple years is that they definitely play against any sort of strategic plans the players can make. I'm sure their goal is to keep the players off balance, on their toes, but when they meddle too much, it makes the game a lot more of a craps shoot.

It really is like Vegas. You can study and play your cards best you can, but in the end, 51% of your fate is up to the luck of the draw.
Old 06-28-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
What's interesting about the twists they've introduced in the past couple years is that they definitely play against any sort of strategic plans the players can make. I'm sure their goal is to keep the players off balance, on their toes, but when they meddle too much, it makes the game a lot more of a craps shoot.

It really is like Vegas. You can study and play your cards best you can, but in the end, 51% of your fate is up to the luck of the draw.
As time has gone on, the game play has become more predictable in spite of efforts to thwart that and create big shocks and turnovers. One group sort of dominates and not a lot happens to change that (most of the ripples have come from "behavior issues"). On "Survivor" they try to get around predictable outcomes with editing tricks, and on "BB" they have to try to use "twists".
Old 06-28-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
The blind eviction nomination is an interesting twist.

Really can undercut the HOH power (not sure if that is good or bad); in addition to making it harder to target or even backdoor someone, it also means two more people in the veto comp which makes that tougher to control for the HOH

It would seem to make any big alliance early on more powerful - as it gives that alliance a decent chance to get one of their targets up on the block even if they don't control HOH.
I can't help but think this new roadkill twist is just another means for production to manipulate and fix the game.

Looks like it's going to be a timed blind competition, so they can just hand the secret nomination power to anyone they want to have it. The players have no idea who won or how long it took them to do it, the viewers at home and on the feeds don't get to watch. Everyone has to take production's word that whoever won legitimately won.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-29-16 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-28-16, 11:04 PM

^ I was trying to avoid the conspiracy theory, but it makes it much harder for a true minority alliance wildcard player to shake things up as HOH as they now only can control 2 of the 3 nominees unless they also win the roadkill challenge too. It basically gives more power to anyone in a larger alliance - which early on seems to be the returnees and the 4 people they swung over.

I'm not sure they are cooking the actual competition, but I do wonder if the competitions are all mapped out in advance or maybe some of the challenges are re-ordered to perhaps steer things toward a more favorable outcome.
Old 06-29-16, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure they are cooking the actual competition, but I do wonder if the competitions are all mapped out in advance or maybe some of the challenges are re-ordered to perhaps steer things toward a more favorable outcome.
This has been the general theory for years now. I don't think AG (the producer) can outright rig the game but she can do everything this side of it and try to manipulate an outcome closer to what she's after. A theory right now (and its not on the show itself, so it's not a "spoiler") is that the first players off are going to be sequestered (supposedly first-player-off Glenn is), so that at least one of them can come back (in case the producers lose someone early that they favor).
Old 06-29-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I was trying to avoid the conspiracy theory, but it makes it much harder for a true minority alliance wildcard player to shake things up as HOH as they now only can control 2 of the 3 nominees unless they also win the roadkill challenge too. It basically gives more power to anyone in a larger alliance - which early on seems to be the returnees and the 4 people they swung over.

I *think* game show laws apply to shows like Big Brother so they can't outright rig competitions. That said, I've read pieces from editors on reality shows in the past that fully admit to changing a game to favor a certain player, or increase the drama/conflict.

The roadkill game isn't as much an opportunity to outright change the results to what they want, but to produce one more factor they can influence based on players strengths and weaknesses.

This last week's competition with the coconuts definitely favored someone small and light like Nicole and worked against a larger guy like Glenn.

With a show like Big Brother, the best players realize that in addition to playing against the other cast, they're also playing against production. If they can manipulate production by being a great villain or give great quotes, etc, they have a better chance of camera time and things going their way.
Old 06-29-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
This has been the general theory for years now. I don't think AG (the producer) can outright rig the game but she can do everything this side of it and try to manipulate an outcome closer to what she's after. A theory right now (and its not on the show itself, so it's not a "spoiler") is that the first players off are going to be sequestered (supposedly first-player-off Glenn is), so that at least one of them can come back (in case the producers lose someone early that they favor).
Or they can just create a special power out of thin air and give it to the player they want to try to course correct the season.

That has happened more than a couple of times. (Jeff's coup d'état is probably the most blatant example).

Other blatant show rigs...BB13 reinstituting the partners at final 6 and making the competition a do over of the competition that Rachel already won to save both Rachel and Jordan. Sharon getting totally hosed in the final four HOH competition in BB9 so the show could save Ryan and Baller (of all people). Eric basically getting told he would get expelled if Dick left the week it was Dick/Dustin on the block.
Old 06-29-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^
Yeah, in BB8, during the live double eviction Eric won the POV and was told by production that they wouldn'y let him use it because he and Jessica were going to backdoor Evel Dick.

They even admitted it, using Eric being "America's Player" as the bullshit excuse.

If I was Eric I would have used the veto anyway. The shit's going out live and it would have been a huge black eye on the show for them to do anything. And what kind of a threat is kicking him off, anyway? It's obvious hey had the fix in for Dick and Danielle so he's not going to make the final two. I guess they could have withheld his stipend and whatever he won from being America's player, but kicking him off would have made the show look really bad.
Old 06-29-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

This Jozea retard is hilariously clueless. Seriously one of the most delusional/vain/moronic housemates ever. Almost a shame the bearded douche won veto; would rather he go and Jozea hang around another week or two to bring the funny.
Old 06-29-16, 11:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

https://twitter.com/jozeasdelusions
Old 06-30-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is fucking gold.
Old 06-30-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

dead

Old 06-30-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just caught up with six hours of Big Brother. That was a lot of Big Brother. No real opinions on anyone yet, b/c I never trust Alison's edit.

HOH Team safe
Spoiler:
Category Four all safe

HOH for the week
Spoiler:
Paulie
Old 07-01-16, 04:57 AM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

All these twist have really cut any drama out of the season for at least a month. The structure of Roadkill/HOH setup makes it impossible for the 8Pack alliance fail and they should easily be able to just pick off the other side 1 by 1 even if non 8pack noobs grow a brain and figure they are sitting ducks.
Old 07-01-16, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figure if Glenn can just beat Jozea in this new comp announced last night, he'll be on the road to come back and clean things up. I believe the first challenge is based on Ariana Grande trivia. Good luck, Glenn!
Old 07-01-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Coverage of all four “Battle Back” competitions, leading up to the reveal of the winner, will air during a special Friday episode of Big Brother, airing in three weeks, on July 22.
Old 07-01-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Coverage of all four “Battle Back” competitions, leading up to the reveal of the winner, will air during a special Friday episode of Big Brother, airing in three weeks, on July 22.
I don't know why they're doing this. Why not let us see week-to-week a competition to heighten the tension? It's likely because they want to have more control over seeing who gets voted out so they can manipulate...
Old 07-01-16, 09:43 AM

Poor Glenn. He has to wait in sequester another 3 weeks for the chance to win 4 competitions in a row to get back on the show.
Old 07-02-16, 11:23 AM

So cute.

Old 07-02-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by xx2000xx
So cute.

Yeah, she's probably the closest thing to a "hottie" this season, but I wish she'd cut back on all the make-up.
Old 07-02-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I think Bridgette is cute.
Old 07-02-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Bridgette's kind of cute without being overtly hot.

Zakiyah looks pretty good, too. She was in bed with one of the meatheads last night, sort of feeling each other out, and looked pretty damned good. Horrible taste in men, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.