TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge (NBC) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 10:04 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge (NBC) -- Series Thread

"SPARTAN: ULTIMATE TEAM CHALLENGE"

(X) "PREMIERE" ORIGINAL

06/13/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : AN EXHILARATING NEW SUMMER COMPETITION SHOW FEATURING THE MOST GRUELING OBSTACLE COURSE EVER MADE - From the producers of "American Ninja Warrior" comes "Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge," featuring six teams per episode competing on a mile-long course that's equally demanding and punishing. Each team of five will be responsible for getting their teammates through mud, water and barbed wire, culminating with an attempt to conquer the dreaded Slip Wall for a shot at $250,000. Dhani Jones and Kyle Martino host with Evan Dollard and MJ Acosta as course reporters. TV-PG L

Read more: Listings - SPARTAN: ULTIMATE TEAM CHALLENGE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2...#ixzz4BTKQiqVR

Last edited by dex14; 06-12-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge (NBC) - premieres 6/13/16

This did quite well for NBC, and it's smartly combined with "ANW". I'll be curious to see how well it does next week. Personally, I found this a bit rambling, and hard to focus on since you have so many teams on the field and no built-in rooting interest. They did try to create their share of "lump in the throat" back-stories, though.
Old 06-16-16, 09:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the concept behind this, but the execution was lacking for me. A large problem for me is that with this sprawling course with so many different obstacles and this track unfamiliar to me as a viewer, I had a hard time keeping track of how far behind or ahead these teams were. A race loses its inherent drama without the viewer being able to roughly calculate the separation of teams. I think they should have at least numbered the obstacles... like 'Station 4' or whatever. Also if they had an onscreen graphic throughout the run with all three teams' positions.

I also hated the dynamic of not even showing the first of the three runs. Between that and the fact the multinational team got the most highlighted 'human interest' promo, it telegraphed the ending a bit.
Old 06-17-16, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
... I also hated the dynamic of not even showing the first of the three runs. Between that and the fact the multinational team got the most highlighted 'human interest' promo, it telegraphed the ending a bit.
So far so good for us as well. Also surprised they glossed over 1 run in a minute. I should have seen the "dream team" foreshadowing coming (thought Law & Order had it in hand ... ).
Old 06-17-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I didn't particularly enjoy this competition. Some of the obstacles are brutal, but that turns it from an athletic competition to a battle of pain endurance. The risk of injury looks very high, the insurance must be insane.
Old 06-17-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

They also telegraphed who was going to get the wildcard in the final by constantly hyping the story of the little girl without actually showing the story.
Old 06-12-17, 07:08 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

06/12/2017 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : SEASON PREMIERE - THE EXHILARATING SUMMER COMPETITION RETURNS WITH A NEW GRITTY SETTING AND THE MOST GRUELING OBSTACLE COURSE EVER MADE - From the producers of "American Ninja Warrior" comes a new season of "Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge," featuring six teams per episode competing on a mile-long course that's equally demanding and punishing. Each team of five will be responsible for getting their teammates through mud, water and barbed wire, culminating with an attempt to conquer the dreaded Slip Wall for a shot at $250,000. Apolo Ohno and Kelvin Washington host with Nick Swisher and MJ Acosta as course reporters. TV-PG
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xVf_NTsuzPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
Re: Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge (NBC) -- Series Thread

Looks like they really changed things up for this season. Looks like they're running at night on what looks like a movie set instead of running in the "wild" like they did last season. I'll be watching. It's a good show to watch while you're on the exercise bike/treadmill/elliptical.
Old 06-12-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just watched the S2 premiere and did not care for the new format at all. Last year I liked the outdoor aspect of the challenges, the challenges were more interesting (i.e. spear throw) and it was visually appealing, There are no coaches this year... I'm ok with that, but the coaches did add another layer to the competition. Disappointed.
Old 06-14-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

We never saw it last year, but thought it was pretty good after seeing the premiere. The hosts, especially the guy on the ground, is a bit over the top. I prefer the hosts more like the guys on ANW--excited but not completely caricatures.

Looks like next week one of the teams will be an ANW group. Nice cross-promotion. It's amazing how these people have become stars because of these shows...
Old 07-31-17, 03:50 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
Just watched the S2 premiere and did not care for the new format at all. Last year I liked the outdoor aspect of the challenges, the challenges were more interesting (i.e. spear throw) and it was visually appealing, There are no coaches this year... I'm ok with that, but the coaches did add another layer to the competition. Disappointed.
I actually preferred this new format. The course felt tighter and seemed to rely more on the obstacles and less on trekking across long stretches of land. I also was happy they started showing all the runs, as that was my biggest pet peeve with season 1.
Old 08-02-17, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But still waaay too much backstory .... But that's was FF is for eh?