Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E05) -- "The Door" -- 5/22/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E05) -- "The Door" -- 5/22/16

I don't understand the Greyjoy thing.

If Greyjoy #1 is going to help advance the main plot, then what are Greyjoy #2 and #2a going to do with the plot? Just pirate around and try and kill #1, so they can take over the main plot advancement? Rat him out to the existing power structure in Westeros? I don't see that turning out well for them.
Old 05-23-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of quick predictions....

We have not seen the last of Hodor. Think zombie Hodor...

Ben Stark will return. Perhaps as a rogue good zombie, (playing the part of book Cat?). Maybe that's how Meera and Bran get out of the great white north...

Unbelievable episode. So much to think about. Easily in my top 3 episodes of all time...
Old 05-23-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
Ben Stark will return. Perhaps as a rogue good zombie, (playing the part of book Cat?). Maybe that's how Meera and Bran get out of the great white north...
I'm thinking we might get
Spoiler:
Coldhands
Old 05-23-16, 11:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, or else 3ER would've snapped Bran out of it.

She looks a lot like Rachel Weisz.
I wonder if she is really hundreds of years old since she had on the exact same power necklace as Melisandre.
Old 05-23-16, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yes, he's the Three-Eyed Raven and he couldn't physically leave the tree.

But if Bran, Meera, Hodor, and Summer had started running IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Three-Eyed Raven told Bran that the White Walkers were coming because they were not protected anymore, then Hodor (Wylis) and Summer would probably still be alive.

Instead the Three-Eyed Raven and Bran warged to Winterfell in the past to see some seemingly unimportant event (was there any importance to what they were seeing there?) which made them all sitting ducks in the tree when the White Walkers arrived.
According to the show creators, the Three-Eyed Raven was trying to hurry up and download all his knowledge to Bran so there is something in that past that is important. He ran out of time and said Bran was not ready.
Old 05-23-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
According to the show creators, the Three-Eyed Raven was trying to hurry up and download all his knowledge to Bran so there is something in that past that is important. He ran out of time and said Bran was not ready.
I would hope so. I wanted to scream at them to get the hell out of there immediately, I have no idea what they were doing in the past.
Old 05-23-16, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I would hope so. I wanted to scream at them to get the hell out of there immediately, I have no idea what they were doing in the past.
Yeah me too. It seemed completely hopeless at one point with that horde almost right on top of them. I noticed Jack Bender directed this episode and that name sounded so familiar. I looked him up and he directed many of the great episodes of Lost! I could definitely see some Lost flavor in this episode. Probably a top 5 GOT episode for me. I still can't stop thinking about it and I remember Lost had that same effect on me.
Old 05-23-16, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Yeah me too. It seemed completely hopeless at one point with that horde almost right on top of them. I noticed Jack Bender directed this episode and that name sounded so familiar. I looked him up and he directed many of the great episodes of Lost! I could definitely see some Lost flavor in this episode. Probably a top 5 GOT episode for me. I still can't stop thinking about it and I remember Lost had that same effect on me.
Bender also directed some good Sopranos episodes and Directed episodes of Carnivale as well. They should definitely bring him back for next season.
Old 05-23-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yeah, that was weird. 3ER was all "they're on their way here now, you have to leave!", then, instead of leaving, they're deep into some random, seemingly unimportant past. Hodor wouldn't need to hold the door if they had split the second Bran got touched.
Old 05-23-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Spoiler:
Coldhands
FYI:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/01/...s-in-a-song-of

Perhaps in the book, you know who reappears and helps Bran on the other end, so we may very well see an appearance of the character, but the link does imply that he is not who fans hope he is.
Old 05-23-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
So young Hodor is flopping around yelling "Hold The Door!" for a few minutes with a crowd watching. We were able to put 2 and 2 together, yet the witnesses couldn't? It became some big mystery at Winterfell?

"Why is Hodor all he says?"
"Nobody really knows"

Sloppy
Not sloppy at all. Think from the viewpoint of the people back then who saw him flop down all of a sudden and start shaking and briefly saying "hold the door" before it morphed into "ho'dor". Why did that whole event happen? Nobody (who was there at the time) really knows. The brief Q&A you put forth is just a summary of the whole situation.

"How did he go from a normal person who can talk like anyone else to a lummox who just utters an abbreviated version of 'hold the door'?"
"Beats the fuck out of me."
Old 05-23-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
Coldhands
Yessir!
Spoiler:
Benjen Coldhands?
Old 05-23-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch
I don't understand the Greyjoy thing.

If Greyjoy #1 is going to help advance the main plot, then what are Greyjoy #2 and #2a going to do with the plot? Just pirate around and try and kill #1, so they can take over the main plot advancement? Rat him out to the existing power structure in Westeros? I don't see that turning out well for them.
Theon and his sister's chief concern was getting away from their uncle before he could kill them. Now they could Ally with Jon and Sansa. That would make the most sense.
Old 05-23-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Kudos to the young actor who babble-transitioned from "hold the door" to "Hodor." I didn't see it coming until it hit.

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, that was weird. 3ER was all "they're on their way here now, you have to leave!", then, instead of leaving, they're deep into some random, seemingly unimportant past. Hodor wouldn't need to hold the door if they had split the second Bran got touched.
That annoyed me as well, but I'm not sure they would've been fast enough anyway considering how those wights move. And can the Night King find Bran anywhere now? Or does the marking ("Bran-ding"?) not allow tracking but just entry past the magical barrier when they already knew where Bran et al. were (sort of like a Buffy vampire being invited into a home)?
Old 05-23-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yes, he's the Three-Eyed Raven and he couldn't physically leave the tree.

But if Bran, Meera, Hodor, and Summer had started running IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Three-Eyed Raven told Bran that the White Walkers were coming because they were not protected anymore, then Hodor (Wylis) and Summer would probably still be alive.

Instead the Three-Eyed Raven and Bran warged to Winterfell in the past to see some seemingly unimportant event (was there any importance to what they were seeing there?) which made them all sitting ducks in the tree when the White Walkers arrived.
Well if they immediately left, Hodor would have never become Hodor. But since he's already Hodor, he has to become Hodor - unless they get into other time travel shit.
Old 05-23-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I'm not sure there's not something more to Littlefinger's plan. That doesn't seem like him to have so grossly miscalculated. It also seems very strange to me that Blackfish has supposedly taken Riverrun, but we haven't heard any mention of it anywhere. The only guy who knows is somebody who's been up the in Vale?

I think he has something else in the works.
Completely agree. Sansa hasn't learned anything if she believes that Littlefinger wouldn't give her that information because it somehow benefited him.

Now, she foolishly has sent Brienne away from her side on the word of a guy who she obviously shouldn't trust. Then to lie to John about it? That's the kind of bad decision making that gets innocent people killed. I think Brienne isn't going to last much longer.

Also, I don't think Littlefinger was ever in any real danger. He wouldn't show up there if he had any belief Sansa would do him harm. He may have miscalculated that Brienne would be there, but he had to know she wouldn't show up without someone who could easily kill him. He's not a fighter. That was a very deliberate move on his part. He knows Sansa is blinded by getting an army to take back Winterfell from Ramsey. This won't end well.
Old 05-23-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Completely agree. Sansa hasn't learned anything if she believes that Littlefinger wouldn't give her that information because it somehow benefited him.

Now, she foolishly has sent Brienne away from her side on the word of a guy who she obviously shouldn't trust. Then to lie to John about it? That's the kind of bad decision making that gets innocent people killed. I think Brienne isn't going to last much longer.

Also, I don't think Littlefinger was ever in any real danger. He wouldn't show up there if he had any belief Sansa would do him harm. He may have miscalculated that Brienne would be there, but he had to know she wouldn't show up without someone who could easily kill him. He's not a fighter. That was a very deliberate move on his part. He knows Sansa is blinded by getting an army to take back Winterfell from Ramsey. This won't end well.
I think this will be Sansa's downfall. I can't really figure out Littlefinger's play in all this. Does he want to marry Sansa and take over Winterfell? He has Harrenhall and the Vale. I guess maybe he wants to take the North and the Vale and take King's Landing?

I'm really interested in seeing how Bran and Meera are going to get out of the mess that they're in. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch next week's episode until Monday afternoon....
Old 05-23-16, 01:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

White Walker Killers club:

Jon Snow
Samwell Tarly
Meera Reed
Old 05-23-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the tree people with those firebombs.
Old 05-23-16, 02:13 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And the tree people with those firebombs.
they only killed the minions; none of the head honcho Walkers (unless i missed a kill)
Old 05-23-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Kudos to the young actor who babble-transitioned from "hold the door" to "Hodor." I didn't see it coming until it hit.

That annoyed me as well, but I'm not sure they would've been fast enough anyway considering how those wights move. And can the Night King find Bran anywhere now? Or does the marking ("Bran-ding"?) not allow tracking but just entry past the magical barrier when they already knew where Bran et al. were (sort of like a Buffy vampire being invited into a home)?
I have a feeling Bran is going to decide it best to lose an arm.
Old 05-23-16, 02:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i love how this show (at least for me) is so rewatchable. i must have seen each ep. this season twice and still found something new. i can't wait to rewatch it all, one day, again...
Old 05-23-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oldboy, I was doing that passively with the show a few weeks ago. It helped me know from the beginning the relationships between characters, houses. Definitely picked up on more.
Old 05-23-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
they only killed the minions; none of the head honcho Walkers (unless i missed a kill)
Meera killed a walker. She threw a spear presumably tipped with dragon glass, and the walker shattered.
Old 05-23-16, 02:44 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meera killed a walker. She threw a spear presumably tipped with dragon glass, and the walker shattered.
she was already listed in the club

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.