Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Houdini & Doyle (FOX) -- From the creator of House -- Series Thread -- 5/2/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Houdini & Doyle (FOX) -- From the creator of House -- Series Thread -- 5/2/16

TWO GREAT MEN OF THE 20TH CENTURY JOIN FORCES ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "HOUDINI & DOYLE" MONDAY, MAY 2, ON FOX

On this new mystery adventure drama, two great men of the 20th Century - HARRY HOUDINI (Michael Weston, "House," "Six Feet Under"), master magician, escape artist and paranormal debunker; and ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE (Stephen Mangan, "Episodes"), prolific writer, creator of "Sherlock Holmes" and paranormal aficionado - join forces with ADELAIDE STRATTON, New Scotland Yard's first female constable ever to work for the London Metropolitan Police Force (Rebecca Liddiard, "Man Seeking Woman"), to investigate unsolved and inexplicable crimes with a supernatural slant. In the series' debut, Houdini, Doyle and Adelaide investigate the murder of a nun in one of the notorious Magdalene Laundries. A witness claims the killer is a young woman who was tormented by the nun. The only problem is, that young woman has been dead for six months. Tune in to the all-new "The Maggie's Redress" series premiere episode of HOUDINI & DOYLE airing Monday, May 2 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (HAD-101) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Stephen Mangan as Arthur Conan Doyle, Michael Weston as Harry Houdini, Rebecca Liddiard as Constable Adelaide Stratton, Tim McInnerny as Chief Inspector Merring and Adam Nagaitis as Sergeant Gudgett.

Guest Cast: Louise Delamere as Touie Conan Doyle, Emily Carey as Mary Conan Doyle, Noah Jupe as Kingsley Conan Doyle, Diana Quick as Cecilia Weiss, Simone Kirby as Sister Grace, Adedayo as Winnie, Jerry-Jane Pears as Florrie, Amanda Lawrence as Sister Mathilda, Flora Turner as Lucy Allthorpe, Eileen O'Brien as Sister Fabian, Penny Downie as Mrs. Sulzbach

10 episode season

This is from David Shore, the creator of House. The season has already aired in the UK.

Old 05-02-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Houdini & Doyle (FOX) -- From the creator of House -- Series Thread -- 5/2/16

Well, it's "mostly aired" in the UK. I think episode 8 aired last week.

It's not a bad show - the relationship between Doyle and Houdini is fun and the show has a "Ripper Street or Penny Dreadful that doesn't take itself so damn seriously" vibe. But the actual "mysteries" aren't that good - and actually get worse as the show goes on. And sometimes the "moral message" of the show can be really ham-fisted. For example (SPOILERS):

Spoiler:
There's an episode where the (pregnant) white wife of an interracial marriage goes missing from a small village. Of course, the whole town wants to hang her black husband, even though he swears "aliens" took her. But, come to find out, the village was once a huge mining town, and people came from all over Europe to work there. But when jobs started to dry up, Romanians were threatened and beaten up. Legend says they all left town. But, come to find out, they never left, and have been living in caves for 100+ years. They only come out at night to forage and steal what they need. As a result, their skin is grey, their hair is stringy, and their eyes barely open. They do kind of look like aliens. And, come to find out, they "took" the pregnant girl because she was having a medical issue, and they made her better. So the whole town, originally come to lynch the lot, thanks them instead and welcomes them to the community. And the viewer gets an overt lesson in tolerance and diversity. Yawn.
Old 05-02-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Houdini & Doyle (FOX) -- From the creator of House -- Series Thread -- 5/2/16

I hadn't realized it had aired in the UK. The one or two "print" reviews I've read have been negative, and, we really need another "odd couple" investigating supernatural cases of the week.
Old 05-03-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Watched the premiere live last night. I really did not like this at all. The Houdini actor was not very good, the plot was hard to follow (maybe because it did not hold my attention), and there was not enough chemistry or humor between any of the leads.
Old 05-03-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This was a ratings dud...so much other stuff to record and even more that I need to catch up on, so I am deleting it unwatched.
Old 05-03-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a lot of potential, but it sounds like most of it was wasted.
Old 05-04-16, 09:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Watched the premiere live last night. I really did not like this at all. The Houdini actor was not very good, the plot was hard to follow (maybe because it did not hold my attention), and there was not enough chemistry or humor between any of the leads.
I mostly agree with this. It was hard to tell of the actors are good or not, because the material they had to work with is so blah. I did notice that the Doyle character, at times, looks a lot like Hugh Laurie. Coincidence?
Old 05-04-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I enjoyed the premier quite a bit. I thought the three leads played well of each other. And it's great seeing the actor from Episodes as Doyle. Didn't expect much more than a fun, shallow procedural and that's what I got. I'll be glad if it sticks around.
Old 05-04-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I found the pilot extremely formulaic and casting seemed a bit second-rate for a network show. Discovering it has already aired in the UK now makes a lot more sense.

There is a hint of a good show in the concept but it's telling that the pilot already featured a terribly dumb and contrived solution to its first mystery. If you can't come up with a creative mystery for episode one, that doesn't portend well.

I'll keep watching because I favor period mysteries.
Old 05-09-16, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just viewed the second episode and I liked it very much. Good to see Stephen Mangan again. He's a good Doyle.