Game of Thrones (S6E02) -- "Home" -- 5/1/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E02) -- "Home" -- 5/1/16

Old 05-04-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E02) -- "Home" -- 5/1/16

Originally Posted by HN
the maester and the karstark guy that was in the room knows. whether they have the balls to rat out ramsay is another matter.
My guess is people think twice, or three or four times, before crossing Ramsay.
Old 05-04-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Although we do have to consider the possibility that Jaqen is indeed her teacher. It may end up being a reveal for later in the books. Probably not, though.
Spoiler:
It is theorized that Jaqen is actually in Oldtown. The description of the Faceless man from the prologue matches the face Jaqen morphed into at the end of book two. Sam runs into him in the Citadel later on.

I'm also not 100% sure Jaqen is Jaqen in the show, or just using that face so Arya trusts him.
Old 05-04-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Yes, in the last book the kingsmoot had already happened but I don't think the plot had advanced much beyond this point in terms of what actually happens on the Iron Islands. However, there is a substantial chronology shift:

Spoiler:
Asha ("Yara" on the show) was actually with Stannis having been captured when Stannis took (IIRC) Deepwood Motte. This all happened after the kingsmoot. Instead, Yara is going to participate in the kingsmoot after Stannis is already dead and buried. We don't know for sure what happened with Yara when Ramsey attacked Stannis since that happens "off camera" in the book. So, if Yara is going to continue to be at least somewhat prominent in the show and the show is going to be at least moderately faithful to the books, that means that she must have escaped during the Ramsey/Stannis battle and made her way back to the Iron Islands (most likely). It might also mean that she had been killed off with Stannis and that she will end up dying shortly after the kingsmoot in the show to get rid of her. I consider the latter to be more likely.
I think That
Spoiler:
Yara, if she doesn't serve the endgame in some way, will get killed off. But I have a feeling that she'll leave Pyke after the Kingsmoot and supply a navy for Dany after they made a big deal out her ships being burned.

You can sort of see alliances forming: in the North you have Jon, Davos, Melisandre, and the Wildlings. In Mereen you have Dany, Tyrion, Jorah, and possibly Yara and possibly the Dothraki.
Old 05-04-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think That
Spoiler:
Yara, if she doesn't serve the endgame in some way, will get killed off.

But I have a feeling that she'll leave Pyke after the Kingsmoot and supply a navy for Dany after they made a big deal out her ships being burned.
Spoiler:
I think it is more likely that she is killed off unless it is the in the cards for Theon to die. I doubt that the Iron Islands storyline will continue with only Euron as a major character since he was just introduced. One of Theon or Yara is toast, and probably pretty soon.

It is quite possible that it will be Euron who supplies Dany her navy, although he has all the makings of a less than good guy character so there may be some conflict there. Perhaps Dany kills Euron, takes his navy, goes first to the Iron Islands and then ends up making an ally of whichever of Yara/Theon still lives? I am, of course, speculating out of my rectal orifice right now, but I do agree that it is somehow likely that the Iron Islands supplies the ships by which Dany crosses the Narrow Sea.
Old 05-04-16, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Spoiler:
This is where your memory faults you. As she is being hanged, Lady Stoneheart says she must kill Jaime if she wants to live. She agrees to kill Jaime (because he is a Lannister and LSH wants all Lannisters, Boltons and Freys dead). She meets up with Jaime and tells him they must go find the Hound and that they need to go alone or he will kill Sansa.
Oh yeah, for some reason I only barely remember that part.
Old 05-04-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm still waiting to find out: Where is Bronn?!?!
Old 05-04-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to see
Spoiler:
cannibal
Rickon!

Last edited by Strapped4Cash; 05-04-16 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Another illogical issue I has was why the zombie Mountain would kill this one drunk guy who posed no threat to Cersei just for making lewd jokes about her. How did he even find him and know who he was and what he did? Made no sense to me.
Qyburn is Master of Whispers and Cersei has hundreds of spies in her employ. Why not flex her muscle to take out an annoyance? It'll prepare her for her bigger targets.
Old 05-05-16, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched the aftershow again this week and found it a little less annoying. I wasn't paying super-close attention, though.
Old 05-05-16, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I watched the aftershow again this week and found it a little less annoying. I wasn't paying super-close attention, though.
It was a little better, yes.
Old 05-05-16, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

It was a little better, yes.
I agree. It'll never be "Talking Dead", -it doesn't have a seasoned Host/Comic leading the discussion, and it probably won't have actors from the show (at least major actors). I found this episode informative and a decent general discussion of the episode and what happened.
Old 05-05-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are we putting "spoiler" tags around speculation of the future direction of the show? It's not like anyone knows what's going to happen.
Old 05-05-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
To me, Jon Snow is the least compelling POV character in the show. He's a stock fantasy hero in a show the celebrates destroying stock fantasy heroes. Kit Harington is a middling actor and his portrayal of Snow is anodyne. Also, Snow's resurrection ranks as one of the least surprising plot developments in the show's history, ranking below even other developments on the very episode the resurrection happened in. The resurrection was also set up and delivered in the most telegraphed, obvious way possible. In a show of constant spectacle and constant surprises, this whole plot line doesn't rank highly.

Yet, Kit Harington has cute eyes, nice cheekbones and abs so to the cover of EW he goes! I hate this world.
I just started watching the show last year and binged the series so I don't have knowledge of the books nor did I get to read weekly the ads here. That said when Snow got killed I didn't think it was a big deal because I didn't think he was a major character. I was shocked when Robb was killed because I thought they were setting him up to be "the guy" but I've never had that feeling with Snow.
Old 05-05-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber
I just started watching the show last year and binged the series so I don't have knowledge of the books nor did I get to read weekly the ads here. That said when Snow got killed I didn't think it was a big deal because I didn't think he was a major character. I was shocked when Robb was killed because I thought they were setting him up to be "the guy" but I've never had that feeling with Snow.
He's been "the guy" (along with a few others, of course) for me in recent seasons because of a couple things: (1) The Starks were set up as the central family in the show, and there aren't many of them left. (2) The narrative is that all the Westeros stuff is nothing compared to the upcoming battle with the White Walkers, and Jon Snow is the only major character (or one of very few) who really understands that.
Old 05-05-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Qyburn is Master of Whispers and Cersei has hundreds of spies in her employ. Why not flex her muscle to take out an annoyance? It'll prepare her for her bigger targets.

Qyburn is the puppet master.

Old 05-05-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

He's been "the guy" (along with a few others, of course) for me in recent seasons because of a couple things: (1) The Starks were set up as the central family in the show, and there aren't many of them left. (2) The narrative is that all the Westeros stuff is nothing compared to the upcoming battle with the White Walkers, and Jon Snow is the only major character (or one of very few) who really understands that.
I didn't start reading the books until after season one, but I thought they set up Jon and Dany as the two ultimate main characters from the first episode.

I assume their eventual union in the last season will be the payoff to Jon and Tyrion becoming friends way back in season one. Having dragons in a battle against white walkers will probably be important.
Old 05-05-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Having dragons in a battle against white walkers will probably be important.
Yeah, you might say this is a song of ice (white walkers) and fire (dragons)
Old 05-05-16, 11:53 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

speaking of Ice, what happened to joffrey's "widows wail"?
Old 05-05-16, 12:30 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I didn't start reading the books until after season one, but I thought they set up Jon and Dany as the two ultimate main characters from the first episode.

I assume their eventual union in the last season will be the payoff to Jon and Tyrion becoming friends way back in season one. Having dragons in a battle against white walkers will probably be important.
Old 05-05-16, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I agree. It'll never be "Talking Dead", -it doesn't have a seasoned Host/Comic leading the discussion, and it probably won't have actors from the show (at least major actors). I found this episode informative and a decent general discussion of the episode and what happened.
One thing that will always hurt the show is that, being an HBO show, they cannot bite the hand that feeds them, so to speak. So they can do a deep dive on what the meaning behind what has happened so far is, but they will not be able to speculate too specifically about what is going to happen in case they are actually right.
Old 05-05-16, 05:20 PM

Old 05-05-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

As a side question, has George R.R. Martin said that he already knew/mapped out (for example) Jon Snow's mother and Hodor's backstory since before the first book was published in 1996?
Old 05-05-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
As a side question, has George R.R. Martin said that he already knew/mapped out (for example) Jon Snow's mother and Hodor's backstory since before the first book was published in 1996?
He's probably known all of the major stuff in broad strokes. If that one popular theory about Jon pans out, then it was strongly foreshadowed in the first novel. If you read the book with the theory in mind, everything you read just fits perfectly.

Hodor, I don't know. That could just be something that the tv writers came up with; I don't think Martin has done much him in the books.

There's also an interesting side theory that stacks onto the RLJ theory, and that one is
Spoiler:
that Lyanna Stark had twins. A boy and a girl. The boy was Jon Snow, and the girl twin was taken by Howland Reed, and named Meera Reed. The girl traveling with Bran and Hodor. She does look quite a bit like Jon.

It looks like we're getting the Tower of Joy this week, so we should know before long.
Old 05-05-16, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The narrative is that all the Westeros stuff is nothing compared to the upcoming battle with the White Walkers, and Jon Snow is the only major character (or one of very few) who really understands that.
That brings up something that bugs me a little; maybe someone can explain it to me.

I thought Stannis knew what was up with the White Walkers after Davos and Melisandre told him about the Night's Watch message. That was why he took his army to the Wall, not just to fight wildlings. And yet, even knowing the danger to all of Westeros, he decided to turn back toward Winterfell. I just don't get that part of the story.
Old 05-06-16, 09:24 AM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.