Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Klick" -- 4/18/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Better Call Saul (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Klick" -- 4/18/16

I thought the entire scene with Mike and the aborted assassination attempt was amazing. Sure you could say "nothing happened" but there was so much tension in that scene, and the way it played out I thought was masterful. It really held my interest and I think it underscored just how deliberate and patient Mike is as a character. A lesser man would have just taken a shot, but slowly watching him trying to do it once and do it right I thought was a really mesmerizing scene.

That coupled with the fact that we know Hector ends up in a wheelchair, I think the viewers expected Mike to shoot him. So what happened was a surprise, even though "nothing happened".
Old 04-19-16, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
That coupled with the fact that we know Hector ends up in a wheelchair, I think the viewers expected Mike to shoot him. So what happened was a surprise, even though "nothing happened".
This!
Old 04-19-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the entire scene with Mike and the aborted assassination attempt was amazing. Sure you could say "nothing happened" but there was so much tension in that scene, and the way it played out I thought was masterful. It really held my interest and I think it underscored just how deliberate and patient Mike is as a character. A lesser man would have just taken a shot, but slowly watching him trying to do it once and do it right I thought was a really mesmerizing scene.

The Mike scene was awesome, especially when everything went dead silent.
Old 04-19-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The characters on BB were evolving characters throughout the show yet things still managed to happen. There was so much set up with the gun and that set up led to a note on the car. That's not the type of payoff we should be getting in a finale. If we'd have seen Gus in that scene that would have been a payoff. There was no payoff with Jimmy and Chuck either. I don't mind the slow build if they give us something and the season finale is the place to give us some payoff while giving us something to look forward to. I think they failed here.
I guess I was fine with it. The subtlety of the note to Mike was enough for me. It gave the hint that someone is watching him and we're left to figure out who it could be. I don't think they needed to show Gus or one of his associates (assuming that's who left it) at this point in time. Same goes with Jimmy in my opinion. For the first couple of seasons we're led to believe that he's a decent guy who has questionable judgment. I'm thinking the tape is going to be the thing that turns him as he'll have been betrayed by Chuck yet again (even though he does it to himself by confessing) and they'll probably end up cutting ties soon.
Old 04-19-16, 11:47 AM
Banned

Two favorite moments:

The "Weasel" ad appearing immediately following Jimmy's (with the word "WEASEL" emphasized);

The tech specs conversation between the arms dealer & Mike. Dialogue straight out of a Bob Lee Swagger book.
Old 04-19-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper

The "Weasel" ad appearing immediately following Jimmy's (with the word "WEASEL" emphasized);
It's the Garden WEASEL! That's a legendary product.

[
Old 04-19-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I was fine with it. The subtlety of the note to Mike was enough for me. It gave the hint that someone is watching him and we're left to figure out who it could be. I don't think they needed to show Gus or one of his associates (assuming that's who left it) at this point in time. Same goes with Jimmy in my opinion. For the first couple of seasons we're led to believe that he's a decent guy who has questionable judgment. I'm thinking the tape is going to be the thing that turns him as he'll have been betrayed by Chuck yet again (even though he does it to himself by confessing) and they'll probably end up cutting ties soon.
It's Kim's reputation mentioned on the tape as well, so this is leading to the ending of both of Jimmy's relationships.
Old 04-19-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The tape may not be admissible in a court of law, but could be used at a disbarment hearing.
Old 04-19-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

But we know he's not getting disbarred since he just can't change his name and get the law degree. NM does allow tape recordings regardless of permission granted, though.
Old 04-19-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Did anyone else notice the silenced F-bombs? During the conversation with Jimmy & Chuck, they both said 'rat-fuck' (i think).
Yes nothing happened, but it was still a great episode IMO, & I guess I'm in the minority being that I like Chuck.
Did anyone catch Talking Saul? Jonathan Banks seems a little spaced out, especially during his speech about not forgiving family.
Old 04-19-16, 05:16 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Some bits from interview with Gilligan and Gould:

When you start to think about who might have left that note, your mind immediately goes to Gus Fring, given his future ties to Mike and ties to Hector through the Juarez cartel. Fair assumption?

GILLIGAN: Fair assumption. [Laughs] Yeah.

GOULD: I think we’ve tipped our hand.

GILLIGAN: Yeah, I think we have. I think we did last night on Talking Saul. We’ve got some very [smart fans, who deduced that an anagram of the first letter of this season’s episode titles spells “FRINGSBACK”].

GOULD: Having said that, I would be very sad if people were expecting to see that character right away on season 3. Right now, this is a guy — I’m talking about Gus Fring — who often works very indirectly. This is not somebody who is not easy to access. On Breaking Bad at times he was a little bit like the man behind the curtain, like the Wizard of Oz, not so easy to get to see. So, none of this is to say that suddenly you’re going to be seeing an awful lot of that character once we come back.

Vince, you said earlier this season that you had planned a really big cameo appearance by a Breaking Bad cast member in the finale, but were rightly talked out of doing it by Peter. Now that the dust has settled, who was the actor and what was the context?

GILLIGAN: We talked about it at length in the writers’ room and I thought it would be a fun idea. Since Chuck was in the hospital and was about to get a CAT scan, I thought it’d be a fun for Hank’s wife, Marie, played by the gorgeous Betsy Brandt to be the one operating the machine, since as we know she’s an X-ray technician. I thought it would be a great and organic opportunity to bring back one of our fundamental Breaking Bad characters, and Peter and the other writers rightly talked me out of it. Not because they don’t love Betsy just as much as I do but it would have distracted the viewer in the moment. It was a big moment in which we wanted to stay squarely inside of Chuck’s head as he goes through the terror and the agony of the scan. If our attention was diverted by Betsy, it would sort of dull the moment as it were, dramatically.

GOULD: And you can’t do a Betsy Brandt or Marie scene without having a great Marie moment, and how are we going to make that a great Marie moment and still keep the focus as Vince says on Chuck?

GILLIGAN: So we killed our darlings as Faulkner might have said.

GOULD: It hurt, though, because we miss Betsy.

She might return down the road?

GILLIGAN: Anything’s possible. We love her, we love our key players from Breaking Bad. We’d love to see all of them, selfishly speaking. The problem for us is to be self-disciplined enough not to just throw them all willy-nilly into every single episode.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/19...gilligan-gould
Old 04-19-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Interview between Alan Sepinwall and the show's creators. Interesting, if somewhat frustrating read.

You'll notice that Peter Gould coincidentally describes Michael McKean exactly the same way I did this morning.

'Better Call Saul' creators: Don't automatically expect to see Gus next year
Why Gilligan and Gould screwed up with the title anagram, juggling two shows in one, and more
By Alan Sepinwall @Sepinwall | Tuesday, Apr 19, 2016 2:35 PM

In my review of the Better Call Saul season 2 finale, I noted that Saul has essentially become two shows in one: the legal and romantic adventures of Jimmy McGill, which occasionally offer reminders of the show where we first met him; and the rising criminal career of Mike Ehrmantraut, which at the moment is hip-deep in Breaking Bad villains — but not necessarily the one everybody's waiting for.

Earlier today, I spoke with Saul creators Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould about the finale, the character who was implied (in a puzzle that fans online solved before the producers were expecting them to) but not shown, juggling the two shows in one, the great supporting performances by Rhea Seehorn and Michael McKean, and more. Their answers (with full spoilers, of course) are coming up just as soon as I want coffee but I do not want cream...

You guys did an interview with Rich Eisen yesterday where Vince was laughing as he said that you didn't have a deal with Giancarlo Esposito yet. Was there ever going to be a version of the finale where Gus appeared?

Vince Gilligan: No, no, no. Like we said on Rich's show, we report this a bit sheepishly: we truly did not realize how smart our fans are. That is to our detriment. We thought that we would have more control of this little puzzle we put into the titles (where the first letters, rearranged, spell out "FRINGS BACK") where we thought that today, Peter could Tweet, "Hey guys, check out the titles of this season! You might find something interesting embedded in them." That way, as people were asking the question — "Who could have left that message in the windshield of Mike's car?" — the little clue could have pointed to an answer to that. But because these folks are so smart, and because they got ahead of us, they changed the story on us, suddenly it looks to the world like, "Oh, man, Gus should have been in that episode. That was a bit of a bait-and-switch!" The clue got out way before the intended time for it to get out.

It was never the intention for Gus to be in that episode. And to take it a step further, people should not assume in any way, shape, or form that they'll see Gus in the first episode of next season. It's possible they will. It's also possible, if not more possible, they won't. Gus is a character, as we know from Breaking Bad, who casts a very long shadow, and has a great many agents doing his bidding. He's a guy who's very hard for Walter White to pin down when Walt met him, and I think that will continue to be the case. That is his character, as I understand it. He is not a guy who reveals himself very quickly.

You have basically two shows in one. The Mike show very much had its roots this season in Breaking Bad, and Jimmy's show at the moment has very little connection to Breaking Bad. How do you find yourselves juggling those two shows to make sure they both feel in balance with one another?

Peter Gould: We savor and love the scenes where we can put Bob (Odenkirk) and Jonathan Banks together. Those guys are so wonderful together, and we love those characters talking to each other. Having said that, sometimes the story doesn't want to go in that direction. We're constantly thinking about this. One of the things that seems to work for a lot of folks, and works for me, is that these two characters are on parallel tracks. Mike's track is certainly a lot more violent and has a lot of physical, kinetic impact, but Jimmy, too, is using his skills to the best of his ability to get what he wants. Sometimes, both these guys have skills that lead them down a dark path. What we're hoping is that there is a unity there to it all. I never think of it, personally, as one more overlapping with Breaking Bad than the other. But it is true that the Breaking Bad characters have come more organically to the Mike side so far.

Vince Gilligan: To that, I'd like to add that we were really nervous in the early going when Mike's story started to diverge from Jimmy's. We thought, if the peanut butter isn't in the same physical space as the chocolate, you don't have the Reese's cup. But the more we do this, the more we realize that this bifurcation of the story is not necessarily a bad thing. Now I see it almost as a benefit: folks get two shows for the price of one. Having said that, we are always very happy when these two worlds collide, and we will continue to look for moments to make that happen. Maybe there will be more of them in season 3. No promises, but you can be sure that these two will be working together, because when we saw them on Breaking Bad, Mike was Saul's private investigator. We know the Titanic's going to hit the iceberg eventually. We just don't know where.

Even more than the Salamancas, the character who generated the strongest reaction this year seemed to be Kim. I saw a lot of people saying that she's the most likable character in the entire Breaking Bad universe. When did you know that Rhea Seehorn was going to be up for all that you asked her to do this year?

Vince Gilligan: Pretty quickly last season. Even having said that, she is so wonderful, so talented. She is cute as a button, has charisma to spare. Every time we give her something that we know she's capable of, she still manages to surprise us with the depth and complexity of the emotions that she shows us.

Peter Gould: One of the things that we love about her is that she's so damn watchable. There are a couple of scenes towards the end of the season where she has big moments that are completely silent. You just watch her, everything that's happening there. We knew that she could do that last season, and I think she can take everything we throw at her and run with it. It was a matter of where the focus of the story took us. And this season was so focused on Jimmy and Kim that it gave us an opportunity for us to do a lot with her. I love that scene in the bar in episode 6 where she's contemplating calling Schweikart, and you can just see all the different tides rippling through her. Then, her deciding to break bad on her own. That's one of my favorite moments of the season, and it's sheer movie acting: these little emotions and ideas flickering across your face. I think she is magnetic, and we're so proud of Rhea and the character. I'm glad folks are liking her.

Vince Gilligan: She's got a face like a sheet of glass.

Peter Gould: Way prettier.

Vince Gilligan: Way prettier. More and more, we realized that she could do anything. She was just wonderful. I hope Emmy voters will take notice.

Peter, you've said you originally expected Jimmy to become Saul by the end of season 1, and then you realized you were all enjoying Jimmy too much to get him there so quickly. Having done two seasons, do you have a better sense of when the transformation might have to happen, or do you still like Jimmy too much to do that to him?

Peter Gould: I think it's still a process of discovery for us.

Vince Gilligan: It's a little bit of both, almost.

Peter Gould: Every move he makes that takes him closer to Saul is a little tug on our guts, and makes us sad. I was very happy, personally, when he chose, in Vince's episode, to run in and help his brother rather than watching from across the street. I think the good-heartedness of the character is something we like a lot. But we're still exploring it, and the more pressure we put on this guy, the more he seems inclined to break and become Saul Goodman. There's no doubt that season 3 is going to put a lot of pressure on him.

Vince Gilligan
: I loved it, too, that he ran in to help his brother. No matter how bad Chuck is to him, he still loves his brother. I love that humanity, and I miss that in Saul Goodman. It's going to be a tragedy, ultimately, that this man will inevitably calcify into Saul Goodman. But I keep being reminded I'm not seeing it the way everyone else is. I got an email the other day from my Uncle Gary, who's a big fan of the show, and he said, "Please tell me Jimmy's not gonna do something stupid like run in to save his brother!" I thought, "Oh, crap."

People hate Chuck. It's very impressive how much they do.

Vince Gilligan: God bless Michael McKean, whom I also hope Emmy voters pay attention to. Michael McKean is nothing like Chuck. I hope people realize that. He is a great guy, full of warmth and humanity.

Peter Gould: Funny as hell.

Vince Gilligan: And not a brittle absolutist, and he is playing this character who is completely unlike his true self, and playing it to perfection. It's his amazing acting that's making people hate this character so much.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...ySA0MFlG4L0.99
Old 04-19-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Two favorite moments:

The tech specs conversation between the arms dealer & Mike. Dialogue straight out of a Bob Lee Swagger book.
I would like to see more movies made of that character, and Earl.

Regarding this episode, I'm in agreement with Jadzia. The assassination scene was very well done.

I also agree with everyone that the recording was pretty obvious, in some manner. I thought it would be a witness present, but either way it was apparent he was fishing for a confession.

Last edited by andicus; 04-19-16 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-19-16, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
I would like to see more movies made of that character, and Earl.
You're in luck then because they're making a TV show.
Old 04-19-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, I know full well McKean is nothing like Chuck, which is what makes his performance both great and grating.
Old 04-19-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
....I guess I'm in the minority being that I like Chuck.
I'm with you. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Michael McKean? The original Hamilin & McGill:

Old 04-19-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
You're in luck then because they're making a TV show.
Really? Seems movies would be more suited, but I'll take whatever they offer.

Is it on Bob Lee or Earl?

I wonder if Stephen Hunter will do any of the writing?
Old 04-19-16, 10:53 PM
Banned

There's a very brief discussion of the USA Network show currently on Page 6 of the TV forum.
Old 04-19-16, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, we know Hector won't die, but he still could have critically injured. Also, Mike could have missed and killed Nacho.

I'm fairly certain that Gus interrupted Mike's assassination attempt, knowing that he - and his organization - would be who the Salamanca cartel would blame, and probably start a war. Gus isn't going to let Mike do that. He could have just had Mike killed instead of sending a warning note, so he probably sees something in him he can work with and groom.

The question is, how does he know about Mike? Has he beem watching the Samancas closely and saw the hijacking of the truck? Or is Nacho working with Gus and feeding him intel?
Old 04-20-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The question is, how does he know about Mike? Has he beem watching the Samancas closely and saw the hijacking of the truck? Or is Nacho working with Gus and feeding him intel?
Yeah, I hope they answer that - how would Gus know? The only thing I can think of is maybe Nacho is kinda his inside man, maybe.
Old 04-20-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The tape may not be admissible in a court of law, but could be used at a disbarment hearing.
Not a chance. Chuck is completely and totally mentally incompetent. No one would believe that it was a real confession and any attempt at prosecuting or disbarring Jimmy would be summarily dismissed almost instantly even with a dime store lawyer making the argument, and there would be almost no barrier to committing Chuck either. It is the flimsiest of plot devices.
Old 04-20-16, 06:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm clearly in the minority, but I loved the entire season, including the finale. Jadzia is spot-on about the tension in the scenes surrounding Mike's attempt to assassinate Hector.

I also love what the Chuck character adds to this show. Aside from McKean's amazing performance, I think Chuck's judgmental condescension is what ultimately will drive Jimmy to become Saul. Chuck is central to the plot. And I really enjoy the scenes with Chuck, I don't feel it drags down the show at all.
Old 04-20-16, 07:12 AM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630...ed-series.html
Old 04-20-16, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Haven't read the thread yet but I was disappointed with the finale. We knew Mike wasn't going to pull the trigger and were left with just a note. We knew Chuck was going to set Jimmy up cause there's no way their situation can end well and lead into BB. There was nothing wrong with the episode but it felt more like a filler than season finale.
Old 04-20-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I don't think it was filler. It just wasn't action heavy and didn't give what some people expected to get (a Gus reveal).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.