Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

I named my car, and I'm not a Nascar driver (straw man... But slightly applicable)
Old 04-04-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

Originally Posted by windom
I could maybe understand a baseball player naming a bat, but why would Negan name a bat? Did he used to be a baseball player? Does he name all of his weapons?
Jesus, Do you overthink like this on every show you watch? Good Lord.

There are plenty of people who give nicknames to shit they own.
Old 04-04-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Who is this Sepinwall and why does everybody bow to him? The podcast I listen to mentions him at least once per show.

This guy. 40-something television critic who works for Hitfix.com

Most people on boards like this seem to rely on his opinion whether or not a television show is worth watching.
Old 04-04-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

No offense, but are some of y'all new to TV? A cliffhanger? How dare they! I blame it on binge watching and the instant gratification of hitting "next" to go through years of content in just a few hours.
Old 04-04-16, 01:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i liked this for the most part. not as exciting as other eps. but the tension was there and the two story lines worked well. could have been better, but oh well. it was a fun 6th season...
Old 04-04-16, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gladys
Old 04-04-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
No offense, but are some of y'all new to TV? A cliffhanger? How dare they! I blame it on binge watching and the instant gratification of hitting "next" to go through years of content in just a few hours.
You still have a cliffhanger even if you reveal who was killed. The reason why people like myself hate it is that I know the impact that it had in the comic. The television version is going to lose that impact because now we have several months to prepare for any of the characters being the victim. The only truly shocking reveal that could possibly happen and rectify the situation is by having Rick or Carl be the victim and we know that's not going to happen based on Negan's dialogue.
Old 04-04-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Imagine waiting a month (or more) on a cliffhanger after reading a comic (which is a very short read), for 11+ years. The pace of this show is pretty fucking breakneck compared to that. Your "instant gratification" reasoning is laughable, at least for people who have been reading for years.

Now, that's not to say that, no shit, I get that these are different mediums and the cliffhanger here can be used to make a final decision. Nor do I presume that the victim will be the same, but just as certain adaptations don't live up to the mark, that's what this was for me.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-04-16 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Since someone else brought it up, Jeffrey Dean Morgan looked very skinny as Negan. He's definitely not weighing 200 pounds these days. He is nowhere currently near his size in Watchmen.
Old 04-04-16, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Since someone else brought it up, Jeffrey Dean Morgan looked very skinny as Negan. He's definitely not weighing 200 pounds these days. He is nowhere currently near his size in Watchmen.
I'm not sure he was ever 200 lbs. In one of the articles i linked to earlier, he said his normal weight is around 175. Maybe he bulked up for watchmen...
Old 04-04-16, 01:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i think he bulked up for The Comedian, but he looked real good here regardless...
Old 04-04-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

After looking at the comic pages, I can see why the readers are upset. That would have been a better way to shoot/end the ep, rather than the Sopranos ending.
Old 04-04-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I'm not sure he was ever 200 lbs. In one of the articles i linked to earlier, he said his normal weight is around 175. Maybe he bulked up for watchmen...

Yeah, he definitely looks bigger in pic above. Really wasn't physically imposing in the way he needed to be in this episode.
Old 04-04-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

The problem with a cliffhanger like that (and waiting 6 months for a resolution) is we're exposed to a 24/7 entertainment news cycle in 2016. News/Set photos/Cast announcements flood the internet.

What's to stop news from leaking that the "actor/actress" has signed on to a new TV show during the summer. Big reveal already ruined.

When the actors go back to work in 3 1/2 months, news is bound to leak in some form.
Old 04-04-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I have no complaints about JDM's version of Negan. I thought he did a great job with the scene. I'm interested in seeing how they write the dialogue for him. I always got a laugh out of his profanity but this version might amp up his intimidating nature since they probably can't say half the things he says in the comics.
Old 04-04-16, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher

Yeah, he definitely looks bigger in pic above. Really wasn't physically imposing in the way he needed to be in this episode.
oh yeah he was absolutely bigger in watchmen, just saying i didn't think he hit 200 (of course, i have no sources). But he was down to 135 for a role in 2015, and it's clear he didn't gain much back.

Again, i have no issue with the casting at all, just hope he beefs up a bit. And just slightly disappointed because i think that scene last night could have held more weight if he were more physically imposing. Probably didn't have time for this season (much like the guy who plays Jesus didn't have time to grow long hair and a beard).
Old 04-04-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The problem with a cliffhanger like that (and waiting 6 months for a resolution) is we're exposed to a 24/7 entertainment news cycle in 2016. News/Set photos/Cast announcements flood the internet.

What's to stop news from leaking that the "actor/actress" has signed on to a new TV show during the summer. Big reveal already ruined.

When the actors go back to work in 3 1/2 months, news is bound to leak in some form.
We are going to know very quickly by the set reports over the summer. Either the remaining actors will be seen filming new scenes on location or one actor will be working on another project outside of Georgia.

Given how this show is filmed in groups now, I'm guessing S7E1 will take place directly after this episode, while E2 will revolve around Morgan and Carol.
Old 04-04-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I can't wait to read these threads when the show comes back and everyone will be "shocked" to see it was Aaron...They may "say" they don't know who it is yet but they could not have telegraphed it being him any better unless they had a red arrow pointing to him and a sign on his back saying he is getting it. OR a red shirt.
Old 04-04-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

How exactly did they telegraph it? What were the signs you saw?
Old 04-04-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

This guy. 40-something television critic who works for Hitfix.com

Most people on boards like this seem to rely on his opinion whether or not a television show is worth watching.
Looks like a guy who spends his day watching TV and not talking to women.

In fact, he looks like the real life version of this:

Old 04-04-16, 02:06 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
You still have a cliffhanger even if you reveal who was killed. The reason why people like myself hate it is that I know the impact that it had in the comic. The television version is going to lose that impact because now we have several months to prepare for any of the characters being the victim. The only truly shocking reveal that could possibly happen and rectify the situation is by having Rick or Carl be the victim and we know that's not going to happen based on Negan's dialogue.
No, you are simply rationalizing the need for instant gratification. This is a TV show, not a monthly comic. It has different tropes and among those are season ending cliffhangers with delayed resolution. Yeah, that sucked how they played the audience for suckers with Glenn before, but that doesn't mean they are are supposed to forget it is a TV show and reassure the comic readers that they won't deviate from the scriptures (despite doing so often).

Old 04-04-16, 02:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
I don't know. Let's say it was Abraham that got killed. They pan out and there's a dead Abraham.. people crying.. FTB.

So you'd have a season break where you'd wonder what will happen now but there's really nothing to look forward to there. You figure they'll get out of it somehow someway so it doesn't really stay on your mind. You know someone didn't get out of it now.. but you don't know who. That's a reason to come back.
Yeah, but those people are coming back regardless. They were building to this big moment... emotionally I'm on the edge of my seat and... out of time, folks! See you in 6 months!

For me, I just feel like all the tense energy they invested into that scene was squandered. The anticipation watching the scene... I'm all nervous for these characters. That should have been the culmination of that scene, an emotional punch in the gut to send you off. But 6 months from now, ehh. "Oh Walking Dead's back on next week? Huh, cool. Wonder who ends up dying." Shrug.
Old 04-04-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting ending. Lots of tension there when the whistling started. Overall, I think that was their strongest season since the first. I'll definitely be back next year.
Old 04-04-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I can't wait to read these threads when the show comes back and everyone will be "shocked" to see it was Aaron...They may "say" they don't know who it is yet but they could not have telegraphed it being him any better unless they had a red arrow pointing to him and a sign on his back saying he is getting it. OR a red shirt.
That would be like Maggie shooting Mr.Burns ... wait a minute.

I really wouldn't put it past them but I doubt it.

If we look at this episode thematically we notice it opens with a POV shot, which it returns to a few times throughout. The POV shot is one of the survivors that Dwight caught. That means that the one most likely killed at the end was either Glenn, Daryl, Michonne, or Rosita. The title, "Last Day on Earth" shows their perspective of their last day.

My guess:

Spoiler:
We have to keep in mind Neegan likes to keep women, not kill them. That is why Daryl ran into those women running away earlier in the season. That eliminates Michonne and Rosita. I think Glenn died. The actor was working on a one year contract for S6, his death was teased all season, it won't upset the fan base as much as Daryl would, and the cleaned up audio also heavily suggests it's Glenn.
Old 04-04-16, 02:42 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
My guess:

Spoiler:
We have to keep in mind Neegan likes to keep women, not kill them. That is why Daryl ran into those women running away earlier in the season. That eliminates Michonne and Rosita. I think Glenn died. The actor was working on a one year contract for S6, his death was teased all season, it won't upset the fan base as much as Daryl would, and the cleaned up audio also heavily suggests it's Glenn.
That would be my hope after the trickery they attempted with him earlier this season
Spoiler:
and the fact that he's the one who meets his end via Lucille in the comics.

I wonder how they make the decisions on how/when they deviate from the comics.
Spoiler:
If this were just like them we'd have one armed Rick sleeping with Andrea, Glen would have gotten the bat, Carol would have been dead for a while, Sophia is still around and that's just for starters.
I just hope it's not Aaron as that would be a big letdown.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.