Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

Old 04-04-16, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

Everyone is talking about the overblown ending and a guessing game teaser, but pretty much all of this sucked. A bunch of character who can't seem to remember what they've learned in years they've been on the road. For the last two episodes they've been running off like the Three Stooges in every which direction. At least you'd hope they'd realize it's better to stick together.
Old 04-04-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E16) -- 90 Minute Finale -- "Last Day on Earth" -- 4/3/16

It makes no sense that the Saviors wouldn't just kill all of them. They have enough people working for them that they don't need to keep around a dozen people who have a bunch of weapons and the guts/skills to fight back. The risk/reward ratio is just way too far off to do anything but kill them all.

Aaron coming along has to be a red herring. Even though this show a bunch of times has teased major deaths and ended up killing only minor characters, it would be so ridiculous to do it here.

Ending the episode on a cliffhanger was predictable but still completely dumb. They build up a lot of tension and then completely waste it. The showrunners probably think that having a cliffhanger makes them brilliant, but it was completely the wrong choice here. Ending the season with a major character dying would have a far greater effect than ending it this way.
Old 04-04-16, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was ok. A really tense episode.

I mean, yeah, it sucks that there was a cliffhanger but that was expected in this show.

No bets here, but I think it may be a "minor" character.
Old 04-04-16, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Sepinwall is done with the show.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...id-cliffhanger
Old 04-04-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Anyway, I found it hard to believe the Saviors were able to set up road blocks basically trapping the group & anticipated their every move to know exactly where they would end up.
It appeared to be a different group each time (except for the first group repeating at the wood pile), cutting off all known roads to the hilltop.
Old 04-04-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sracer
given the whole "glenn, is he or isn't he dead" ploy this season, i don't think we'll know who gets lucille'd by the end of the episode.
bingo!
Old 04-04-16, 12:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree it would have been better to see who got lucilled. Because that scene won't hold the same weight after 7 months.

My main complaint with this episode? JDM needed to bulk up more. He just wasn't very physically imposing as Negan. Looked pretty skinny/puny actually.
Old 04-04-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sure, they wanted to get help for Maggie but the group should've headed back to Alexandria as soon as they realized they were outnumbered. One roadblock is a coincidence but two would make me wary of a trap at Hilltop. I can't believe Rick would lead Carl into more traps, even for Maggie.

I was waiting for an arrow to interrupt Negan mid-speech.

I await the next season starting with episodes solely about Morgan and Carol making us wait for the back half to find out who meets Lucille.
Old 04-04-16, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Negan talks way too much. I was waiting for him to break out in song.
or take an arrow to the skull
Old 04-04-16, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It makes no sense that the Saviors wouldn't just kill all of them. They have enough people working for them that they don't need to keep around a dozen people who have a bunch of weapons and the guts/skills to fight back. The risk/reward ratio is just way too far off to do anything but kill them all.
This is following the comics pretty closely in that regard. Negan is a tactical genius, and they actually did a good job of showing that in this episode. He pretty much bottle necked them right where he wanted them to go.

He is also smart enough to keep them alive so they can be the ones going out and doing the leg work for him, minimizing his own risk.
Old 04-04-16, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I agree it would have been better to see who got lucilled. Because that scene won't hold the same weight after 7 months.

My main complaint with this episode? JDM needed to bulk up more. He just wasn't very physically imposing as Negan. Looked pretty skinny/puny actually.
Agree with both. Don't understand why JDM didn't get back to the shape he had when he played the Comedian on Watchmen. His version of Negan looked too skinny while the comic book one resembles Henry Rollins.
Old 04-04-16, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
This is following the comics pretty closely in that regard. Negan is a tactical genius, and they actually did a good job of showing that in this episode. He pretty much bottle necked them right where he wanted them to go.

He is also smart enough to keep them alive so they can be the ones going out and doing the leg work for him, minimizing his own risk.
Again, risk/reward is off the charts in the wrong direction. Rick and friends have already killed 50ish Saviors, which included storming and taking a fortified outpost without any casualties. A tactical genius wouldn't keep them alive.
Old 04-04-16, 01:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It appeared to be a different group each time (except for the first group repeating at the wood pile), cutting off all known roads to the hilltop.
I know it wasn't the same group they ran into in every roadblock. Just seemed like a stretch how The Saviors anticipated their every move right down to where they wound up on foot at the end.
Old 04-04-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Of the people the Saviors captured we know it's not going to be Rick or Carl. Not only because they're Rick and Carl, but because Negan said "if anyone moves rip out the boys other eye and feed it to his father." So obviously it can't be either of them.
Wow, great detective work Sherlock! Everyone definitely missed that very clearly spoken line.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Oh please. Sepinwall will be back and watching, since that's his goddamn job. I can't imagine him telling his bosses that he, the site's TV critic, will stop watching the most popular show on television because he doesn't like how this season ended.

Puny? Skinny? Jeffrey Dean Morgan is 6'2" and well over 200 lbs.

Well like others have said, the season finale ending this way was all but certain...and it was the wrong decision. It was a really tense episode until the end.

FWIW, I think it's either Abraham or Daryl.
Old 04-04-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm thinking Aaron, too. Seems like the only reason for him to tag along in the RV was to act as a goat.

With him and Denise dead, that means gay is the new black.
Lol... I'm assuming his partner got it earlier this season? (missed that) Yeah, you can't get too attached to many characters...
Old 04-04-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Just another random comment, but when that guy was pushed off the bridge to hang, it should have snapped his neck instantly. Hell, at the distance he free fell it may have even decapitated him. But him struggling and choking to death instead was pretty silly.
Old 04-04-16, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

That was an intense final 30 minutes. Andrew Lincoln really looked terrified. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was fantastic. He really felt menacing.

But yeah waiting 6 months for an answer is bullshit. A bunch of pissed off TWD viewers on their Facebook page and on other entertainment news pages.

The actors don't go back to work until July. It's got to be really hard for them to do a pick up on that final scene and have the same emotional impact. I don't know if they can do a pick up on that scene for the premiere in 6 months where it would have the same kind of tension. Too after the fact now.

Seeing one of the characters get his or her brains bashed would have left a much more emotional impact going into the summer. Cheap cliffhanger.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-04-16 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 02:00 AM

I normally watch new episodes twice when they air but the season finale dragged on and on. Did it break the record the longest amount of time before the first zombie kill?
Old 04-04-16, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

6 months from now it's going to be "just hurry up and kill them already so we can finally get into this new season instead of waiting on this crap they should have finished up last season to be over"

*and yeah, there was no need for this episode to have been 90 min. Way to much pointless padding *driving, roadblock, driving roadblock, driving, road block; searching for Carol, found her, searching for Carol, found her*
Old 04-04-16, 02:45 AM

AMC's font change was terrifying.
Old 04-04-16, 03:47 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Oh please. Sepinwall will be back and watching, since that's his goddamn job. I can't imagine him telling his bosses that he, the site's TV critic, will stop watching the most popular show on television because he doesn't like how this season ended.
I don't think anyone at HitFix tells Sepinwall to watch anything he doesn't want to
Old 04-04-16, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
they should have finished up last season
yeah I missed the last couple of eps leading up to this one and I really expected to come in kind of lost. After all it's been a few eps since they took over that compound, clearly the story will have move........... oh wait, never mind.

I can understand shows doing cliff hangers, being that's "just what you do" when a show ends a season. Yet I think the fall out from who got killed and a debate over what they do next would of worked just as well.

Mostly I just dislike the cop out cliffhanger of maybe this or that person died. If you're going to go for a cliffhanger at least make it interesting or different. Like Alias went down hill fast but the show did some really good season to season cliff hangers along the way.
Old 04-04-16, 05:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

It's a moment tailor made to end in a cliffhanger. I don't begrudge the writers one bit for doing what they did. All the bitch babies who "are done with the show", then just fucking be done. NOBODY CARES IF YOU WATCH. NOBODY CARES IF YOU LEAVE.

JDM is awesome.
Old 04-04-16, 05:54 AM

I was annoyed enough with the Carol story which I find to be just horrible, then the cheap .50 cliffhanger happened and now I am in a really bad mood. This season started so well, but ended pretty horribly as the last couple of episodes weren't that great to be honest Ugh.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan was great casting though. Shame they mucked things at the end. I am tired of this show forcing cliffhangers where there is no need for them.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-04-16 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not enough RVs backing up slowly in this episode.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.