Reload this Page >

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - 3/18/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - 3/18/16

Old 03-21-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - 3/18/16

Finished it tonight. Thought it was absolutely amazing.

Thoughts:

Spoiler:
Loved the tease near the end where we see that Atlas Investigations is now right across the hall from the Murdoch's firm.

REALLY Looking forward to that Punisher series.

On the Blacksmith ... yes it's heavily implied to be the the colonel, but maybe not confirmed. He had his old army buddy shooting the town up. I recognized the guy from the docks as soon as Karen looked at the picture on the wall. Clearly there is more to Frank's backstory.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 03-21-16 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-21-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Ep 9:

Spoiler:
Frank's fight scene in cell block A. Sonofabitch. Was that a hatchet?
Old 03-21-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

8 episodes in, 5 to go. (I don't know where you guys get the time to finish all 13)

I certainly like it overall, just a couple things niggle at me.

Both Daredevil and Elektra can kick so much more ass in the comics, especially Elektra. I don't know why she's been neutered for this series (or is it spayed?). Probably because there would be less tension if she was as kick-ass as she's supposed to be. But then they could draw drama out of her being kinda scary. Either way, it's a let down that she's not as capable as she's supposed to be.

Anyways, that's not as big a deal as this - don't these people have fucking cell phones? Seriously! Half the shit that happens can be solved by just calling or picking up a cell. And Manhattan has some of the best cellular service in the world! Again, I know this cuts down on drama. I've heard screenwriters bitch about having to write modern day stories where cellphones have to be taken into consideration, but they fucking do it. This show just ignores that they're a thing everyone has, until it's convenient. Anyways, it's lame and lazy.

Otherwise, good show!
Old 03-21-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone figure out ....
Spoiler:

Why The Hand dug and protected a 40 story hole inside that building?
Old 03-21-16, 05:22 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Did anyone figure out ....
Spoiler:

Why The Hand dug and protected a 40 story hole inside that building?
That was the gaping plot hole of this series... literally.

Just waiting for "This is Sparta" animated GIFs of that scene.
Old 03-21-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Wanted

Spoiler:

- More Punisher, especially when he put the skull on.

- More connections to the MCU. Why the hell do we never see Stark Tower in the NYC skyline? Seems like they wanted to connect the show more to Jessica Jones.

- More Elektra. Once she came on scene, I didn't give two shits about Karen Page.

- More episodes. 16... give us 16 episodes next time.

Old 03-21-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Some non-spoilery comments.
I'm six episodes in and enjoying the series but I have two minor complaints. While I like Charlie Cox in the role, the whole artfully manicured 5 O'clock shadow thing just drives me nuts (and not just on this show).
Also, the show is shot so freaking dark. Occasionally it looks great, with some nice contrasts, but during the bulk of the fight scenes, I have to strain to make out details (and I have a hi-end, -though about 5 years old - large-screen display).

Last edited by DWilson; 03-21-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-21-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, yeah, the other thing that drove me nuts is how aggressively dark it is. Not thematically, but aesthetically. I get that Matt is blind, but even daytime scenes outdoors are dark. And night time? Forget about it - I can't see shit!
Old 03-21-16, 10:07 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

i don't binge watch often so didn't notice how much time was passing on the show. like, it starts with "holy heatwave! 100+ degrees at night!" to "you're standing up here [on the roof] freezing your ass off" and ends at christmas eve.
Old 03-21-16, 12:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ended up raising the brightness level on my tv just to see.
Old 03-21-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Oh, yeah, the other thing that drove me nuts is how aggressively dark it is. Not thematically, but aesthetically. I get that Matt is blind, but even daytime scenes outdoors are dark. And night time? Forget about it - I can't see shit!
Daredevil was purposefully filmed with OLED's contrast capabilities in mind.
Old 03-21-16, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh. I didn't have a hard time watching the fighting.

I liked this this stairwell scene but, as someone had mentioned, I kind of feel like it was trying to be on par w/ the Hallway one in S1.

I actually thought the best fights were w/ Frank. Jesus. Those were brutal.
Old 03-21-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I was impressed with the stairwell scene, but the cuts seems much more obvious than the hallway fight in season 1. Still very cool.
Old 03-21-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't have any major issues following the fight scenes or the darkness.
Old 03-21-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Daredevil was purposefully filmed with OLED's contrast capabilities in mind.
Netflix needs to get with the game and put the proper "This series is not compatible with your Television" messages up.

man that'd suck
Old 03-21-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Same here.
Old 03-21-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It depends on your display. A friend of mine just got a new set and keeps it in "Torch Mode" (display room bright), so he has no problem either. By the same token, there are some things that play better on the Standard Def satellite feed my mother gets on her 35" display than on my much better 60" HD display.
Old 03-21-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I haven't had any problems with my 32 inch Sony Bravia that is like 5 years old. Seems lit up enough to me.
Old 03-21-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My 50-inch plasma is very well calibrated, and I don't want to mess with it's settings. I'm watching the SD feed. I guess that's what you get when your TV has really deep, natural blacks...

Though it's fine if I'm watching at night, with no natural light seeping through the windows.
Old 03-21-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
It depends on your display. A friend of mine just got a new set and keeps it in "Torch Mode" (display room bright), so he has no problem either. By the same token, there are some things that play better on the Standard Def satellite feed my mother gets on her 35" display than on my much better 60" HD display.
I blame everyone else's set ups but my own!
Old 03-21-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kstublen
Finished it today and loved it. These Marvel Netflix seasons just continue to hit it out of the park. Here are just some general thoughts regarding the overall season so if you haven't finished probably best not to read on.

Spoiler:
I was a little disappointed that Frank didn't get into an epic shootout in the end to assist Matt since that's where it seemed to be heading, but I think they probably wanted to focus more on Matt taking down the Hand than Frank to close out the season. So while I felt a little shortchanged seeing him find the arsenal and don the traditional skull costume, I think it was more to set him up for his own upcoming series.

Fairly obvious that Elektra was going to be resurrected given what we know about the Hand. I'm looking forward to seeing where that storyline goes since it felt a little incomplete with how important the Black Sky was and the harvesting of the blood.

I hadn't been following as much of the production of this season as I did the first, so it was nice to see Fisk and Stick return.

I was able to buy the transition of Page to working for the newspaper, but I think she shot up in the ranks a little too quickly. I liked the idea of her getting Ben's old office, but she just seems to new to the paper to get her own office so quickly.

I really liked that they brought in Carrie-Ann Moss as the one who would be hiring Foggy.

Nobu didn't feel as threatening this season, but that could also just be because of how Matt has progressed in his role as Daredevil. I loved Stick killing him once and for all in the end though.

The fight choreography in this show continues to impress me. The punches, kicks, and hits all feel real and painful for the characters. It's just a lot of fun to watch the fight scenes.

The best thing about this season for me though was the introduction of Frank Castle. Bernthal was perfect as the Punisher and I think this is the best live-action incarnation we've ever gotten of the character. He was tormented and flawed, but at the same time stuck to his moral code throughout. He's a tragic character and Bernthal really sold the depth that's behind Frank Castle. And of course he was incredibly bad-ass, brutal, and unforgiving which is exactly what the character should be. Can't wait to see the inevitable Punisher series.

A lot of good points.

Spoiler:
I was really disappointed with the final showdown with the Hand on the rooftop. I actually went back and counted and they showed at least 40 ninjas rushing to the rooftop, but when they came out there were 20 or fewer waiting, plus another 4 came up behind them with Nobu. The final fight was mostly DD and Nobu trading blows while Electra thinned out the ranks in the background as a dozen ninjas stood around waiting their turn. It certainly didn't feel any more epic or against overwhelming odds than earlier fights in the season.

On and this bugged me about DD's fighting the Hand soldiers
Spoiler:
The whole he can't detect them because he can't hear their heartbeat thing. OK, he can't hear their heartbeats, but he can hear their "weapons" but not if their weapon is their hands/feet. I get their ninjas, but he detects completely inanimate objects all the time, things that literally make no noise at all.

And the breath thing came across as so dumb. So these guys either have no heartbeats, but still need to breath...or they are so well trained they can stop their hearts while having full out fights with DD, but they can't hold their breath. And the fact that DD couldn't hear them breath until he was told to makes no sense either.

Also seems odd that Stick trained DD to fight, to prepare him for war against the Hand, by teaching him methods that work great against everyone but Hand soldiers. I guess maybe the whole no heartbeat thing is a new method they developed because Stick is blind as well?

Old 03-22-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I have company over so I had stop a bit but started up again. I just finished watching episode 11.

Who would have thought that I would see a hallway fight that rivaled the Oldboy fight? That was epic. If you've seen it past episode 9 then you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-22-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
My 50-inch plasma is very well calibrated, and I don't want to mess with it's settings. I'm watching the SD feed. I guess that's what you get when your TV has really deep, natural blacks...

Though it's fine if I'm watching at night, with no natural light seeping through the windows.

huh? How & why are you watching a Standard definition feed of Daredevil? Unless your internet connection sucks, doesn't Netflix automatically calibrate to an HD feed?
Old 03-22-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
huh? How & why are you watching a Standard definition feed of Daredevil? Unless your internet connection sucks, doesn't Netflix automatically calibrate to an HD feed?
It's upscaled and looks fine and it doesn't need to buffer.

Originally Posted by wmansir

On and this bugged me about DD's fighting the Hand soldiers
Spoiler:
The whole he can't detect them because he can't hear their heartbeat thing. OK, he can't hear their heartbeats, but he can hear their "weapons" but not if their weapon is their hands/feet. I get their ninjas, but he detects completely inanimate objects all the time, things that literally make no noise at all.

And the breath thing came across as so dumb. So these guys either have no heartbeats, but still need to breath...or they are so well trained they can stop their hearts while having full out fights with DD, but they can't hold their breath. And the fact that DD couldn't hear them breath until he was told to makes no sense either.

Also seems odd that Stick trained DD to fight, to prepare him for war against the Hand, by teaching him methods that work great against everyone but Hand soldiers. I guess maybe the whole no heartbeat thing is a new method they developed because Stick is blind as well?

Yeah, came here to complain about that as well. So dumb.
Old 03-22-16, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally finished it, and while it wasn't perfect - it was still very good.

The casting of Bernthal and Yung was perfect.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.