Reload this Page >

An All Star Tribute to James Burrows 2/21/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-21-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0AFw2gwrjzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-21-16, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: An All Star Tribute to James Burrows 2/21/16

George Wendt looks like he lost some weight.
Old 02-21-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

oh, Shelly Long.......
Old 02-21-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
oh, Shelly Long.......
She looked like someone's grandma trying to be hip
Old 02-21-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

I get why NBC would want to make such a big deal out of Friends and be able to promote a "reunion," but Burrows directed just 15 episodes of Friends.
Old 02-22-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

This was one of the most poorly produced shows I have ever seen. First, the writing was abysmal. Starting with the intro. Jim Parsons calling Sean Hayes. And then Sean calling various people Burrows directed. Just painfully unfunny. The interviews and editing of the entire show felt clunky and awkward. Andy Cohen or Jane Lynch would ask a certain cast member what their favorite scene was, that actor would say what it was, they would show that clip, and then the camera cut to various people in the audience laughing hysterically. What were they laughing at? THEY didn't see those clips. Only the people at home did. They added those scenes in later after the show was filmed. Unless you want us to believe the producers had those clips on stand by. And they're mind readers. I know Kelsey Grammer was on Broadway, and couldn't be there for both "Fraiser" and "Cheers", but why wasn't Woody Harrelson there? That clip at the beginning of the show (also not funny) wasn't a excuse for his absence. But the biggest person M.I.A. was Kirstie Alley. She was on "Cheers" longer than Shelley Long! And last, Debra Messing couldn't be there because of why? She couldn't tear herself away from "The Mysteries of Laura"!?
Old 02-22-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
This was one of the most poorly produced shows I have ever seen. First, the writing was abysmal. Starting with the intro. Jim Parsons calling Sean Hayes. And then Sean calling various people Burrows directed. Just painfully unfunny. The interviews and editing of the entire show felt clunky and awkward. Andy Cohen or Jane Lynch would ask a certain cast member what their favorite scene was, that actor would say what it was, they would show that clip, and then the camera cut to various people in the audience laughing hysterically. What were they laughing at? THEY didn't see those clips. Only the people at home did. They added those scenes in later after the show was filmed. Unless you want us to believe the producers had those clips on stand by. And they're mind readers. I know Kelsey Grammer was on Broadway, and couldn't be there for both "Fraiser" and "Cheers", but why wasn't Woody Harrelson there? That clip at the beginning of the show (also not funny) wasn't a excuse for his absence. But the biggest person M.I.A. was Kirstie Alley. She was on "Cheers" longer than Shelley Long! And last, Debra Messing couldn't be there because of why? She couldn't tear herself away from "The Mysteries of Laura"!?
Your post reminds me of Jim Carrey's speech at one of the MTV Movie Awards shows, where he pointed out that the whole thing was just something MTV made up for ratings. And that the way MTV got the celebrities to show up was with the threat that if they did not, the celebrities would just look like ungrateful assholes.

This was a TV show that NBC put on to promote their new sitcom "Crowded."

I think all the cast members of "Taxi" and "Cheers" and "Will and Grace" have the greatest respect and affection for Burrows, but I don't fault anyone for being too busy or too far away to show up and dance to NBC's tune.

In all honesty, I think Harrelson or Alley or Messing would have been justified in showing up and walking out when they let the cast of "Big Bang" take the stage. Burrows directed the pilot of TBBT. That's it. And I already posted about how little involvement he had in "Friends."
Old 02-22-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7c4PDvBVoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to two minutes in.
Old 02-22-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Sounds like this was as much of a home run as Disneyland 60 was last night as well. Come celebrate 60 years of Disneyland!*

*two minutes of celebrating and one hour and fifty eight minutes of pimping the latest movies due out this year.
Old 02-22-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Which Springsteen sitcom did Burrows direct?
Old 02-23-16, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I enjoyed the Friends and Taxi segments, but that was about it. I agree this was poorly produced.

I hit the fast forward button through all of Big Big Theory and Mike & Molly.
Old 02-24-16, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I agree with this. Horribly painful production. If I was producing it, I would've had Jim Carrey crash the Taxi segment as Andy Kaufman then Bob Zmuda show up as Tony Clifton.
Old 02-24-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Which Springsteen sitcom did Burrows direct?
Yeah, I was scratching my head over his appearance.
Old 02-24-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

A tribute to one of Hollywood's funniest directors wasn't very funny. Irony.