Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anybody else watch Antenna TV? It's got Carson episodes every night.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does anybody else watch Antenna TV? It's got Carson episodes every night.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Does anybody else watch Antenna TV? It's got Carson episodes every night.

They're a little worse in that they snip snip every syndicated episode. I haven't even seen a lot of the original shows but I can tell when they cut to commercial at a weird time.

Even FX was a lot like this back in 1995-1997. They had a few small original shows (including an antiquing show I watched a lot), but also aired 60's Batman everyday, Green Hornet, etc. A lot of networks do that when starting out and if they can't afford original shit, but I guess since it's Antenna's actual goal, they should stick to the current schedule.

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-22-16 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently on YouTube I was watching some of Carsons Art Fern movies with Carol Wayne, and his blazing fast rapid fire patter semed like it went on for 10 minutes or more. I remember liking these bits for Wayne, but never realized until now how amazing a feat it was for Johnny to spit out joke after joke after joke.
Old 02-23-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I always remembered liking Charles Grodin's appearances but he's been the best guest on a regular basis in these Antenna TV episodes. His hostility with Carson works surprisingly well because no one else ever challenged Johnny himself on the show.
Old 02-24-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Watched Eddie Murphy on here the other night and it was pretty funny, Eddie in his prime.

That said, I continue to marvel at how different that time in TV was. Eddie came on with NO talking points. Johnny just winged the interview, changing from one subject to another, asking questions, getting Eddie's thoughts. It was WAY more insightful than most of today's talk show interviews. But there was also a lot less fanfare, which probably wouldn't "make it" in today's flashy TV age.
Old 02-24-16, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
On Sunday's Carson show from The '70s, stand-up comic Korean Johnny Yune got the lead position; now he'd be the lead question in a trivia contest, but Yune was popular for a while, and his (very deadpan) routine was to compare his Korean upbringing to the current American life-style. He even attempted a movie in the early '80s called "They Call Me Bruce?" Carson must have been impressed with Yune, as he got to do his stand-up, got to do a sit-down session, and got to go back out and sing an Italian song. Charleton Heston was the second guest. A young Blair Brown was on promoting "Altered States" (she got to talk a lot about her life because Johnny was always entranced by pretty young actresses), and then an old comedy writer/author named Jack Douglas ( worked on "Laugh-In") got the final half-hour.
Yune got as much time as he did because Heston hadn't made it to the set yet, and Yune was asked to fill. That's also why Heston looks as disheveled as he did, because he had literally JUST gotten there.
Old 02-24-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesBrian
Recently on YouTube I was watching some of Carsons Art Fern movies with Carol Wayne, and his blazing fast rapid fire patter semed like it went on for 10 minutes or more. I remember liking these bits for Wayne, but never realized until now how amazing a feat it was for Johnny to spit out joke after joke after joke.
It was also funny whenever she would do an inside joke about her chest during the sketch, "These melons are for sale!". And Carson would smirk and say something like, " I bet they are!"
Old 02-24-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Watched Eddie Murphy on here the other night and it was pretty funny, Eddie in his prime.

That said, I continue to marvel at how different that time in TV was. Eddie came on with NO talking points. Johnny just winged the interview, changing from one subject to another, asking questions, getting Eddie's thoughts. It was WAY more insightful than most of today's talk show interviews. But there was also a lot less fanfare, which probably wouldn't "make it" in today's flashy TV age.
It makes current talk show interviews look very, very scripted and stale in comparison. Watching Colbert, it's patently obvious the guest has an anecdote and funny quip ready to go that was already written before the show.
Old 03-02-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Watching an old Carson from 1973 and he had Joe Namath on and a pretty actress Elke Sommer. In the middle of the interview Namath starts ignoring Carson and starts flirting with her as she was sitting next him on the couch. Carson just let it go as he knew it was a funny moment. What made it more funny as she talked about her husband being jealous in the previous segment and then you have Namath hitting on her.
Old 04-04-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

John Candy is on tonight, Siskel and Ebert are on later in the week.
Old 04-04-16, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
John Candy is on tonight, Siskel and Ebert are on later in the week.
A show from 1991, Maureen O'Hara and Jim Valvano are the other guests. Yikes, everybody's deceased.
Old 04-04-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is kind of sad to realize most of the people in these episodes have passed away.

I remember liking the Joan Embery segments with animals but they've shown too many of them this year. I've grown tired of them from these replays.
Old 04-19-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm going to set my DVR for this Saturday Night (April 23rd), as they are showing a Johnny Carson episode from October 2, 1973 and take a look at this guest lineup:

Buddy Hackett
Dean Martin
Burt Reynolds
Don Rickles
Carol Wayne

This probably went down as one of his funniest shows.
Old 04-19-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rickles has been great in every appearance I've seen in these replays.
Old 04-19-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I'm going to set my DVR for this Saturday Night (April 23rd), as they are showing a Johnny Carson episode from October 2, 1973 and take a look at this guest lineup:

Buddy Hackett
Dean Martin
Burt Reynolds
Don Rickles
Carol Wayne

This probably went down as one of his funniest shows.
I check out the guest lists every week or so, and when I saw that line-up I had to set it to record.
Old 04-26-16, 11:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Rickles has been great in every appearance I've seen in these replays.
Holy shit Rickles killed it, as he just takes control the interview. Making fun of Burt Reynolds for dating Dinah Shore, making fun of Johnny Carson for being a millionaire, making fun of Ed McMahon for sitting on the end of the couch and doing nothing.

And Carol Wayne is fricking hot! She plays such a funny ditz to Johnny on that bit and even in the interview too. The interview with her was one big innuendo about her big chest. Carson asked if she knew Burt Reynolds and she said, "No, but I'm friends with his ex-wife!" You would never see that type of exchange today because publicists would not allow anything brought up like that in an interview to make these 'A' list stars look bad.
Old 04-26-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coli
Holy shit Rickles killed it, as he just takes control the interview. Making fun of Burt Reynolds for dating Dinah Shore, making fun of Johnny Carson for being a millionaire, making fun of Ed McMahon for sitting on the end of the couch and doing nothing.

And Carol Wayne is fricking hot! She plays such a funny ditz to Johnny on that bit and even in the interview too. The interview with her was one big innuendo about her big chest. Carson asked if she knew Burt Reynolds and she said, "No, but I'm friends with his ex-wife!" You would never see that type of exchange today because publicists would not allow anything brought up like that in an interview to make these 'A' list stars look bad.
and sad that Carol Wayne was musing about eventually getting old, and she didn't.
Great episode, though it's a bit of an old man's trivia contest when it comes to the then-current references, like Euell Gibbons and actor George Montgomery (I remembered the commercials).
Old 04-27-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, it was a fantastic episode, one of the best they've shown all year. The banter between Dean Martin and Johnny was hilarious. Even Buddy Hackett, whom I don't particularly enjoy, was funny.

It was such a different world back then for stars and guests. Johnny let the guests do their thing without trying to steer them into what he wanted to discuss.

It is episodes like this one that remind me modern talk shows are terribly predictable and stale affairs.
Old 04-27-16, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
and sad that Carol Wayne was musing about eventually getting old, and she didn't.
I'd never heard of Carol Wayne, but went and looked her up. Almost seems like a Natalie Wood situation with both dying a mysterious death with possible foul play involved.

Saw that Carol Wayne died at age 42 in 1985, and the circumstances surrounding her death still haven't really been resolved.
Old 04-27-16, 01:41 PM

I'm tempted to watch Burns and Allen but I plenty of TV viewing as it is.
Old 04-28-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interestingly enough, there's a "Carson" episode next week, -I think May 4th, -that features an 80's appearance by Burt Reynolds, but this time It's Teresa Ganzel as the "Tea Time Movie Lady", doing her best to fill Carol Wayne's, um, shoes.
If you follow recent films, there's also an appearance by the real-life "Eddie The Eagle".
Old 04-28-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yep, it was a fantastic episode, one of the best they've shown all year. The banter between Dean Martin and Johnny was hilarious. Even Buddy Hackett, whom I don't particularly enjoy, was funny.

It was such a different world back then for stars and guests. Johnny let the guests do their thing without trying to steer them into what he wanted to discuss.

It is episodes like this one that remind me modern talk shows are terribly predictable and stale affairs.
Very true. I grew up watching Carson and I pretty much left the late night talk show scene when he retired. Today's talk shows can't even come close to Carson's run on the Tonight Show.
Old 05-21-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

24 Years ago today, May 21st, 1992, Johnny Carson delivered his last Monologue on the now legendary penultimate Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
Old 05-22-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The person scheduling these episodes loves, and I mean loves, Susan Sarandon. We've gotten just about every appearance she ever made on the Tonight Show this year. Her appearances haven't been all that great.

They keep scheduling guests that still have some name cache in 2016 like Seinfeld but I would like to see more classic Hollywood guests. More Bob Hope, less Ray Romano, please.
Old 05-23-16, 12:51 AM

A Sarandon appearance from 1978 is scheduled to air Saturday the 28th.
Old 05-24-16, 08:17 PM

Any way to find out how this is doing in the ratings? Is it likely to stay on for the rest of the calendar year? I can barely tolerate the current crop of late-night hosts. No doubt about it, Johnny was the King!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.