Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Horace and Pete -- Created by Louis C.K.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 03:52 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Hello friend guy lady or other,

Some of you are aware that, last Saturday, I launched a new series on my site louisck.net called “Horace and Pete”. I’m writing now to tell you some stuff about it….

Horace and Pete is a new show that I am producing, directing, writing, distributing and financing on my own. I have an amazing cast: Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda, Jessica Lange, Aidy Bryant, Steven Wright, Kurt Metzger and other guest stars. Also Paul Simon wrote and performed the theme song which is beautiful.

The response to episode one has been great so far and there are more coming. We are making them now and having a lot of fun doing it.

Part of the idea behind launching it on the site was to create a show in a new way and to provide it to you directly and immediately, without the usual promotion, banner ads, billboards and clips that tell you what the show feels and looks like before you get to see it for yourself. As a writer, there’s always a weird feeing that as you unfold the story and reveal the characters and the tone, you always know that the audience will never get the benefit of seeing it the way you wrote it because they always know so much before they watch it. And as a TV watcher I’m always delighted when I can see a thing without knowing anything about it because of the promotion. So making this show and just posting it out of the blue gave me the rare opportunity to give you that experience of discovery.

Also because we are shooting this show in a multi-camera format with an emphasis on a live feeling, we are able to post it very soon after each episode is shot. So I’m making this show as you’re watching it.

Okay so let’s talk for a minute about the five dollars of it all. If you’re on this email list then you’re probably aware that I always make an effort to make the work I do on my own as cheap as possible and as painless as possible to get. That’s why my specials are five dollars and that’s why I sold tickets to my last big tour here on the site, with our own ticketing service at a flat price with no ticket charges and we have worked hard to keep my tickets out of the hands of scalpers.

So why the dirty fuckballs did I charge you five dollars for Horace and Pete, where most TV shows you buy online are 3 dollars or less? Well, the dirty unmovable fact is that this show is fucking expensive.

The standup specials are much more containable. It’s one guy on a stage in a theater and in most cases, the cost of the tickets that the live audience paid, was enough to finance the filming.

But Horace and Pete is a full on TV production with four broadcast cameras, two beautiful sets and a state of the art control room and a very talented and skilled crew and a hall-of-fame cast. Every second the cameras are rolling, money is shooting out of my asshole like your mother’s worst diarrhea. (Yes there are less upsetting metaphors I could be using but I just think that one is the sharpest and most concise). Basically this is a hand-made, one guy paid for it version of a thing that is usually made by a giant corporation.

Now, I’m not complaining about this at all. I’m just telling you the facts. I charged five dollars because I need to recoup some of the cost in order for us to stay in production.

Also, it’s interesting. The value of any set amount of money is mercurial (I’m showing off because i just learned that word. It means it changes and shifts a lot). Some people say “Five dollars is a cup of coffee”. Some people say “Hey! Five dollars?? What the fuck!” Some people say “What are you guys talking about?” Some people say “Nothing. don’t enter a conversation in the middle”.

Anyway, I’m leaving the first episode at 5 dollars. I'm lowering the next episode to 2 dollars and the rest will be 3 dollars after that. I hope you feel that’s fair. If you don’t, please tell everyone in the world.

Meanwhile, we’re going to keep making Horace and Pete. We’re going to keep telling you the story.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy it. I’ll write you again later and tell you more about it. It’s fun to talk about. But for now I want to shut up and not ruin the experience of you just watching the show.

Here’s the link for the website. Enjoy episode 2 of Horace and Pete. We’re shooting it now. You’ll get it on Saturday morning.

This person,

Louis C.K.
https://louisck.net/show/horace-and-pete
Old 02-04-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Horace and Pete -- Created by Louis C.K.

I subscribe to Louie's newsletter and saw this on Saturday. Didn't watch it yet but I probably will soon. I'm curious as to how many episodes are planned and if it'll be a full series or if it's just being made as a limited run type series. If it's a full series I'm curious how many episodes per season there will be. Louie has ranged between eight and twelve or thirteen episodes so I'm guessing at most that will be the length of the season.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-04-16 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Watching this right now. It's like Cheers, but more grim and realistic in terms of the people that hang in bars what they talk about. I love Louie and pretty much everything he's done, but this is an odd one so far. I'll stick with it regardless, but this is definitely one of the stranger endeavors he's done.

And damn, Alan Alda and how he talks (what he talks about) in this. It's a mixture of absurd and hilarious.
Old 03-01-16, 08:28 AM

Has anyone been keeping up with this?

I love Louis, but I am ashamed to say I haven't even checked it out yet.
Old 03-01-16, 10:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's like watching a play or a old time radio short story theater brought to life. Very talky, somewhat raw and unpolished like a live broadcast on PBS from back in the 70's. I've enjoyed it for what it is, but it might not be for everyone.
Old 03-07-16, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview
It's like watching a play or a old time radio short story theater brought to life. Very talky, somewhat raw and unpolished like a live broadcast on PBS from back in the 70's. I've enjoyed it for what it is, but it might not be for everyone.
It definitely is like watching a play. But what a kick ass cast they have. If you like Louis CK stuff, you should like this.

It's funny, but more of a drama.
Old 03-07-16, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I subscribe to Louie's newsletter and saw this on Saturday. Didn't watch it yet but I probably will soon. I'm curious as to how many episodes are planned and if it'll be a full series or if it's just being made as a limited run type series. If it's a full series I'm curious how many episodes per season there will be. Louie has ranged between eight and twelve or thirteen episodes so I'm guessing at most that will be the length of the season.
This season is six episodes. It runs about four hours, 20 minutes total.

First episode is over an hour, second one is almost an hour, third one is about 45 minutes. The final three are slightly over 30 mins each.
Old 03-07-16, 05:31 AM

It doesn't seem like he is done making the first season. Saturday's email said the latest episode is the beginning of Act 2.
Old 03-07-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been holding off in hopes of a complete season download to see if it's discounted at all (though I doubt it) and so I can just binge it all at once.

Off topic but I enjoyed his scathing critique of Trump in the last episode's email link.
Old 03-17-16, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

This show is really good, but dark as shit. It's dark, often depressing, and incredibly well written. And now I want to punch Edie Falco's character so damn much. I fucking hate her. But I'm really digging this show so far.
Old 04-02-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

More great output from Louis CK. It works like a stage play. I think the $5 per episode fee is too much for a lot of people. But I recommend you all watch it.
Old 04-02-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

More great output from Louis CK. It works like a stage play. I think the $5 per episode fee is too much for a lot of people. But I recommend you all watch it.
Only the first episode is $5. Episode 2 is $2 and every other episode is $3.
Old 04-02-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is great.

Spoiler:
Sad that Alan Alda is gone.

Any fan of the Louie TV show should pay to watch this.
Old 04-02-16, 11:20 PM
Banned by request

Holy fuck. Just watched the 10th episode. Pretty much the best thing thing I've seen in the past 10 years or so. Incredible and unbelievable, especially the ending.

And in case you buy into this, this series is a total of 10 episodes. That's it.
Old 04-03-16, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Holy fuck. Just watched the 10th episode. Pretty much the best thing thing I've seen in the past 10 years or so. Incredible and unbelievable, especially the ending.

And in case you buy into this, this series is a total of 10 episodes. That's it.
I watched the first few episodes and enjoyed it because it's Louis CK, but I got tired of paying for each one when it feels like I should be able to watch it on TV.

You have piqued my interest with your comments, but I don't know if I can make it through another 6 or 7 episodes, which are depressing and have to be paid for.
Old 04-03-16, 07:43 AM
Banned by request

I love that he bypassed television for this. Nothing feels rushed, and each story says what it needs to say. Which is evident based on their running times from 30+ minutes to 50+ (Which I think was worth it for $31 for this whole series). If you like it so far, it's more of the same. It doesn't get funnier, it doesn't get worse. But - it is depressing. And it does get worse in that respect. But I was completely invested in these people's lives and what they were going through. I think he really went all out for this and did the best stuff of his career.

I'm just hoping that the next season of Louie is funny as hell after seeing this. I hope he got sad and depressing out of his system.
Old 04-03-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Watched all ten eps. Great, sad work from CK.

With all the cable channels and then the internet, it was expected that there would be a lot more creative experimentation, but money always stood in the way.

Funny or Die was a place people could go to execute their one-off ideas for a sketch or series of short videos.

Because Louie CK was willing to spend his money on making his creative vision a reality, a real work of art was the result.

I hope this encourages more successful creators to follow suit, and not worry about financing and distribution deals, and lust make what they want to make, and put it out there.
Old 04-03-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very few people in film and TV come up with a project that is inherently low cost. Louis CK did it.

This reminded me of the episode of Louie where he pitches his idea to the female studio exec.

For anyone who hasn't paid to watch it yet - don't expect Louie. It's a filmed play, with a handful of cuts. Theater inspired. It plays like a drama and doesn't lighten up much. It's obvious that they're mostly single shots (like Louie), and they're not doing a dozen takes and picking the best one. Because of that, you feel like you're watching a play, not a TV show.

Also, it was neat how the show was filmed so recently. They take events from the past week or two and talk about them. And it's like they pulled arguments straight of of the Other and Political forum. The arguments are very real, and flawed, and feel improvised.

It was great to see a cast that I don't see much (including Tom Noonan and Steven Wright). And Wright works with Louis CK all the time on Louie.

So anyways - this is a little gem that everyone should give a chance. You should know in the first episode or two whether or not the show is for you.
Old 04-08-16, 09:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely a unique experience. It's great to see something like this actually make it out into the world. Great cast. And it was pretty cool that they used the same kid to play young Pete that played young Nucky on Boardwalk Empire.
Old 04-12-16, 10:37 AM

Louis C.K. revealed to Howard Stern on Monday that making his web series Horace and Pete has left him several million dollars in debt.

The series sprung online without notice in January and the last episode was released April 2. There are 10 total episodes available for purchase on C.K.s website. The comedy/drama series is set in a family-owned bar in Brooklyn and costs between $2 and $5 an episode.

"I'm millions of dollars in debt right now," the comedian said. “I got so excited about having the show appear from nothing. So I made the first four, and I didn’t tell nobody and it made a nice little amount of money. When I got to episode four, I was like, ‘Hey gang, I don’t have any money.’ So I had to take out a line of credit.”

C.K. said he hoped that the first four episodes of the series, starring himself and Steve Buscemi, would have made his personal investment of $2 million back. But it hasn't worked out like that, yet, he said.

Having done the least amount of promotion possible for the show beforehand, the stand-up comic said he has no choice now but to get the word out, which is why he was appearing on Stern's show and was being so candid about the situation.

“I did [Jimmy Kimmel Live] just to test out — the sales exploded,” C.K. acknowledged.

In addition to Stern's show, the comic said he was going to appear on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon among other programs and "hit hard — promote, promote, promote the show."

C.K. estimated that if he keeps promoting Horace and Pete, and the audience continues to grow as it has, the show will have "paid itself off" by the summer.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20160412
Old 04-12-16, 10:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Is the whole season/series out now? Can you buy it as a whole, or is it still per episode?
Old 04-12-16, 10:44 AM

The last episode (episode 10) was on April 2nd. He didn't release a new one on the 9th. I don't know how many he was planning on. Maybe that was it.

Here are some of the bits from the Howard Stern interview. https://soundcloud.com/howardstern

Last edited by dex14; 04-12-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, episode 10 was the final episode.
Old 04-12-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if we'll get a DVD/Blu-ray release. I'd rather not buy the episodes digitally but would like to see the series.
Old 04-12-16, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder if we'll get a DVD/Blu-ray release. I'd rather not buy the episodes digitally but would like to see the series.
Not gonna happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.