Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

Old 12-10-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Crime Story - From creators of American Horror Story - coming to FX

Cuba as OJ? Ugh.
Old 12-10-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: American Crime Story - From creators of American Horror Story - coming to FX

The OJ Simpson case?

Cool. That's something that we didn't hear a lot about at the time, so it'll be interesting to revisit it.
Old 12-10-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I think the idea for this series would be better if the stories weren't based on true cases. There are already a lot of series out there I suppose that are already in the serialized crime style and now True Detective is doing it anthology style, but I just don't think dramatizing true stories is that interesting of an idea personally.
Old 01-07-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2.../20150107fx01/

John Travolta will be starring as Robert Shapiro

David Schwimmer will be playing Robert Kardashian.

JOHN TRAVOLTA TAKES STARRING ROLE IN FX'S "AMERICAN CRIME STORY: THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON"

Award-Winning Actor and Producer to Play Attorney Robert Shapiro, a Key Member of O.J. Simpson's Defense "Dream Team," and He Will Also Serve as Producer of the 10-Part Miniseries

He Returns to Television for His First Starring Role Since Welcome Back, Kotter

LOS ANGELES, January 7, 2015 - Welcome back indeed! In his first television starring role since Welcome Back, Kotter, award-winning actor and producer John Travolta will star as defense attorney Robert Shapiro in the FX miniseries American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, from Executive Producers Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski, Brad Falchuk, and Dante Di Loreto.

The two-time Academy Award(R) nominated and Golden Globe(R) Award winning Travolta will portray Shapiro, a key member of O.J. Simpson's "Dream Team" during the sensational murder trial. He will also serve as a producer of the 10-part miniseries.

Travolta joins a stellar cast which includes David Schwimmer as O.J. Simpson's confidant and attorney Robert Kardashian, Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson, and Emmy(R) and Golden Globe Award nominated actress Sarah Paulson as prosecutor Marcia Clark, who currently stars in American Horror Story: Freak Show.

American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson is written by Golden Globe-winning producers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Big Eyes, The People v. Larry Flynt). Emmy and Golden Globe award winning producer and Emmy Award winning Director Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story, The Normal Heart) will direct the first episode. American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions. Production begins this spring in Los Angeles.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...L83kIdZ3kGy.99
Old 01-07-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think the idea for this series would be better if the stories weren't based on true cases. There are already a lot of series out there I suppose that are already in the serialized crime style and now True Detective is doing it anthology style, but I just don't think dramatizing true stories is that interesting of an idea personally.
I think dramatizing true stories tends to work ok when it comes to 2 hour movies or 2 or 3 part mini-series. There were some good made for TV movies and mini-series years ago that were based on true stories. I have to wonder how well it will work to dramatize a true crime story over 12 or 13 episodes.
Old 01-08-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Yeah, I'll pass on an OJ dramatization. From the title I was hoping for something more like LA Confidential or Ed Brubaker's Criminal.
Yea that is what I was hoping...OJ? Fuck that already lived through that shameful trial.
Old 01-08-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Yea that is what I was hoping...OJ? Fuck that already lived through that shameful trial.
Yup, a couple of millennials I just asked are unaware of the OJ trial.
Old 01-08-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shit just got real.
Old 05-21-15, 03:11 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Cuba Gooding Jr. stars as O.J. Simpson; John Travolta is set as Robert Shapiro; David Schwimmer will play Robert Kardashian; Courtney B. Vance is Johnnie Cochran; Sarah Paulson is Marcia Clark and Billy Magnussen will portray Kato Kaelin.

Old 05-21-15, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Again, you have no clue on how this is gonna be presented. I watched this shit go down in the 90's as we and I hope that they don't glorify OJ but, like I said, I think Ryan deserves the benefit of a doubt.
I'd be more interested if he wasn't involved. That said, I'll still check it out.
Old 12-02-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

1st trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J2-vm-L_dk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premieres February 2, 2016
Old 12-03-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Ahh. Seen promos for this a bunch but didn't realize it was part of this new series. Nice. Looks good, I'll be watching.
Old 01-10-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-851993

Season 2 story plans revealed. It will be about Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath.
Old 01-10-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-851993

Season 2 story plans revealed. It will be about Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath.
So season 2 will be Treme?
Old 02-02-16, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk God

American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, the latest limited series from FX, premieres on Tuesday, February 2 at 10 PM ET/PT. Based on the book The Run of His Life: The People V. O.J. Simpson by Jeffrey Toobin, the limited series is a look at the O.J. Simpson trial told from the perspective of the lawyers. It explores the chaotic behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court, and how a combination of prosecution overconfidence, defense shrewdness, and the LAPD's history with the city's African-American community gave a jury what it needed: reasonable doubt. From Executive Producers Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski and Brad Falchuk, American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson stars John Travolta, Cuba Gooding Jr., Sarah Paulson, David Schwimmer, Courtney B. Vance, Sterling Brown, Nathan Lane, Kenneth Choi, Christian Clemenson and Bruce Greenwood. The limited series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Angel Parker as Shawn Chapman
· Billy Magnussen as Kato Kaelin
· Bruce Greenwood as Gil Garcetti
· Cheryl Ladd as Linell Shapiro
· Connie Britton as Faye Resnick
· Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran
· Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson
· David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian
· Evan Handler as Alan Dershowitz
· Jake Koeppl as Ron Goldman
· John Travolta as Robert Shapiro
· Jordana Brewster as Denise Brown
· Joseph Siravo as Fred Goldman
· Keesha Sharp as Dale Cochran
· Kenneth Choi as Lance Ito
· Leonard Roberts as Dennis Schatzman
· Malcolm-Jamal Warner as Al "A.C." Cowlings
· Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey
· Rob Morrow as Barry Scheck
· Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark
· Selma Blair as Kris Jenner
· Sterling K. Brown as Christopher Darden
· Steven Pasquale as Mark Fuhrman
· Tye White as Jason Simpson

CREW INFORMATION:
· Brad Falchuk as EP
· Brad Simpson as EP
· Dante Di Loreto as EP
· Jeffrey Toobin as BOOK
· Larry Karaszewski as CRTR/EP
· Nina Jacobson as EP
· Ryan Murphy as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Scott Alexander as CRTR/EP

10 episode season. This will be an anthology series like American Horror Story. Season 2 is reportedly being developed about Hurricane Katrina.

80 minute Premiere Tuesday at 10pm ET

Promo featurette

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UTXovOaVQqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At 1st I wasn't too keen about watching this. But, after seeing some of the footage from the trailers and reading some positive reviews, I'm in.

Ken Tucker from Yahoo enjoyed what he's seen so far. 6 episodes were available for critics.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/people-v-oj...145713687.html

AV Club gave it an A-

http://www.avclub.com/review/fxs-peo...ts-ryan-231410

Alan Sepinwall gave it a glowing review.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...an-crime-story

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-16 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

I know it sounds morbid but will they show the murders?
Old 02-02-16, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

The DVR is ready
Old 02-02-16, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

I am not terribly interested in the subject matter, but the amount of talent involved is going to make me watch.
Old 02-02-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

reviews have been great, I didnt think I was going to watch, but I am going to tune in now
Old 02-02-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
reviews have been great, I didnt think I was going to watch, but I am going to tune in now
I love how when it was announced everyone here was quick to say "No way I'm wasting my time watching this! I watched the trial on TV!".
Old 02-02-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I know it sounds morbid but will they show the murders?
If I had to guess it will be handled like most TV procedurals: The murders will be initially shown from the POV of the murderer in an abstract way, and probably shown more realistically during the trial or trial prep as portrayals of what might have happened.
Old 02-02-16, 01:57 PM

Be sure to pad the DVR tonight. Episode is scheduled for 80 minutes. As a Directv subscriber, I've always had issues with the DVR cutting off extra minutes if the show is over 60 minutes long. This only seems to happen to shows on FX for some reason.
Old 02-02-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am not terribly interested in the subject matter, but the amount of talent involved is going to make me watch.
Can't wait to see Vance as Johnnie.
Old 02-02-16, 04:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

so there's "american crime" and "american crime story"? which one should i be watching? or both?
Old 02-02-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

American Crime is a little too self important to me (it's by the scribe of 12 Years a Slave), American Crime Story is the American Horror Story / Glee crew doing real life stories -- the creators are the guys that wrote Ed Wood.

I'll be disappointed if there is a lack of kinky sex on American Crime Story.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.