Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Magicians (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- From the EP of Supernatural -- 1/25/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Magicians (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- From the EP of Supernatural -- 1/25/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Magicians (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- From the EP of Supernatural -- 1/25/16

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I would not put it in GOT territory but it is a rare series that I actually am thinking of getting on Blu Ray to watch again as long as it is not bleeped. It is surprisingly deep and complex and everything has come together really really well. One of my favorite shows now.
It shouldn't be censored on Blu, although as I said before the streaming versions are and there's no legitimate reason for this, especially when you're paying extra for the service.
Old 04-10-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: The Magicians (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- From the EP of Supernatural -- 1/25/16

The first season has been surprisingly intricate in its storytelling. The producers must have gotten this depth from the novels. I really don't think I would have changed one thing how this season has unfolded, which is extremely rare for the television I follow.
Old 04-11-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Finale was phenomenal, and brought everything together so so well. Just when it think it is going to be tied up with a nice little bow, the last 10 minutes add so much depth and really open so many possibilities. And the return of one character closed the one dangling loop in an interesting and surprising way. If anything the finale raised the level of all previous episodes. I am actually buying this on Blu Ray joining Game of Thrones as the only other. Wow.
Old 04-12-16, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anything happen after Julia and Martin disappeared? Julia really is like the Butters of this show. Maybe my #2 all time Syfy show after BSG ahead of 12 Monkeys.
Old 04-12-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am profoundly speechless. That was an utterly amazing finale, possibly the best season finale I've ever seen in dramatic television history.

"Have you brought me little cakes?"

I was elated to see the entire season will hit Blu-ray in July.

This is a show that needs more exposure through a streaming service. Season one of The Magicians has been an incredible ride from beginning to end. It will be a long time before we see its like again.
Old 04-12-16, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be checking in on this thread later this week. I just started watching the show this weekend and am about halfway through the season. I thought it started off very rocky, not so much because of the script but because the direction/editing was just horrible. It's gotten better but it's still a weak spot.
Old 04-12-16, 03:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wonder if the Blu-Ray will have the swearing censored like it is on TV.
Old 04-12-16, 03:56 PM

Did anything happen after Julia and Martin disappeared? My DVR cut off.
Old 04-12-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cleaver
Did anything happen after Julia and Martin disappeared? My DVR cut off.
No. I think I remember
Spoiler:
the last scene showing the others laying in agony, with Quentin the only conscious person left before the screen went black.

One thing that was never really answered is why did the Beast keep Victoria the other traveler in his basement dungeon? The Beast was killing off other travelers.

From what I've heard, season one took plot elements from large chunks of the first and second novels in the series.
Old 04-12-16, 10:28 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

No. I think I remember
Spoiler:
the last scene showing the others laying in agony, with Quentin the only conscious person left before the screen went black.

One thing that was never really answered is why did the Beast keep Victoria the other traveler in his basement dungeon? The Beast was killing off other travelers.

From what I've heard, season one took plot elements from large chunks of the first and second novels in the series.
Seem to remember the creators saying they had 5 seasons mapped out already
Old 04-13-16, 08:56 PM
Banned

What in the absolute fuck!?!?! That was wholly shocking and amazing all at once.

The finale left me with a lot of questions:

That demon-god that Julia summoned, did it impregnate her? If so, did she give birth and was that why she was left alive?

Is everyone who confronted Martin (except for Penny) dead?

It is clear that Julia and Martin have gone off to kill the god, but where did they go? What is the price Julia will have to pay for striking a deal with Martin?

Will Penny losing his hands effect his ability to travel/spell-cast?

So many more... I'll think of them as others comment.

I'll definitely be buying this on Blu-Ray, which is a rarity for me, since I've pretty much stopped adding to my collection at this point.
Old 04-14-16, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So far we haven't seen anyone be able to perform magic without their hands on The Magicians. Penny will need robot hands or something.

That was my impression about Julia. She got impregnated by that trickster god and that power is what enabled her to touch the blade that can only be wielded by a master magician.

I did find Quentin and Alice's final attack very pathetic against the Beast. No wonder they've died 39 times in the confrontation.

Here is a very revealing interview about the finale and future plans from the showrunners:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-finale-882662

Be warned, I regret reading it as someone that hasn't read the books and wants to remain ignorant of this show's future direction as much as possible. The showrunners talk a little too freely about certain characters and where they might be headed.
Old 04-14-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

So far we haven't seen anyone be able to perform magic without their hands on The Magicians. Penny will need robot hands or something.
You're right that they need their hands to cast spells. The Dean even mentioned that he choose to heal his hands rather than his eyes so he could practice magic. Penny's teleporting abilities don't seem to require a spell; it's more like an innate ability.
Old 04-17-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am profoundly speechless. That was an utterly amazing finale, possibly the best season finale I've ever seen in dramatic television history.

"Have you brought me little cakes?"

This is a show that needs more exposure through a streaming service. Season one of The Magicians has been an incredible ride from beginning to end. It will be a long time before we see its like again.
Just finished the last 2 episodes and I couldn't agree more. This is the best thing SyFy has produced since season one of BSG. Great characters, solid acting and a well laid out story arc.

Originally Posted by Eric F
What in the absolute fuck!?!?! That was wholly shocking and amazing all at once.

The finale left me with a lot of questions:

That demon-god that Julia summoned, did it impregnate her? If so, did she give birth and was that why she was left alive?

Is everyone who confronted Martin (except for Penny) dead?

It is clear that Julia and Martin have gone off to kill the god, but where did they go? What is the price Julia will have to pay for striking a deal with Martin?

Will Penny losing his hands effect his ability to travel/spell-cast?
Probably, there would be no other reason to let her live.

Quintin is definitely alive. Elliot and Margo are probably just knocked out. Alice looks to be in the worst shape.

They have established with the Dean that getting your hands reattached is possible.

Last edited by Thrush; 04-18-16 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 02:57 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

That was one hell of an ending. I have no idea where they're going to go from here. My first thought was that maybe Quentin would find a way to send everyone back for Loop #41. But I guess that probably won't happen.

Overall, I really enjoyed the series. My only complaint was the overall tone. I was hoping for something more lighthearted and fun. Instead, the entire cast was depressed and suicidal. The only two characters I liked were Elliot & Margo, until they got all mopey halfway through.

I wish it was more like Harry Potter Book 1 & 2, and less like Harry Potter Book 6 & 7.
Old 04-19-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From what I've heard, the books aren't happy, happy fun time either.

It's always remarkable to me when I will occasionally read other sites for discussion about shows and find a wildly different reaction than what I read here. One board had a completely different reaction to the Magicians as a show and this finale in particular. Many of the comments called the season confusing with unlikable main characters. I even saw complaints about this finale, which I don't think could have been improved.
Old 04-19-16, 11:39 AM
Banned

It's always remarkable to me when I will occasionally read other sites for discussion about shows and find a wildly different reaction than what I read here. One board had a completely different reaction to the Magicians as a show and this finale in particular. Many of the comments called the season confusing with unlikable main characters. I even saw complaints about this finale, which I don't think could have been improved.
At least we have common sense (for the most) part here.
Old 04-19-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I wish it was more like Harry Potter Book 1 & 2, and less like Harry Potter Book 6 & 7.
It's probability not likely from SyFy in the near future. Since Eureka and Warehouse 13 wrapped up, SyFy has gone away from the "fun" series to more dark and gritty shows.

Most viewers are use to shows explaining everything that's going on (to various degrees of detail). It looks like this show made a conscious decision to not do that. I find it refreshing. If a show builds a world were everything is explained I expect it of that show but if a show, from the start is free form I will accept it too.
Old 04-22-16, 03:11 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

If anyone missed this show and wants to binge watch, the full season is available on the SyFy Now app on the Roku:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/86398/syfy-now
Old 04-22-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is magical.
Old 04-22-16, 10:51 AM
Banned

FYI: If you use Kodi there's a legit SyFy addon that let's you watch all their online programing commercial free. (It's not one of the "pirate" addons that Kodi is so famous for).
Old 04-22-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Blu-ray set is up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magicians-.../dp/B01BZE379K
Old 04-22-16, 02:41 PM
Banned

I like the series but it should be well
Old 04-22-16, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely loved this series. Binged the whole thing in 2 days. The last few episodes had my 100%, undivided attention, which is kind of rare for television these days. My only irritant with the show was Penny who I disliked from start to finish with some very minor opinion improvements in the middle.
Old 05-02-16, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm on the wrong forum because I didn't care for the finale, or really the series as a whole. I found the story telling to be pretty disjointed, and after reading more about the source material that makes sense. From what I gather they changed quite a bit, including quite a bit of plot compression.

I also found nearly every character unlikeable. Some are just flawed, but at least half are just straight up assholes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.