Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Disney React to Rowan Blanchard's coming out?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will Disney react to Rowan Blanchard's coming out?
Yes
0%
No
66.67%
Maybe, but only if ratings or social media demand it.
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always enjoyed Boy Meets World and have watched Girl Meets World since it premiered a couple years ago.

I typically don't watch a lot of the newer Disney shows, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia and enjoy seeing Corey, Topanga, and the kids on a weekly basis.

When I was 14, I was definitely not always articulate and would've been embarrassed discussing sexuality publicly.

Recently Rowan Blanchard has made a habit of articulately discussing issues that are important to her, including her sexuality.

http://zap2it.com/2016/01/girl-meets...t-gay-twitter/

http://www.mtv.com/news/2274099/rowa...st-revolution/

Personally, her personal life will have no impact on my desire to continue watching and enjoying the show.

At this point, I am more interested in the friendship dynamic between the kids and the relationship she has with Corey and Topanga.

I wish this show would've debuted on ABC Family instead of Disney, since it probably would've had even more freedom to discuss more mature issues.

Regardless, her announcement may allow other teens that may be struggling and/or ashamed to look at themselves in a positive way. Though, there is nothing to be ashamed about.

So, does anyone think Disney will react in any way, or that the show will be affected positively or negatively?

This is, after all, a children's show and I would not begrudge any parent from telling their children what or what not to watch on television.

As of right now, I haven't seen much reaction either way, and I'm sure Disney would prefer that one of it's more popular shows would continue as long as possible.
Old 01-19-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Will Disney React to Rowan Blanchard's coming out?

Who?
Old 01-19-16, 09:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^ This.
Old 01-19-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was going to echo the previous two posters but a quick Google later and 'ahhh, her.' She's the main character on Girl Meets World.

Does it matter in 2016? It's not going to affect the show in any way.
Old 01-19-16, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Who?
Originally Posted by trespoochies
^^ This.
^^ That.
Old 01-19-16, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was going to echo the previous two posters but a quick Google later and 'ahhh, her.' She's the main character on Girl Meets World.

Does it matter in 2016? It's not going to affect the show in any way.
Well, it's kinda ground breaking. First of all, she's a teenager in a very popular sitcom with both adults and kids. Second, she's a Disney star in a Disney sitcom. Even though Disney channel has included gay adults on their TV shows, this is the first time I remember one of their teen stars come out and be the main character on one of their TV shows. I wouldn't be surprised if her character comes out on the show too, which would also be a first. I imagine Disney will certainly face a negative reaction from religious, conservative folks and all those "non-profit" watchdog groups like the Parents Television Council and One Million Moms.

I'm a fan of Boy Meets World and started watching Girl Meets World out of curiosity. The show is pretty good and keeps some of the spirit the old show had. Hopefully, Rowan coming out is dealt with respect and Disney doesn't bow down to any pressure these watchdog groups will push.
Old 01-19-16, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 14 year old says that even though she has only ever been attracted to boys, she's "coming out" as queer because she hasn't discounted the possibility that she may at some point in the future be attracted to a girl.

At this point I would say rewriting her character on the show would be, like Miss Blanchard herself, pre-mature.
Old 01-20-16, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think Disney does anything, especially to address someone that young.
Old 01-20-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm... outraged?
Old 01-20-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I could have swore this would have been an oldboy thread. Did they react when Miley decided to show her tits/vagina and simulate masturbation to everyone?

WFC???
Old 01-20-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
A 14 year old says that even though she has only ever been attracted to boys, she's "coming out" as queer because she hasn't discounted the possibility that she may at some point in the future be attracted to a girl.

At this point I would say rewriting her character on the show would be, like Miss Blanchard herself, pre-mature.
I am leaning towards agreeing with this, at this point. I can definitely see Disney taking some heat from the usual hate groups over "not doing anything" about the situation. But I don't think they should do anything at present.
Old 01-20-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I could have swore this would have been an oldboy thread. Did they react when Miley decided to show her tits/vagina and simulate masturbation to everyone?

WFC???
Wasn't Miley already over 18 and hadn't been on the Disney channel in years by then? Big difference from a 14 year old on an active show.
Old 01-20-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I was going to do a google search for any other gay or lesbian Disney stars, but realized what kind of results that would get me.

I can't imagine Disney is going to do anything at all.
Old 01-20-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I was going to do a google search for any other gay or lesbian Disney stars, but realized what kind of results that would get me.

I can't imagine Disney is going to do anything at all.
Big one that jumps out is Raven. Wasn't she on Disney?
Old 01-20-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Why does Disney care if Mr. Bean is gay?
Old 01-20-16, 08:00 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Disney loves Neil Patrick Harris. He's hosted the Christmas Day Parade show, and hosts the World Of Color watershow at the California Adventure park, and frequently does the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/...world-of-color
Old 01-20-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disney stopped caring a long time ago about what people think of their inclusion of gays. Bigoted religious groups have been after them ever since they started offering (far ahead of most other big business peers) equal benefits for same sex partners.

That said, I doubt they do anything. Not acknowledge this in any press releases about the show. Not the show in any way. Nothing. Which of course will piss off the religious busy bodies even more than any press release or change in the show ever would. They are like the crazy woman in Fatal Attraction - They will not be IGNORED!