Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (S2E08) -- (2-night crossover w/ Arrow) -- "Legends of Today" -- 12/1/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S2E08) -- (2-night crossover w/ Arrow) -- "Legends of Today" -- 12/1/15

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E08) -- (2-night crossover w/ Arrow) -- "Legends of Today" -- 12/1/1

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Vandal Savage is an awesome, classic villain. I've been surprised that Warner never used him as the villain in a Batman movie.

Like most of the DC properties he's handled better by the animation department.
Old 12-03-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E08) -- (2-night crossover w/ Arrow) -- "Legends of Today" -- 12/1/1

I never understood why Savage is a successful villain in a world with superheroes. Old age and treachery shouldn't trump superpowers.
Old 12-03-15, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I never understood why Savage is a successful villain in a world with superheroes. Old age and treachery shouldn't trump superpowers.
1. He can't die.
2. He's a genius- he has 30,000 years of accumulated knowledge to work with.
3. He can set plans in motion over millennia.
Old 12-03-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Except Patti.
I like Barry and Patti as an item, so I really hope we don't get the same old "you didn't tell me because you don't trust me" shtick when she finds out Barry's The Flash. Hopefully since she saw what Zoom did to him it wouldn't be difficult for her to think what Zoom would do to her if he finds out the two are dating.
Old 12-03-15, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Originally Posted by Eric F
1. He can't die.
2. He's a genius- he has 30,000 years of accumulated knowledge to work with.
3. He can set plans in motion over millennia.
Was wondering the same. This is the first time I believe I've seen him in action other than the time he fought Wally West on Young Justice. In every other TV appearance, he seems to be more of a schemer and behind the scene puppeteer than an actual warrior. There was a reference of him being a great fighter and able to kill the JL in an alternate timeline on the Justice League series, but it was never shown.
Old 12-03-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
I like Barry and Patti as an item, so I really hope we don't get the same old "you didn't tell me because you don't trust me" shtick when she finds out Barry's The Flash. Hopefully since she saw what Zoom did to him it wouldn't be difficult for her to think what Zoom would do to her if he finds out the two are dating.
Patti and Barry have infinitely more chemistry than Barry and Iris, no question. Last time he didn't tell Iris about his secret, it almost got her killed, but apparently pattern recognition is not his strong point, and Patti is smart enough to figure it out on her own anyway. The whole thing feels contrived to me. She'd be much more useful as part of the team than spending time running around in circles to hide it from her.
Old 12-04-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
My only negative was the chick playing Kendra. I think she is not very good and has a very strange look. She looks like she is in her 30's and I don't think she is supposed to.
Ditto. Her acting is almost as bad as Iris, and she is distractingly weird looking. That mouth...

We also cringe every time Laurel does that canary cry move. Overacting overload, not to mention usually worthless.

Overall the episode was awesome. But I thought it was a very odd, to borderline stupid decision to air that long LOT commercial right in the middle of both episodes. Way to ruin what is going on within the show for those that hadn't read the spoilers before hand.
Old 12-04-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
There was a reference of him being a great fighter and able to kill the JL in an alternate timeline on the Justice League series, but it was never shown.
Here he is kicking ass. I still own this one. I think he fought the golden age Green Lantern or the Justice Society first.

Old 12-04-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patti and Barry have infinitely more chemistry than Barry and Iris, no question. Last time he didn't tell Iris about his secret, it almost got her killed, but apparently pattern recognition is not his strong point, and Patti is smart enough to figure it out on her own anyway. The whole thing feels contrived to me. She'd be much more useful as part of the team than spending time running around in circles to hide it from her.
Same here, I really enjoy Barry and Patti, but I have a bad hunch for Patti at the end of this season.
Old 12-04-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been times when it seemed like they were showing Patti had figured it all out, and was just playing along. Wouldn't be surprised if they decide to let it out and she comes out with "I've known since..." Seriously, my 7yo could figure out most of this comic book hidden identify stuff. Not even as well done as most parents trying to keep the Santa, Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy stuff going.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-04-15 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Was wondering the same. This is the first time I believe I've seen him in action other than the time he fought Wally West on Young Justice. In every other TV appearance, he seems to be more of a schemer and behind the scene puppeteer than an actual warrior. There was a reference of him being a great fighter and able to kill the JL in an alternate timeline on the Justice League series, but it was never shown.
It's been suggested that Vandal Savage is actually the last Neanderthal and much stronger than an ordinary human. He's much older than 4000 years in the comics.
Old 12-04-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The crossover was amazing. DC needs to get their heads outta their asses and just incorporate the tv world into the movie universe. The producers clearly know what they're doing and have an amazing level of knowledge and respect for the characters.

The fight sequences were excellent for a tv show. I will say though it's obvious the Arrow fight choreographers blow the Flash team away. The sequences are so much cooler than normal Flash episodes.
Old 12-04-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Yeh I really enjoyed this team up.
Would prefer they would stop making Jay such a jerk and
really would love Phantom Stranger to stop referring to and using the word "shipper".
Old 12-04-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeh I really enjoyed this team up.
Would prefer they would stop making Jay such a jerk and
really would love Phantom Stranger to stop referring to and using the word "shipper".
What is wrong with that term? I've probably used it two or three times in total on this board. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that term before your post.

It's shorthand for a fan that supports a potential romantic relationship between two characters.
Old 12-04-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Didn't the shipping term originate with Mulder and Scully on old message boards? I feel like I read that somewhere relatively recently.
Old 12-04-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know the term from it being used a few months ago on here and the discussion of what it means.
It's kind of a teenage girl term that just is really odd for an adult man or any adult for that matter to use in my opinion.
Old 12-04-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Didn't the shipping term originate with Mulder and Scully on old message boards? I feel like I read that somewhere relatively recently.
Probably from the Big Bang Theory topic.

Hanshotfirst brought it up.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12601677-post56.html
Old 12-05-15, 07:15 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Vandel Savage has to be the coolest villian on any superhero TV show right now

He's Nasir from Robin of Sherwood level cool
Old 12-05-15, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The crossover was amazing. DC needs to get their heads outta their asses and just incorporate the tv world into the movie universe.
Honestly, I'd rather just let Berlanti and company due their own thing -- all indications are that the movie folks just don't understand what makes these characters work, and I'd rather not have them interfere with the good stuff that's being done on TV.
Old 12-05-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, clearly they'd have to work together to hammer out the character arcs.

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Vandel Savage has to be the coolest villian on any superhero TV show right now
I was thinking the same thing. He was a total badass. Also the coolest villain name out there.

However, I rewatched it and there is a giant leap in logic when the gang decides to run off to Arrow team for help.

The facts up to that point:
- killed 5 unarmed fishermen on the dock
- broke into CC Jitters
- threw a knife at Cisco and ran away while they were distracted

They immediately jump to knowing he is magic and super powerful. Based on what they knew, there is no reason to even suspect magic, let alone think he was way more powerful than any meta-human. He killed some unarmed fishermen, broke into a coffee house and has a knife fetish. It made little sense upon rewatching it. I wonder if there was a deleted scene or if it was just a 'we have to push characters from point A to point B' moment.
Old 12-06-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did notice that sleight of hand in the story logic. Arrow tends to do it more than Flash but both shows will often jump over bridging scenes that would have been filmed if they had more than an hour slot.

People have to understand these network shows with 20+ episodes have very tight production schedules when any type of action scene is included in the episode. The action scenes are often written in advance so the stunt people can block things and get the VFX done on time, while the rest of the plot is filled in afterwards.
Old 12-06-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's not really an excuse though. If Team Flash is going on the assumption VS is magic, then show him using magic in front of Barry or Cisco. Show him disappear and reappear outside of CC Jitters instead of the total disappearing act.
Old 12-07-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know the term from it being used a few months ago on here and the discussion of what it means.
It's kind of a teenage girl term that just is really odd for an adult man or any adult for that matter to use in my opinion.
It's been around in fandom forever. I hear it in any context about wanting characters together. I assumed it was like saying any other fan term.

Probably from the Big Bang Theory topic.

Hanshotfirst brought it up.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12601677-post56.html

I'm famous !
Old 12-07-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm famous !
We all simply assume you are George Lucas posting under an alias. This must be a tough time for you with Disney releasing a Star Wars sequel that you put off for decades.
Old 12-07-15, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Stranger, stop being a shipper.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.