Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E07) -- "Heads Up" -- 11/22/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E07) -- "Heads Up" -- 11/22/15

Do most dumpsters have enough space under them for someone to crawl underneath one? I'll have to take a look whenever I see a dumpster now...
Old 11-23-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Do most dumpsters have enough space under them for someone to crawl underneath one? I'll have to take a look whenever I see a dumpster now...
What, haven't you dumpster dived for DVD cases behind Blockbusters? You should know everything about the things.
Old 11-23-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
This show is starting to get tedious. I hope they end it sooner than later.

Spoiler:
I think a good place to end the run would be with the Negan storyline before the time jump. They shouldn't really go beyond that or at the very least show a glimpse of it and be done with it. At least it sort of ended happy at that point.
Is someone forcing you to watch it? I don't get all the complaints for the show you have a choice to watch or don't watch. I gave up a long time ago at the shows logic and decision making etc...it is easier to enjoy that way.
Old 11-23-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
We have 2 dumpsters at work:

-The large one (we put all trash in it) you can not crawl underneath as it goes right to the ground

-The smaller one (for cardboard only to recycle) is on wheels and you can go underneath. The problem is with that many zombies hanging on it, it easily would have moved.

Originally Posted by Draven

So to recap, if we see Rick/Daryl/Carol eaten by zombies, I'm sure they'll stay dead. If we see any of those characters fall to the ground with another person on top of him and that person is eaten by zombies, I'll completely understand if they survive.
The problem is they lost my trust when a major character 'supposedly' dies in the future because I am going to think they are going to pull a bait and switch with like they did with Glenn. The irony is they may actually kill Carol, Darryl or Rick in the future, and it could be a very emotional scene, but part of me will be thinking, "hmmmm....how are they going to survive this one?"

That is why when you do that with a major character, you better have a great payoff. Whether he was alive or dead last night, there was no payoff like the Sophia reveal in Season 2. I thought that this has been a solid season so far, and its a shame that they tried to get cute with this plot point.
Old 11-23-15, 01:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I predict the complaints about Glenn will have zero impact on the show's ratings or audience.
Old 11-23-15, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was Glenns special comment for the fans they kept advertising.about?
Old 11-23-15, 02:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I don't get all the complaints for the show you have a choice to watch or don't watch.
Really, this argument again? It's perfectly reasonable to provide critical analysis of aspects of something you may otherwise enjoy. Just because someone thinks this season has been tedious (and, IMO, it has, especially with the season premiere and the Morgan episode), that doesn't automatically mean they're hate-watching it just so they can complain about it here. In the great words of holy Groucho who is perfect and has never done anything wrong ever,
Originally Posted by Groucho
"TV Talk" is not a cheerleading squad. Both positive and negative opinions about shows are allowed.
Personally, I still like the show, but I'm not going to pretend this season has been the best yet. I stick around because I've seen how excellent it can be (even in fleeting moments of this very season), and I'm hoping it gets there again.

Originally Posted by Toonview
I predict the complaints about Glenn will have zero impact on the show's ratings or audience.
Yeah, no shit. If this show were a bus, it would be something like this:
Old 11-23-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Definitely a cheap cop out to resolve the Glenn situation. But it was seen coming a mile away. The showrunners lost a lot of goodwill with this stunt. Probably wont effect the number of viewers, but they lost a lot of believability in alot of fans eyes.
Old 11-23-15, 02:28 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
What was Glenns special comment for the fans they kept advertising.about?
Thank you fans for all your support for the character Glenn, I really appreciate it. I will be on Talking Dead tonight with producers and shit.

Oh, and remember to watch Into the Badlands in case you didn't know by the other 3 billion commercials we've shown.
Old 11-23-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
The problem is they lost my trust when a major character 'supposedly' dies in the future because I am going to think they are going to pull a bait and switch with like they did with Glenn. The irony is they may actually kill Carol, Darryl or Rick in the future, and it could be a very emotional scene, but part of me will be thinking, "hmmmm....how are they going to survive this one?"

That is why when you do that with a major character, you better have a great payoff. Whether he was alive or dead last night, there was no payoff like the Sophia reveal in Season 2. I thought that this has been a solid season so far, and its a shame that they tried to get cute with this plot point.
Again, if you SEE THEM DIE, then I understand the complaint. If Beth had popped up in the next episode after obviously getting shot in the head, I would have been right there at the gate with torches.

We never saw Glenn die. Just like we never saw Judith die (though plenty of people said she was dead too). A minor character fell with him and they shot it in such a way that you couldn't see where the guts were coming from. Sure, it's dramatic. But if they wanted to show Glenn die, we would have seen him die. That's not the fault of this show - that's TV in general. How many times has a show cut to black with a gunshot and come back to find out they missed/it was a different gun/etc?

And again - I don't think it was a huge "payoff" because he obviously wasn't dead. But if we had actually seen him getting his guts ripped out and then he was A-Ok, I'd completely agree with you.

Originally Posted by jjcool
Definitely a cheap cop out to resolve the Glenn situation. But it was seen coming a mile away. The showrunners lost a lot of goodwill with this stunt. Probably wont effect the number of viewers, but they lost a lot of believability in alot of fans eyes.
You've never seen a TV show where they made it look like someone was going to die but they totally didn't? I don't think they lost that many viewers since I'd assume some of them have seen shows do this exact same thing for decades.
Old 11-23-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Really, this argument again? It's perfectly reasonable to provide critical analysis of aspects of something you may otherwise enjoy. Just because someone thinks this season has been tedious (and, IMO, it has, especially with the season premiere and the Morgan episode), that doesn't automatically mean they're hate-watching it just so they can complain about it here. In the great words of holy Groucho who is perfect and has never done anything wrong ever,

Personally, I still like the show, but I'm not going to pretend this season has been the best yet. I stick around because I've seen how excellent it can be (even in fleeting moments of this very season), and I'm hoping it gets there again.

Yeah, no shit. If this show were a bus, it would be something like this:
I've been a fan of the comic since the beginning; so I am going to watch it and see the differences. Most I like; others I hate. People automatically think your trolling just because you don't like certain aspects. Stupid fan boys; especially those that just jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 11-23-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Again, if you SEE THEM DIE, then I understand the complaint. If Beth had popped up in the next episode after obviously getting shot in the head, I would have been right there at the gate with torches.

We never saw Glenn die. Just like we never saw Judith die (though plenty of people said she was dead too). A minor character fell with him and they shot it in such a way that you couldn't see where the guts were coming from. Sure, it's dramatic. But if they wanted to show Glenn die, we would have seen him die. That's not the fault of this show - that's TV in general. How many times has a show cut to black with a gunshot and come back to find out they missed/it was a different gun/etc?

And again - I don't think it was a huge "payoff" because he obviously wasn't dead. But if we had actually seen him getting his guts ripped out and then he was A-Ok, I'd completely agree with you.

You've never seen a TV show where they made it look like someone was going to die but they totally didn't? I don't think they lost that many viewers since I'd assume some of them have seen shows do this exact same thing for decades.
I'd agree with all of your points, had they not removed Steven Yeun's name from the credits the last two weeks. Yes, TV shows will often trick you into thinking a character has been killed when in fact they haven't (Anyone remember Hill Street Blues' Lt. Hunter pointing a gun to his head, saying "I love you mother", and hearing a gun shot as the screen went to black?), but removing Yeun's name from the credits was a sign they wanted to milk this for all it was worth. It's cloying, and insulting to the viewers. I'll still watch, but I won't deny that I don't like this overly obvious attempt at trolling the audience.
Old 11-23-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
I'd agree with all of your points, had they not removed Steven Yeun's name from the credits the last two weeks. Yes, TV shows will often trick you into thinking a character has been killed when in fact they haven't (Anyone remember Hill Street Blues' Lt. Hunter pointing a gun to his head, saying "I love you mother", and hearing a gun shot as the screen went to black?), but removing Yeun's name from the credits was a sign they wanted to milk this for all it was worth. It's cloying, and insulting to the viewers. I'll still watch, but I won't deny that I don't like this overly obvious attempt at trolling the audience.
1) I guarantee a vast majority of Walking Dead viewers didn't notice that. Or even know Glenn's real name, for that matter.

2) If he HAD been in the credits, those who would notice would have been jumping on the same internet boards to say SEE HE'S TOTALLY NOT DEAD!!! I'm okay with them leaving it a little bit ambiguous.

Also, it's a TV show. So who really cares?
Old 11-23-15, 04:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
^As opposed to signalling the group that they're out there?
I think that's what the writers want us to think. The church came down right after we saw the balloons. I have a gut feeling Glenn is getting killed for good next week.
Anyway, whats up with Rick taking down Father Gabriel's prayer flyers?
Old 11-23-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

1) I guarantee a vast majority of Walking Dead viewers didn't notice that. Or even know Glenn's real name, for that matter.

2) If he HAD been in the credits, those who would notice would have been jumping on the same internet boards to say SEE HE'S TOTALLY NOT DEAD!!! I'm okay with them leaving it a little bit ambiguous.

Also, it's a TV show. So who really cares?
These two points are completely irrelevant since the fact is that they did actually remove it with no reason other then to make people think he was dead.

Your last sentence seems like you don't understand people's complaints at all. It's cool if all the hubub didn't bother you, but is it really that hard to see why others are annoyed? I thought Paff summed up the reasons why pretty accurately.
Old 11-23-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I think that's what the writers want us to think. The church came down right after we saw the balloons. I have a gut feeling Glenn is getting killed for good next week.
It's obvious that the church falling was God's response to Rick taking down the prayer flyers.
Old 11-23-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Spoiler:
I think this fake death sort of ruins that moment if it is going to happen. I liked how Lucille came out of nowhere in the comic. I almost feel like this fake death was the writer's way of telling us that Glenn is an untouchable.
Comics stuff speculation - you have been warned...
Spoiler:

I think this whole incident with Glenn was a test run to see how fans would react to his death. Given how upset people were, I think he now won't die on the show. However, I think the Lucille thing will still happen in the show - but like other stuff that was changed, it will be switched over to a different character. Someone likeable and who has on the show for a while to maintain an emotional impact. My #1 guess is it'll happen to Eugene with him showing real bravery during it for the first time in his life. If not him, then my #2 guess is Abraham.
Old 11-23-15, 05:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

frankly, at this point i don't think i would be sad to see anyone go. the show has been phenomenal and i have been enthralled since the start, but it's been what, 6 seasons already? that is incredible for any show and yet it will be on for more. i'd rather see it over a progression then anything in 2-3 episodes towards the end of the run...
Old 11-23-15, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Spoiler:

I think this whole incident with Glenn was a test run to see how fans would react to his death. Given how upset people were, I think he now won't die on the show. However, I think the Lucille thing will still happen in the show - but like other stuff that was changed, it will be switched over to a different character. Someone likeable and who has on the show for a while to maintain an emotional impact. My #1 guess is it'll happen to Eugene with him showing real bravery during it for the first time in his life. If not him, then my #2 guess is Abraham.
Spoiler:
The suspense about Glenn's dumpster death now makes me want to see him get killed by Lucille out of nowhere. All that anxiety for nothing.
Old 11-23-15, 05:33 PM

We better see Abraham shoot grenades into the zombie horde next week.
Old 11-23-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant he was dead when the balloons floated away.

As for Father Gabriel... He's a dick. Maybe Rick just doesn't like him.
Old 11-23-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, he did try to get them tossed out of the community and has taken every step to being a huge dick since they essentially saved him. From trying to run from the situation to causing more damage. The dude is primed for some barbed wire bat beating.
Old 11-23-15, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Fan service.
Old 11-23-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
These two points are completely irrelevant since the fact is that they did actually remove it with no reason other then to make people think he was dead.
But see, it actually DIDN'T make me think he was dead. In fact, because they left a gap that another actor's name could have easily moved into over his watch, I knew we'd see him again.

Your last sentence seems like you don't understand people's complaints at all. It's cool if all the hubub didn't bother you, but is it really that hard to see why others are annoyed? I thought Paff summed up the reasons why pretty accurately.
I don't understand it at all because again, I never for one minute thought he was dead. Just like I don't think a gunshot as any show goes to black at the end of a season means that one of the leads is dead for the whole summer. The mere fact that they didn't show Glenn die means that he's not dead. So why is everyone acting so shocked that they did exactly what they telegraphed they were doing? Hell, they even made it pretty clear he was going to slide under the dumpster.
Old 11-23-15, 08:28 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Spoiler:

My guess would be
Spoiler:
Morgan... that would shock a few folks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.