KICKSTARTER: Bring Back MST3K - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

KICKSTARTER: Bring Back MST3K - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

Old 12-09-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: KICKSTARTER: Bring Back MST3K - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

My guess is most of the writing at the time was done in a room together, with additional riffs added in by people like Schrab to punch things up a bit.
Old 12-09-15, 06:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, it sounded like the bulk of the writers were in the same room together, and then the remote writers would add in material, or maybe they teleconferenced in?
Old 12-10-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another update was posted early this morning/late last night naming a bunch of the artists who will be working on the show. Some of the bigger names include Pembleton Ward (Adventure Time) and Guy Davis (BPRD), along with Adam Savage from Mythbusters helping out with some of the in-camera effects.
Old 12-10-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And another update, with some big names who have agreed to do cameos: Jack Black, Joel McHale, Bill Hader, Neil Patrick Harris and some guys named Jerry Seinfeld and Mark Hamill.
Old 12-10-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The update mentions that guest writer Rob Schrab was "an original remote writer for MST3K," so it sounds like remote writing has always been part of MST3K
I've been a fan of Rob's since Scud the Disposable Assassin, and I've kept up with a bunch of his projects over the years, but I've never heard anything about his involvement in MST3K in the past. I learned something today!
Old 12-10-15, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

This is going to be so star studded, it's not going to feel like MST3K!
Old 12-10-15, 05:46 PM
Banned by request

We're 30 hours out and $1 million short of the 12 episode mark, but that's not including profits from add-ons. It'll be interesting to see if they can make it happen.
Old 12-10-15, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
We're 30 hours out and $1 million short of the 12 episode mark, but that's not including profits from add-ons. It'll be interesting to see if they can make it happen.
Well, currently it's $4.5 million, and at least $375,000 from add-ons (I don't think it's been updated all day), so we're at least at $4.875 million, or only $635,000 (or less) to go.

Edit: One thing I was thinking they could do is leave the "add-ons" store open post-Kickstarter to bring in some additional revenue. Things like the DVD/Blu-ray sets and the coffee table book can stay available for pre-purchase for a long while.
Old 12-10-15, 06:07 PM
Banned by request

I'm tempted to get the unsigned coffee table book, but I've already pledged over $100 to this, I think they've got enough of my money at this point.
Old 12-11-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the latest update, it's reached about $5.2 Million combined. In response, and in an attempt to become the biggest crowdfunded TV/Film project ever, Joel's added a new stretch goal of $5.9 million, at which point they'll produce a 13th episode, a holiday special.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1441588
Old 12-11-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

It's pretty insane that they've been able to raise all of this money, but it seems to be less an indication of a huge existing fanbase, and more indicative of just how hardcore that existing base is. They're looking to pass Veronica Mars as the largest Kickstarter ever, but Veronica Mars had more than twice as many backers.

I suppose it doesn't really matter either way, because the episodes are going to get made. However, I can't imagine this is going to lead to another extended run for the show (which I think is the idea) just based on the numbers.
Old 12-11-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
It's pretty insane that they've been able to raise all of this money, but it seems to be less an indication of a huge existing fanbase, and more indicative of just how hardcore that existing base is. They're looking to pass Veronica Mars as the largest Kickstarter ever, but Veronica Mars had more than twice as many backers.

I suppose it doesn't really matter either way, because the episodes are going to get made. However, I can't imagine this is going to lead to another extended run for the show (which I think is the idea) just based on the numbers.
The latest update is asking for pledges of just $1, noting that having more backers is good to show support. It also notes that the $1 pledge makes you eligible to receive the free Rifftrax short (a $2 value!) and behind-the-scenes Kickstarter updates.
Old 12-11-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

live stream countdown.
Old 12-11-15, 07:43 PM
Banned by request

If you have less fans, but each fan is willing to spend more money, then why is that a less attractive proposition than more fans, but each fan isn't willing to spend as much money?

Either way, I'll take 13 good episodes over none.
Old 12-11-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have less fans, but each fan is willing to spend more money, then why is that a less attractive proposition than more fans, but each fan isn't willing to spend as much money?.
I think the idea is for a network or streaming service, they're interested in total number of eyeballs who will be watching the show if they pick it up.
Old 12-12-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, well the telethon, on a technical level, was a hot mess, with a lot of audio issues and the feed dropping 2-3 times, but they still managed to raise over $5.7 on Kickstarter alone, beating Veronica Mars for the Kickstarter record for most funded Film & Vidoe project:

Combined with the add-on store's reported $600,000, that brings the total to over $6.3 million, which means we get a 14th episode!
Old 12-12-15, 01:47 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Wow, well the telethon, on a technical level, was a hot mess, with a lot of audio issues and the feed dropping 2-3 times, but they still managed to raise over $5.7 on Kickstarter alone, beating Veronica Mars for the Kickstarter record for most funded Film & Vidoe project:

Combined with the add-on store's reported $600,000, that brings the total to over $6.3 million, which means we get a 14th episode!
I was away for the last 2 hours.. I did up my pledge from what I originally backed.

Did they mention a 14th episode during the live feed countdown? I know originally it was 12 if fully funded and then a 13th holiday one if they surpassed.
Old 12-12-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I was away for the last 2 hours.. I did up my pledge from what I originally backed.

Did they mention a 14th episode during the live feed countdown? I know originally it was 12 if fully funded and then a 13th holiday one if they surpassed.
Yeah, after they passed $5.9 million (I think they were at $6 million combined), Joel announced the $6.3 million stretch goal of a 14th episode. They hit that goal in the very last minutes when they updated the add-on total.
Old 12-12-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the archived video of the MST3K Kicskstarter telethon from last night to watch in all it's video-glitchy glory (it actually starts about 9m 17s in):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bxe1_-RxXC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://youtu.be/Bxe1_-RxXC0?t=9m17s

If you wonder about the story Ashley Holtgraver (of Freezpop) tries to tell at the 3:22:00 mark, it's the same as the one she told in this clip during the Turkey Day Marathon:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YnNVb65WyTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://youtu.be/YnNVb65WyTI?t=2m48s

Felicia Day also live-streamed the event on Facebook via her phone for about an hour, that's available here:
https://www.facebook.com/FeliciaDay/..._video&theater

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-12-15 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Changed link to full video.
Old 12-12-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

If you have less fans, but each fan is willing to spend more money, then why is that a less attractive proposition than more fans, but each fan isn't willing to spend as much money?

Either way, I'll take 13 good episodes over none.
For the sake of the Kickstarter it makes no difference at all. They have the money and they're making the episodes. We're all happy. But like Jay G. mentioned, I think Joel's hope was that this would lead to a network or streaming deal and MST3K could have another extended run. If the viewer base is relatively small (no matter how much money they were willing to part with after 15+ years of waiting), that seems less likely.

On a different note, while I'm excited for this and was willing to fork over $200 to get the blu-rays and everything else, I can't help but be a little bummed out at all of the perceived negativity coming from the former cast/crew. Joel insisted that everyone was invited to participate, but I get the impression from the other guys that he pretty much did this on his own and only offered obligatory invitations well after things were already set in motion. Somewhat surprisingly, it's been Joel's fellow Cinematic Titanic guys who have been the most vocal about not being involved. I don't want to read too much into Twitter and get bogged down in rumor and innuendo, but I'd be lying if I said it hasn't diminished my enthusiasm a little bit.
Old 12-12-15, 08:52 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

On a different note, while I'm excited for this and was willing to fork over $200 to get the blu-rays and everything else, I can't help but be a little bummed out at all of the perceived negativity coming from the former cast/crew. Joel insisted that everyone was invited to participate, but I get the impression from the other guys that he pretty much did this on his own and only offered obligatory invitations well after things were already set in motion. Somewhat surprisingly, it's been Joel's fellow Cinematic Titanic guys who have been the most vocal about not being involved. I don't want to read too much into Twitter and get bogged down in rumor and innuendo, but I'd be lying if I said it hasn't diminished my enthusiasm a little bit.
I just went and read their Twitters... sounds like they are more bummed about not being asked to reprise their roles more so than just asking to help out and possibly cameo.

I think going the new cast route will actually be good for the show, and as Joel has been saying, introduce some fresh life into it. I like Jonah Ray. Patton is a brilliant choice as TVs Son of TVs Frank. The new Servo voice actor is really throwing me off... but the new Crow sounds great. You know Trace, Frank, Bill etc. aren't making big money right now, so it seems only natural they would want the easy payday of coming back. But they had their chance (10 years) with this show (which remember, was all Joel's idea), they could at least be a little humble when passing the torch.

Mike Nelson seems to have stayed pretty silent about the whole thing.
Old 12-12-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mike Nelson posted on Facebook, wishing it well and saying he was unlikely to participate because he was only ever a hired gun and he has his own project.

He's also giving away almost 50,000 Rifftrax shorts to the MST3K backers, which seems pretty supportive.
Old 12-12-15, 09:44 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Mike Nelson posted on Facebook, wishing it well and saying he was unlikely to participate because he was only ever a hired gun and he has his own project.

He's also giving away almost 50,000 Rifftrax shorts to the MST3K backers, which seems pretty supportive.
Didn't realize that, but that's awesome!

Just went and watched the final 5 minutes of the Telethon (only made it to the final 90 minute mark last night... stupid East Coast time)... Joel seems totally blown away by the support, and it was fantastic seeing him in the jump suit with the three bots behind him and everyone singing the theme.

So glad this show is coming back. Even if it's only 14 episodes.
Old 12-12-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed the telethon last night because I was at an office party, but the Rifftrax guys said they were adding some rewards for backers at the $35 and $85 levels, but they didn't specify what they would be.

I'd like some of their full length vods, I'm way behind on those.
Old 12-12-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the full telethon video posted on the MST3K channel seems to have an audio sync issue starting at about the 02:11:33 mark that wasn't there during the live feed (appears related to one of the feed outages). I found another version on the channel for the venue with correct sound, and changed the link in the previous post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxe1_-RxXC0

Also, I found some clips of the telethon.

Game Grumps on the MST3K Telethon Stream + Manos: The Hands of Fate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5g66ZPCXrU

Crasher-Vania - Starbomb (LIVE @ MST3K Telethon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw29uX9m_I0

End of MST3K Telethon (ft. Game Grumps)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN3QraEM9Tg

MST3K Telethon: Patton Oswalt reads tweets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U48LbG1RHc

Dana Gould as Dr. Zaius as William Shatner reciting Santa Claus is Coming to Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re0_DhrDD8Q

MST3K Telethon: The most awkward moment (debatable)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOCbiIAcvg

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.