Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S2E05) -- "The Darkness and the Light" -- 11/3/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E05) -- "The Darkness and the Light" -- 11/3/15

As someone else talked about. With his super speed he could do anything before they could react yet they have to take liberties otherwise everything would be too easy.

Originally Posted by dex14
Why do they keep referring to Wells as if the one they had wasn't Thawne AS Wells. There is a distinction isn't there? The Wells they knew wasn't actually Wells...
That bugged me the entire episode. They never meet or knew their Wells. So it is not even a case of could this Wells be bad as well because it was Thawne.
Old 11-04-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Cisco is hilarious, and is it possible that Zoom is

Spoiler:
Earth 2 Barry?
I cannot imagine it is anyone else.
Old 11-04-15, 05:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

is Zoom's voice that of Tony Todd?
Old 11-04-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Cisco is hilarious, and is it possible that Zoom is

Spoiler:
Earth 2 Barry?
Originally Posted by johnnysd
I cannot imagine it is anyone else.
Zoom was awfully muscular.

Originally Posted by TGM
is Zoom's voice that of Tony Todd?
That's what IMDB says.
Old 11-04-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

yeah, Tony Todd does the voice of Zoom. Was announced several months ago.
Old 11-04-15, 05:57 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Zoom was awfully muscular.

That's what IMDB says.
Lots of things point to it.
Old 11-04-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Fun episode. Good to have more Garrick. So Jay's mention of his friend from Atlantis had to be a nod to Aquaman right?

Originally Posted by dex14
Why do they keep referring to Wells as if the one they had wasn't Thawne AS Wells. There is a distinction isn't there? The Wells they knew wasn't actually Wells...
It's funny. I don't think twice about this, but anytime anyone has a cup of coffee from CC Jitters, it's obviously an empty cup. Cisco took a couple sips (either this episode or the last) that was clearly bogus. Also Wells2.0 took multiple bites of his Big Belly burger but two seconds later he's speaking and has no food in his mouth. Is it that hard to put some water in a cup?

These are the things that bug the shit out of me. I'll take a guy faster than the speed of light but a character drinking from an empty cup? I call shenanigans.
Old 11-04-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fun episode. Good to have more Garrick. So Jay's mention of his friend from Atlantis had to be a nod to Aquaman right?
Which was a weird nod since Golden Age Flash hasn't ever been friends with Aquaman. Aquaman wasn't even in the Justice Society of America since he's a later character.

They would score major points with me if they introduce Hourman, one of Jay's teammates from the Justice Society. I demand Hourman.
Old 11-04-15, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Which was a weird nod since Golden Age Flash hasn't ever been friends with Aquaman. Aquaman wasn't even in the Justice Society of America since he's a later character.

They would score major points with me if they introduce Hourman, one of Jay's teammates from the Justice Society. I demand Hourman.
Just what DC needs in prime-time; a superhero who's an addict. I don't think that's likely to happen any time soon.

I'm still waiting for Detective Chimp.
Old 11-04-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Just what DC needs in prime-time; a superhero who's an addict. I don't think that's likely to happen any time soon.
Well save the addicts for Arrow - Cpt. Lance and Laurel. Roy Harper never got the chance.
Old 11-04-15, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
These are the things that bug the shit out of me. I'll take a guy faster than the speed of light but a character drinking from an empty cup? I call shenanigans.
This has always bugged me, not just in the Flash, but on every show I see. For some reason, it is obvious that most cups do not contain any liquid. It must be something in the way the actor holds it, but I see it all the time.

BTW, this was one of the weakest eps of the series. The Thawne/Wells thing also bugs me. He is not really a doppelganger of the evil foe they faced.
Old 11-04-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was getting a little bit of heat for saying the same thing over at the AV Club: the characters on this show keep talking about Earth 2 Welles like he's an alternate version of a person they knew. They NEVER met Harrison Welles. The person they knew had no relationship to Harrison Welles and had just stolen his physical appearance, but they continually refer to him as "Welles"'and "our Welles." He was Thawne. The real Harrison Welles never had any contact of any kind with the characters on Earth One. Ever.
Old 11-04-15, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I was getting a little bit of heat for saying the same thing over at the AV Club: the characters on this show keep talking about Earth 2 Welles like he's an alternate version of a person they knew. They NEVER met Harrison Welles. The person they knew had no relationship to Harrison Welles and had just stolen his physical appearance, but they continually refer to him as "Welles"'and "our Welles." He was Thawne. The real Harrison Welles never had any contact of any kind with the characters on Earth One. Ever.
Yes he did. Wells was a friend and colleague of Tina McGee. I was expecting her to show up in this episode since Joe mentioned her when talking to Barry about Wells. I thought the writers were going to explore that relationship since McGee had talked about who Wells was before Thawne took over his body.

I got 3 guesses on who is Zoom:

Spoiler:

1- Barry Allen from Earth 2.
2- Eddie Thawne from Earth 2
3- Dr. Henry Allen from Earth 2

The third option is the one that makes sense to me since the writers took him out of the show early this season, it would be shocking to Barry and could open the doors of showing John Wesley Ship using the Flash costume once again. I'm still hoping that with all the multiverse talk, we get to see Barry Allen from the 90's Flash TV show as one of the speedsters from the multiverse.
Old 11-04-15, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Since the character of Zoom is wide open, how about blow people's minds and cast Stephen Amell? The ultimate crossover. Make the hero on one show the villain on the other.
Old 11-05-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
What!? You've been cheating on DVDtalk? For shame, sir, for shame.
Old 11-05-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Not sure I like the way Jay is being presented.
A Coward. Thats not the Jay I know and love to read about.

Did like the peak into Earth-2. Seems to have some kind of retro look about it.
Old 11-05-15, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't think Jay is presented as so much as a coward, he just knows that Earth-2 Welles isn't what he appears to be.

Also, I think it's a bit odd that all the metas in both universes we know about so far were created by both Welles' (intentionally it seems). There must be "natural" metas who exist in the Arrowverse that weren't created by the accelerator that we don't know about yet. Jay's reference to Atlanteans was the first hint of that.
Old 11-05-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

But then he said "Welles was right, don't let fear cripple you the way it did me," or something like that.
Old 11-05-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

They weren't friends, but Aquaman isn't an especially later character than Flash. Flash first appeared in 1940, Aquman in 1941.

CW had an Hourman series in development for a bit, but nothing seems to have come of it:

http://screenrant.com/hourman-dc-com...eries-show-cw/
Old 11-05-15, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been bugging me since the season began. How is it possible that all the characters on Earth 1 remember Thawn? If Eddie killed himself so that E. Thawn never existed, how come the entire season 1 didn't change? How do they remember a character that never existed?
Old 11-05-15, 12:26 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Strider44
This has been bugging me since the season began. How is it possible that all the characters on Earth 1 remember Thawn? If Eddie killed himself so that E. Thawn never existed, how come the entire season 1 didn't change? How do they remember a character that never existed?
Don't think too much about time travel stuff. If Eddie died than Thawn doesn't exist, doesn't travel back in time, doesn't kill Norra, Barry still becomes the Flash only later, but Eddie now is still alive so Thawn is born and we repeat season 1. Just accept that there is no logical flow for time travel. The only thing I ask is the show is consistent in its own universe.
Old 11-05-15, 12:40 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Limitless is like a version of hourman... well, kind of.
Old 11-06-15, 05:57 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Yes he did. Wells was a friend and colleague of Tina McGee. I was expecting her to show up in this episode since Joe mentioned her when talking to Barry about Wells. I thought the writers were going to explore that relationship since McGee had talked about who Wells was before Thawne took over his body.

I got 3 guesses on who is Zoom:

Spoiler:

1- Barry Allen from Earth 2.
2- Eddie Thawne from Earth 2
3- Dr. Henry Allen from Earth 2

The third option is the one that makes sense to me since the writers took him out of the show early this season, it would be shocking to Barry and could open the doors of showing John Wesley Ship using the Flash costume once again. I'm still hoping that with all the multiverse talk, we get to see Barry Allen from the 90's Flash TV show as one of the speedsters from the multiverse.
I really feel in my gut that #3 or some variation of that is correct. Zoom has a very similar muscular body type.
Old 11-06-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What!? You've been cheating on DVDtalk? For shame, sir, for shame.
I'm a lonely man. Don't judge me!
Old 11-07-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strider44

One concept is that all the events up to that point happened and by erasing him, they don't change what happened in the past, but it does change that they just erased the time line that it all did happen in and are starting another time line for Earth-1 to go down that doesn't have Thawn in it.

Much like how when Marty went back to the past and ran over the tree in the lot on the farm, the mall changed from being called Twin Pines to the now time line he went back to in warning doc about the Libyans being called Lone Pine Mall.

or...