Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pushing Daisies creator angling for new Star Trek TV show!

There's always the tribble home planet idea.
Old 03-06-09, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Probably because there's no longer any real first-run dramatic syndication market left.
I think someone just posted a story about how Legend of the Seeker was doing very well. Probably not up to Star Trek standards for ratings, but I guess I have no idea how previous Trek shows have done.
Old 03-06-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Books should and will be written about how badly the Trek franchise was botched. I still cannot fathom the need and desire to go back in the past and muck everything up. JUST. KEEP. GOING. New ships, new crew, new races, new conflicts, new exploration.

It boggles my mind that no one thought they could make a go of it if they just continued to progress the Trek storyline. I'm not an Enterprise-hater, but it was just so unnecessary and all it served to do is muck up the timeline when you could have just kept going in the 24th-25th century and everything could have still been fresh.
Old 03-06-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this the exact premise that enterprise was built on? The return to the spirit of the original series. Seemed like a good idea in theory. But in practice, not so much. I love pretty much anything Fuller does, but not really excited about the prospect of another Trek show. Unless they have a new premise.
Old 03-06-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I never had a problem with Enterprise's going into the past, nor do I have a problem with the new movie going to the past. I've always said it's the execution, esp ENT's non-sense with the Temporal Cold War, the Xindi, the space Nazi's, what have you. If they had stuck to the hints of the past that TOS had given us (the Romulan and Kzinti wars), they might have done a smidge better. Don't just pick a vague time period and say "this is our setting", pick a setting and say "how did our people react to all this?"
Old 03-06-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd personally like to see an Enterprise B or C-era show, or perhaps one set in the post-C but pre-D era. I'd like to see a show that doesn't feel like it has to advance any awesome mythology, either. The thing that has bugged me about Star Trek even starting with DS9 is the one-upsmanship. It was particularly terrible when it came to Voyager if you ask me. Not every good story has to be about how the Captain is the biggest badass diplomat or the greatest asset Starfleet has.

Heck, put us on the Sutherland in the time just after its last missions to DS9. That's a nice Nebula-class vessel that doesn't have complications due to being destroyed by the Borg at Wolf 359 or anything.
Old 03-06-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'd personally like to see an Enterprise B or C-era show.

I always wanted to see this back after Generations came out. Bring on Alan Ruck!

A little green, but some of the novels featuring him and the Enterprise B were among my favorites, especially Captain's Daughter.

There was also talk of some made for TV Excelsior movies with Captain Sulu as well that never transpired. Bummer.

I still say advance the story line. If Johnathan Frakes doesn't want to come back for a new series where he is captain, then so be it. There's plenty of other ships in the sky.

We got a series that explored the Alpha Quadrant in Star Trek and Next Generation. Deep Space Nine explored the Gamma Quadrant and Voyager got to the Delta Quadrant. All we know of the Beta Quadrant are the Klingons...but why not have a series that explores that part of the galaxy?
Old 04-22-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously never happened, but sounds like a good idea to me. I'd watch.

http://www.slashfilm.com/bryan-singe...ails-revealed/

• The series would have been titled Star Trek: Federation.
  • Singer and his team had already commissioned a new logo, designed by Mike Okuda, which you can see above.
  • Federation would have consisted of “more complex serialized stories” focusing on “compelling stories about our world today,” as opposed to standalone episodes dealing mainly with the Trek universe.
  • It would have taken place in the year 3000 — several centuries after the existing Star Trek series, but within the same continuity.
  • The Federation would be in a period of complacency and stagnancy, in a purposeful parallel to both the decline of the Roman Empire and the current state of the “American Empire.”
  • The action would’ve kicked off when a new threat called “The Scourge” entered the picture, compelling the Federation to build a new USS Enterprise — the first in over 300 years.
  • One of the central characters would’ve been Commander Alexander Kirk, an aggressive officer with a “checkered past” who was the sole survivor of a run-in with The Scourge.
Sadly, the pitch was never actually, well, pitched. The team finished the proposal in early 2006, planning to pick the project back up later in the year after Singer completed post-production on Superman Returns. But before they could actually present it, Paramount announced J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek, and Singer and his team scrapped their plans.
Old 04-22-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Re: Bryan Singer's never-pitched Star Trek series

focusing on “compelling stories about our world today,” as opposed to standalone episodes dealing mainly with the Trek universe.
This is actually a complaint I started hearing while TNG* was still in first run. During TOS, you had people that had not only lived through things like Korea/Vietnam and race riots and such, but some had actually participated in them. TNG and later series writers grew up on these TOS stories, but didn't always get the idea to use real life stuff as their examples.

I'll be honest, I love internal world-building episodes, but they can get parasitic after awhile. I'd love to see a series like this. There was also a pitch for a far-future set animated series that went around a few years ago. If the Abrams verse movies don't go to series after they're done, the next TV series should make a big jump like this.

*I've also seen this charge leveled at later Simpson's seasons: at first the writers were writing about real life using the Simpsons characters, but over time it just became stories about the Simpsons characters without enough "real life" influence.
Old 04-22-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't the guy who also created Bablyon 5 pitch a star trek series?
Old 04-22-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm not a Trek fan(did like the new film though)*, but that actually sounds interesting.

*for whatever reason I give each new series 5-6 episodes to hook me in. They have yet to succeed.
Old 04-22-11, 12:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

love JJs relaunch, but this sounds good too. It should still happen.
Old 04-22-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Now that I'd like to see.
Old 04-22-11, 01:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure how a tv series where every character has a Christ complex would play.
Old 04-22-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't understand why they weren't prepping a new series when the reboot hit theaters. Strike while the iron is hot, that kind of thing...
Old 04-22-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good. I'd definitely be down for a new Trek series. Maybe the movies will gin up interest.

(I don't think they should name the commander Kirk, though),
Old 04-22-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I still don't understand why they weren't prepping a new series when the reboot hit theaters. Strike while the iron is hot, that kind of thing...
I wasn't a fan of the reboot, so I'm glad they didn't.
Old 04-22-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
As I heard it, essentially Paramount feels they overexposed Trek last time and made some decision to never have a TV show and a movie series going at the same time again.

This is essentially bullshit, of course, because while TNG was on the air the TOS movies continued to be successful, but there you are.
Old 04-22-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not exactly. I think JMS expressed an interest in it, but never got the chance.

Of course, he did pitch B5 to Paramount, and then they filed off the serial numbers and gave us DS9.
Old 04-22-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Jonathan Frakes discussed this recently as well:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49206
Old 04-22-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
As I heard it, essentially Paramount feels they overexposed Trek last time and made some decision to never have a TV show and a movie series going at the same time again.

This is essentially bullshit, of course, because while TNG was on the air the TOS movies continued to be successful, but there you are.
Only 5 and 6 were released while TNG was on the air.
Old 04-22-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes, but not what you'd think.

http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/fi...2004Reboot.pdf
Old 04-23-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam
Only 5 and 6 were released while TNG was on the air.
I know that. There were Trek movies released when TNG was on the air, and TNG and the movies were both successful. What's the issue, exactly?
Old 04-23-11, 08:42 PM

Reboots like the ST movie are lazy writing. Shatner is Kirk et al; the rest are just doing a Rich Little.

If they cannt come up with their own characters then I won't see it.

When Paramount starts green lighting ideas like this or the Frakes series I'll buy ST product again.
Old 04-23-11, 09:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
Reboots like the ST movie are lazy writing. Shatner is Kirk et al; the rest are just doing a Rich Little.

If they cannt come up with their own characters then I won't see it.

When Paramount starts green lighting ideas like this or the Frakes series I'll buy ST product again.
your loss. JJ's relaunch was superb.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.