Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: STAR TREK Returns to TV (sort of) in 2017 (Alex Kurtzman, Exec. Producer)

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Wait, is everyone in the Mirror Universe evil, or just the good guys? If it was a true reflection, wouldn't there be a bunch of friendly Klingons and Borg? Are evil Prime people double evil in the Mirror Universe?

If so, that seems like a pretty poor mirror.
The Klingons are evil in both universes. I don't think we ever saw a villain from the PU in the MU.
Old 11-03-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Wait, is everyone in the Mirror Universe evil, or just the good guys? If it was a true reflection, wouldn't there be a bunch of friendly Klingons and Borg? Are evil Prime people double evil in the Mirror Universe? There's a Transformers comic-book storyline called Shattered Glass which has a premise identical to what you're describing.

If so, that seems like a pretty poor mirror.
I'm not sure, I didn't see the DS9* mirror episodes, but in the ones in the original series and Enterprise, we never saw them, just the main characters who had evil counterparts.

[size]Why isn't Babylon 5 streaming anywhere?[/size]

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-03-15 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm not sure, I didn't see the DS9* mirror episodes, but in the ones in the original series and Enterprise, we never saw them, just the main characters who had evil counterparts.

[size]Why isn't Babylon 5 streaming anywhere?[/size]
Wow, you are right. This check says it's available on nothing but VOD on XFinity.

http://www.canistream.it/tv/series/70726/babylon-5
Old 11-04-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Season two of TNG is actually much stronger than I remember. Season one is still so bad I'm amazed that they made it past it, but while the show didn't truly find its voice until the third year, season two is actually pretty good.
I agree. I've been rewatching it in HD on Netflix and season two was a lot better than I remembered. Even season one wasn't quite as putrid as I thought. I've seen every episode many times probably, but I guess I hadn't seen them in any semblance of order in a long time.
Old 11-04-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely hope it will be in the prime universe or it will be hard for me to be interested.

Definitely needs to be set a bit in the future from the previous series. Either a generation ahead like TNG, or just right after with someone Riker as a captain.
Old 11-04-15, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I still am hoping this will be a "Mirror Trek" series. I have some odd fascination with that part of the ST Universe. They can do pretty much anything they want to with it.
Old 11-04-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Definitely hope it will be in the prime universe or it will be hard for me to be interested.

Definitely needs to be set a bit in the future from the previous series. Either a generation ahead like TNG, or just right after with someone Riker as a captain.
I would love to see Riker, Troi and Worf on a new ENTERPRISE with new cast members mixed in. But Kurtzman will never go for that because he wants his "own" version of STAR TREK, which makes me doubt we'll even get a new ENTERPRISE. I fear this may be STAR TREK in name only.
Old 11-04-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

My guess is that this will be set in the era between TOS and TNG, maybe even before ST:TMP. I thought I read something that said CBS only had the rights to the original series so I could see them completely wanting to avoid anything in the movies or sequel series. Also, TOS nostalgia seems to be a bit higher right now than for any of the other versions.

Last edited by windom; 11-04-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 04:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I hope it's 200 years after TNG.
Old 11-04-15, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TGM
I hope it's 200 years after TNG.
Old 11-04-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
I still am hoping this will be a "Mirror Trek" series. I have some odd fascination with that part of the ST Universe. They can do pretty much anything they want to with it.
The MU's chronology is fairly set in stone.

- Terran Empire dominant
- Spock's overtures for peace leads to the Empire being conquered by the Alliance
- Terrans and their allies become slaves to the Alliance
- Terran Rebellion begins to rise against the Alliance

I suppose they could set it during the MU after the events of the Rebellion, but the fandom may bristle having an entire series set in such a dark and brutal setting.
Old 11-05-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Kurtzman is the show runner of this? I'll pass.

I highly doubt they'll be episodes like "The City on the Edge of Forever" or "The Measure of a Man" or "The Inner Light". It will most likely be a combination of dumbed down action/adventure and/or fanwank. Basically, anything remotely thoughtful will be jettisoned.

If this was run by someone of the caliber of J. Michael Stracynzki or Joss Whedon, I'd be all over this.
Old 11-05-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kurtzman is one of the exec producers. No showrunner announced yet.
Old 11-05-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't see how Kurtzman could be the showrunner. He's in the Hollywood big leagues now, I just can't imagine he has the time. Here's one for you, fellow Trekkies: would that be worse than bringing back Berman and Braga ?
Old 02-09-16, 12:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

A longtime fan of science fiction, Fuller began his career writing for “Star Trek: Voyager” (1997-2001) and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1997).

“My very first experience of ‘Star Trek’ is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the ‘Star Trek’ universe lit my imagination on fire,” said Fuller. “It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of ‘Star Trek’ with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before.”

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

“Bringing ‘Star Trek’ back to television means returning it to its roots, and for years those roots flourished under Bryan’s devoted care,” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “His encyclopedic knowledge of ‘Trek’ canon is surpassed only by his love for Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic future, a vision that continues to guide us as we explore strange new worlds.”

The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises.

“Star Trek” will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout banner. Kurtzman, Fuller and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers.

“For the past 50 years, ‘Star Trek’ has been a groundbreaking franchise that not only changed the landscape of television, but made a significant impact on pop culture,” said David Stapf, president of CBS Television Studios. “When we began discussions about the series returning to television, we immediately knew that Bryan Fuller would be the ideal person to work alongside Alex Kurtzman to create a fresh and authentic take on this classic and timeless series. Bryan is not only an extremely gifted writer, but a genuine fan of ‘Star Trek.’ Having someone at the helm with his gravitas who also understands and appreciates the significance of the franchise and the worldwide fan base was essential to us.”

The latest iteration of “Star Trek” on TV is set to launch on the heels of the 50th anniversary of the original series premiere on Sept. 8, 1966, which was led by stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley. Created by Gene Roddenberry and produced by Lucille Ball’s Desilu Productions, “Star Trek” ran for three seasons on NBC but famously became far more popular in syndicated reruns than it ever was in its original primetime run.

Alongside Michael Green, Fuller also serves as executive producer, writer and showrunner on Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved novel “American Gods,” which will begin production in Toronto this April.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star...al-1201700606/
Old 02-09-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.
Well, my interest is piqued, especially with Bryan Fuller as showrunner.

He also has Star Trek creds: he wrote a few episodes of DS9 and worked on a whopping 81 episodes of Voyager. Hopefully as showrunner he produces a better show than Voyager was.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Fuller#Television

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-10-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Star Trek from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

I was probably in before this news, but I'm all in now!
Old 02-09-16, 12:15 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

still not happy about the whole airing primarily on subscription service thing
Old 02-09-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

well, this is certainly good news. hannibal was phenomenal, so let's hope he hits another home run here.
Old 02-09-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Wow...this is the best news I've heard about Star Trek in a long, long time. My interest just shot up about 99 percent.
Old 02-09-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Definitely good news. He's had a pretty good television run including some Trek so he should be a good fit. I haven't watched Hannibal but have heard nothing but good things.
Old 02-09-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
still not happy about the whole airing primarily on subscription service thing
Agreed.
Old 02-09-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises.
Not sure what this means. Are they introducing a third universe, outside of the Prime (Shatner-Stewart) universe and the Nu (Pine) universe? Or will it feature a new crew and ship in one of the existing universes?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-09-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-09-16, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
No sure what this means. Are they introducing a third universe, outside of the Prime (Shatner-Stewart) universe and the Nu (Pine) universe? Or will it feature a new crew and ship in one of the existing universes?
I suspect this will be different in the way Stargate Universe was different from the rest of the Stargate franchise.
Old 02-09-16, 07:21 PM
Banned

Awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.