TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Legends (TNT) -- S: Sean Bean -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 11/2/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Legends (TNT) -- S: Sean Bean -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 11/2/15

Legends

Season Premiere: "The Legend of Dmitry Petrovich" - Monday, Nov. 2, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-MA-LSV

As the new season of this totally re-imagined show opens, Martin Odum (Sean Bean) is a fugitive, hiding out in present day London and wanted by the FBI for a crime he did not commit. He can't remember his life prior to an injury he suffered in the Iraq War, so he's searching for clues about his true identity with the help of CIA agent Nina Brenner (Kelly Overton). Meanwhile, in 2001, FBI agent Curtis Ballard (Steve Kazee) and his Czech Police partner, Gabi Miskova (Winter Ave Zoli), launch an investigation into a Russian gangster named Dimitry.

Directed by Jamie Payne

Written by Ken Biller

Based on the Novel Legends by Robert Littell

Developed by Howard Gordon

10 episode 2nd season

This show aired last summer as some of you know. Barely got renewed for a 2nd season. But, there were strings attached to the renewal. The studio and network decided to do a complete revamp of the show and change it from an FBI procedural to a darker, serialized spy thriller. Sean Bean is the only returning series regular from season 1. And the show moved production from Los Angeles to London and Prague.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/500...ason-2-reboot/

^^^The above link covers all the changes. Morris Chestnut from Rosewood who was a regular in season 1 will guest star in 3 episodes. There's also 4 new cast members.

Looking forward to seeing the changes. I presume those who didn't watch season 1 or bailed on it, can jump in again.

New trailer for season 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-OJVANnFodA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-02-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Legends (TNT) -- S: Sean Bean -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 11/2/15

I saw this on On Demand a week ago. I was sort of confused because I didn't know it was revamped. It just dove right into the story without a recap of last season. Yeah, it's totally different with only a passing mention of his family and it is serialized.
Old 11-02-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Big salary dump. Sounds like they're mostly dropping the central mystery of the original show (who wants to kill him and why).
Old 11-06-15, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Watched the premiere a few nights ago.

Definitely a complete overhaul of the show. A lot darker and the only big thing the show has in common with season 1 is Sean Bean. They do make some passing mentions to season 1. But other than that, it feels very different. You could feasibly try watching this without having seen season 1. The cast is completely new except Bean and there's a new showrunner and writing staff.

And as I mentioned Morris Chestnut does guest star. He's the only character that returned from season 1, but his appearance isn't really a deal breaker as far as plot goes.

Some of the plot was a little hard to follow. The show and writing feel very British. I did get that Odum is in London trying to track down elements of his dark past.
Old 11-06-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

VUDU is giving the first two episodes away for free. TNT is desperate to make this show succeed.

Legends is a show I might watch if it came on in the summer but it has no chance during a stacked November sweeps.
Old 11-06-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm going to try and find a way to squeeze this show in. I enjoyed the first season but I wish it was a summer show.
Old 11-09-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

We'll see how well this does, but in my experience total cast deletion never improves ratings.
Old 01-02-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I watched the final episode separate of the other two episodes that ran with it, which was probably a very good thing. I found the last episode very fulfilling as it played like the last few chapters of a novel pulling the story all together. This version of the show was far too complex, -the opposite of the first season, -for a large audience, and even I got lost occasionally in all the flash-backs, flash-forwards, and multiple time-lines (I frankly lost count). The style of the show works in novels but is hard to follow in a television format. Much of the finale is a series of revelations, showing you scenes that give a different context to the storylines you've been watching, and, of course, a lot of it is quite sad. It even ends on a note that is much like a novel in a "Spy" series, -its complete (but not all the endings are tidy or happy), but you can see where the next chapter starts. A strong end for a doomed series.
Old 01-05-16, 10:23 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better than season 1 although much more complicated. Initially I didn't think I like the overhaul. But the series became more engrossing by the episode. Stick with it to the end and the payoff proved to be much bigger than in season 1, too. One of the best series of 2015.
Old 01-06-16, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed both seasons. I would have prefered the storyline to be related to season one but they did something decent at least. Sad to see this go.
Old 01-06-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought the last couple of episodes dragged a bit but the conclusion was satisfying.
Old 02-22-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Just finished this. Thought it was a terrific season. Too bad they did not have this format right from the beginning. It was very engrossing and came together really really well in the end. Certain reactions and plot details early in the season which seemed out of place were given much more meaning by the end. Really terrific.