Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

The music in the show felt like I was watching the Olympics. I don't know, when you watch a show like this you want the score to be where it feels like you are in a different universe because its a superhero.
Old 10-28-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I think TV producers can learn that by 2015, they can do TV shows with strong female characters without having to be pandering to the audience. For example, Xena was a strong female character, but she didn't have to repeat over and over that just because she is a woman doesn't mean she isn't strong. The same with other TV shows like La Femme Nikita, or the Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. That is the main problem with Supergirl so far, besides the character being ridiculously stereotypical (bitchy boss, friend zone friend, attractive male colleague, overprotective and sketchy step sister, etc., dickhead bigot government official).
Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Yea that overt "because she's a girl" jargon was too much. Especially when that director guy said "she's not strong enough." And the sister said sarcastically, "because she's a girl?"

Um no, he said that because at the time, she was losing the fight. It's as simple as that.
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I thought the same thing. That line came across as someone looking to be offended. I was thinking, nope, it was just possible someone else is stronger.

Hopefully they tone that down. I have seen many shows with strong female leads that never felt the need to do that.
Its like you all are in my head. Too much try-hard grrrl power. Outside of those wince inducing moments, I dug this. Added to the Amazon sub list.
Old 10-28-15, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I think TV producers can learn that by 2015, they can do TV shows with strong female characters without having to be pandering to the audience. For example, Xena was a strong female character, but she didn't have to repeat over and over that just because she is a woman doesn't mean she isn't strong. The same with other TV shows like La Femme Nikita, or the Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. That is the main problem with Supergirl so far, besides the character being ridiculously stereotypical (bitchy boss, friend zone friend, attractive male colleague, overprotective and sketchy step sister, etc., dickhead bigot government official).
Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Yea that overt "because she's a girl" jargon was too much. Especially when that director guy said "she's not strong enough." And the sister said sarcastically, "because she's a girl?"

Um no, he said that because at the time, she was losing the fight. It's as simple as that.
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I thought the same thing. That line came across as someone looking to be offended. I was thinking, nope, it was just possible someone else is stronger.

Hopefully they tone that down. I have seen many shows with strong female leads that never felt the need to do that.
i eagerly await such scintillating dialogue as "girls rule boys drool" and the recipe for little boys. i hope they drop this affectation soon.

the saving grace is Benoist and her entire manner. watching her is a revelation somewhere between a young Meryl Streep and a pre fappening Jennifer Lawrence. she has all the makings of a supernova star and causes the screen to positively glow (although that may be due to my watching on a cathode TV).
Old 10-28-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
Why didn't Superman hide Kara's spaceship in the Fortress of Solitude?
Because then the show would have needed to built an entire set for a character they really can't use. A lot of the pilot and Kara's story seems to have been fashioned so they can keep Superman away as much as possible.

I have a hunch we won't ever get close-ups of Superman in costume, but I wonder if Clark Kent ever shows up.
Old 10-28-15, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if anyone will notice that Kara and Supergirl both have a dimple by their eyebrow.
Old 10-28-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I wonder if anyone will notice that Kara and Supergirl both have a dimple by their eyebrow.
No one, including Jeb Bush, is looking at her eyebrows.
Old 10-28-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i eagerly await such scintillating dialogue as "girls rule boys drool" and the recipe for little boys. i hope they drop this affectation soon.

the saving grace is Benoist and her entire manner. watching her is a revelation somewhere between a young Meryl Streep and a pre fappening Jennifer Lawrence. she has all the makings of a supernova star and causes the screen to positively glow (although that may be due to my watching on a cathode TV).
So a post-fappening Melissa Benoist is like a pre-fappening JLaw?
Old 10-28-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they've struck the right chord with Supergirl's personality. They never really explained why a Kryptonian on Earth would not use their powers for most of their formative years but it's something I can overlook.
Old 10-28-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

She has a scar right between her brows.

BTW I saw the leaked pilot and never for a second thought that guy was gay.
Aired version was the same thing I saw in the leak
Old 10-28-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched the premiere. I like the lead, but that's about it.

Some things that I didn't care for have already been mentioned.

The over the top girl power stuff. I really wish it was more show and less tell/lecture on that front. I'm reminded of something I read that was attributed to Ridley Scott on the subject of Ripley being a female lead in Aliens: Relative to the difference between the xenomorphs and humans, the difference in gender for humans is negligible. Only in this case it's the reverse. It makes all this "Because she's a girl?!?" stuff seem ridiculous.

On a related issue, you would think one of the things they would modernize to make the story more feminist friendly would be to tweak the origin story so that she wasn't sent to earth just because Kal-el needed a babysitter.

The obvious dodges about he who must not be named was annoying, as was the utter lack of info on his involvement in her life. The reveal of the super criminals, who all want to harm her, only makes it more baffling, and that extends to her sister's decision to keep that very vital info a secret from her as well.

I really didn't like how the fight was handled. Was the master plan really to have the only weapon/power source that has ever caused her pain/injury to explode right in her face? The heat vision looked great, so I guess it had that.

Also Jimmy Olsen came off as creepy to me, but I know the young female demo eats up the confident older man love interest. Maybe it's because Kara seemed much younger than she's supposed to be because everyone treats her as a child. I was a bit surprised that she was even of drinking age.
Old 10-28-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They never really explained why a Kryptonian on Earth would not use their powers for most of their formative years but it's something I can overlook.
Pretty sure Jonathan Kent has covered that in every medium, not to mention every episode of Smallville.
Old 10-29-15, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Watched the pilot. It's ok, I guess. The whole concept seems kind of corny. The bar is being set pretty high for this type of stuff, and this felt like a first-run syndication show from the mid 90's. I'll probably DVR and catch up with it if I hear that it gets better.

Oh, and this.

I was hoping Kara would choose that custome.
Dang, Melissa sure is a cutie.

I though this was a decent opener to a series.
They cover alot of ground.
Although already too many people know that Kara is Supergirl.
Old 10-29-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty sure Jonathan Kent has covered that in every medium, not to mention every episode of Smallville.
They hinted there might be something to the story of why she is hiding. THere were several off hand comments like "it's been a long time since I flew", things like that.

For the people claiming it was total "girl power". well Supergirl is a girl so you cannot expect her to be some total butch MMA fighter, the character is what it is, and I thought at least for the first episode it was pretty balanced, actually. We will see how that element plays out in future episodes.
Old 10-29-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
They hinted there might be something to the story of why she is hiding. THere were several off hand comments like "it's been a long time since I flew", things like that.

For the people claiming it was total "girl power". well Supergirl is a girl so you cannot expect her to be some total butch MMA fighter, the character is what it is, and I thought at least for the first episode it was pretty balanced, actually. We will see how that element plays out in future episodes.
I personally found her more intriguing as the nerd instead of a Ronda Rousey type. I find Rousey sexy but there wouldn't be enough difference between the superhero and the alter ego
Old 10-29-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ronda Rousey as a superheroine would be Powergirl. A lot different personality than Kara.
Old 10-29-15, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ronda Rousey as a superheroine would be Powergirl. A lot different personality than Kara.
9/11 Conspiracy Theory Powergirl.
Old 10-29-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched the official version. Didn't notice any changes myself.

One thing i noticed and couldn't unnotice is she has earrings. How would that be possible? No thin metal would pierce her ears. Also her ears would heal.
Old 10-29-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Really? So they're magnetic.
Old 10-29-15, 11:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
The over the top girl power stuff.
This, And the tone of the show with the magazine company where she works works, the bitchy boss, make it seem more like a lifetime network show, like The Client List; or that show where a fat girl's soul gets into a thin girls body.
Old 10-30-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

@ a bunch of Males having an issue with the "girl power" aspect of a show called Supergirl. Maybe that wasn't meant for you guys?
Old 10-30-15, 04:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
@ a bunch of Males having an issue with the "girl power" aspect of a show called Supergirl. Maybe that wasn't meant for you guys?
The question is, what age girl power are we talking about? If it's girl power as viewed in the eyes of 10-14 year old girls, then yes, this show is appropriate, but it also means the show is for < 15 year olds.
If we are talking about girl power for > 16 year olds, then this show is asinine. Other shows have done it much much better, in a teenage setting: Buffy, Veronica Mars. Chloe from Smallville.

Finally, what are the odds of a comic-book character show surviving without the male demographic?
Old 10-30-15, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Watched the official version. Didn't notice any changes myself.

One thing i noticed and couldn't unnotice is she has earrings. How would that be possible? No thin metal would pierce her ears. Also her ears would heal.

Superman could shave so anything is possible.

Kryptonite tipped earrings? Magic ones? Who knows? In the comics anything is possible.
Old 10-30-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I mean seriously. Yeah there was some cheesy moments, but saying this show is too girly? For crying out loud, it's about a nerdy 24 year old girl, who's an Executive Assistant and now a super hero. I don't need her to be a badass MMA fighter like Ronda Rousey or like White Canary. She's young, naive and will make mistakes. Nothing wrong with keeping her femininity. We'll see how things go on Monday, but it was a promising, although rushed start.
Old 10-30-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I wonder why there was never a panel in the comics showing Superman chewing off his toenails since that would have been the only way to trim them?
Old 10-30-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say the issue is less about the "girl power" theme in general, but how blunt and goofy it comes off when you have lines like the before mentioned one from her sister about being a girl which comes out of absolutely no where and unwarranted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.