Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Affair (Showtime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 10/4/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: The Affair (Showtime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 10/4/15

So Noah's just a habitual cheater? Although, that Eden is so hot, it's tough to blame him.
Old 11-24-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I find Helen hot. Much hotter than Allison in my opinion.

So...is it Noah's kid? Anybody have guesses on how this is going to play out? How many more episodes are left?
Old 11-25-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The scary thing is I actually knew people like Whitney in high school. They were the definition of the 'C' word, as one girl I grew up with used to talk back to her mom and her mom would just take it for some reason instead of giving her a nice smack in the face.

I actually think they should play up that Noah's cheating, maybe even a flashback to him cheating on Helen sometime in their marriage before. It would make more sense as it would show that the guy is mostly about himself and now he is finally got the recognition which will make him ever more arrogant.
Old 11-25-15, 08:16 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I find Helen hot. Much hotter than Allison in my opinion.

So...is it Noah's kid? Anybody have guesses on how this is going to play out? How many more episodes are left?
Mauria Tierney is just a beautiful woman. She has an average quality about her, but there is something so interesting about her look.

I think it is Cole's kid. The thing with the brother saying "our baby" I think is just in reference to the "curse" the mother talked about and how the Lockheart's finally have a new child. It is the family's baby.

There are 12 episodes this season.
Old 11-25-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if he ever cheated before, but he definitely thought about it. Remember in the pilot episode, when he left to go swimming in the morning? Some woman saw him swimming (without his ring) and smiled at him and you could tell he was interested. Then he saw her afterwards and she saw his ring on and she blew him off. You could tell he was disappointed. They introduced his character as being likely to stray.
Old 11-25-15, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Mauria Tierney is just a beautiful woman. She has an average quality about her, but there is something so interesting about her look.
I've always thought Maura Tierney's looks were underrated in Hollywood. In fact I always thought her acting was underrated too. She is not drop dead gorgeous, but she has that girl next door looks, but much prettier.
Old 11-25-15, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by coli
I've always thought Maura Tierney's looks were underrated in Hollywood. In fact I always thought her acting was underrated too. She is not drop dead gorgeous, but she has that girl next door looks, but much prettier.
She has been incredible this season. She'll definitely be up for a GG and Emmy.
Old 12-01-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Okay, I get that it's more difficult to write modern-day stories where cell phones can prevent a lot of drama (Die Hard would've been over in minutes if they had cell phones), but to have Noah drop his cell in his car and not get it while it's ringing - men with pregnant wives will not leave their cells behind, heck it would get picked up the instant he dropped it. Lazy writing.

And what's with this party, where both his friend and daughter just happen there? Both behaving uncharacteristically? And my god, that whole giving birth sequence would not let up! Why were they trying create bullshit tension with that, as if it's going to be born dead or something, when they've already shown the baby in flash-forward scenes? So weird!

Also, why did they ditch the whole specific character perspective thing this episode?
Old 12-01-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
And my god, that whole giving birth sequence would not let up! Why were they trying create bullshit tension with that, as if it's going to be born dead or something, when they've already shown the baby in flash-forward scenes? So weird!
I thought the whole point of that scene was to hammer home that Cole is the father of the baby. They way they intercut the scene it made it seem like it was affecting him.
Old 12-01-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was weird that they just suddenly abandoned the character POV.

This episode was fucking intense though. I wanted it over. It was such a tense bummer (but I loved it!).

slop101's point about the cell phone bugged me though too. There is no way any expectant father is leaving his cell phone behind and then partying for hours without ever bothering to check on his pregnant partner. He's a dick but no one is that much of a dick.

It was awesome that Whitney was there.

As for Maura Tierney, I always thought that was the weakest casting decision. She's not that attractive and the scenes with Max and the doctor just aren't that believable. She's a cute mom type but she does that weird thing with her lips and contorts her face. Strange looking.
Old 12-01-15, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And what's with this party, where both his friend and daughter just happen there? Both behaving uncharacteristically? And my god, that whole giving birth sequence would not let up! Why were they trying create bullshit tension with that, as if it's going to be born dead or something, when they've already shown the baby in flash-forward scenes? So weird!

Also, why did they ditch the whole specific character perspective thing this episode?
Yeah, the daughter father naked in the same party is at the Korean drama crazy writing level. I didn't particularly care for that. I thought only the Koreans employ such sensationalistic stun. And that entire last 5 mins of the episode just dragged on. I thought they have done a really good job keeping the entire series on a pretty good pace. My god, the birth sequence almost made me give up on the entire series bad.

Although, I don't think they ditch the whole character perspective per se. The episode did start with Helen's perspective and ended with Noah. It just wasn't clearly cut off.
Old 12-01-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I assumed the character perspective was dropped so the episode could show how each character's life changed on the same day of the hurricane.
Old 12-01-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they've established pretty well that Noah's not really the Good Father Figure character. He's more after the fame, fortune and attention. They even showed the "Do you really want this baby?" scene from a previous episode to drive the point home.

Who the fuck doesn't follow Eden within 5 minutes of her saying so and instead roams around dazed around a party? That was a great moment though with him getting in the tub to find Whitney.
Old 12-01-15, 01:41 PM

Talk about a buzz kill.
Old 12-01-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Yeah, the daughter father naked in the same party is at the Korean drama crazy writing level. I didn't particularly care for that. I thought only the Koreans employ such sensationalistic stun. And that entire last 5 mins of the episode just dragged on. I thought they have done a really good job keeping the entire series on a pretty good pace. My god, the birth sequence almost made me give up on the entire series bad.

Although, I don't think they ditch the whole character perspective per se. The episode did start with Helen's perspective and ended with Noah. It just wasn't clearly cut off.
What was the problem with the birth scene? I thought it was done perfectly for maximum tension. And the show ended with Alison in the hospital room, not Noah.

I've never seen a Korean drama but the Noah/Whitney scene was great to show how far Noah has gone over the edge.

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I think they've established pretty well that Noah's not really the Good Father Figure character. He's more after the fame, fortune and attention. They even showed the "Do you really want this baby?" scene from a previous episode to drive the point home.

Who the fuck doesn't follow Eden within 5 minutes of her saying so and instead roams around dazed around a party? That was a great moment though with him getting in the tub to find Whitney.
Didn't Eden say she had to do something and to meet her in 15 minutes? I didn't catch exactly what she said.
Old 12-01-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
What was the problem with the birth scene? I thought it was done perfectly for maximum tension. And the show ended with Alison in the hospital room, not Noah.
The thing I thought was ridiculous about the birth scene was how there was this one lone doctor who apparently had no other patients or anything to do other than hang out with Alison all night. She even had to call out for a nurse at one point! It should have been the other way around. The doctor usually only comes in right at the end while a nurse is more present.
Old 12-01-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I agree with the above post about Max's uncharacteristic behavior- I'll chalk it up to him being drunk/high/both. Sure he's abrasive, but he wouldn't purposely try to interrupt a legitimate opportunity for Noah, or be a dick about the 50k. Although I'm not clear on whether Noah knows he was with Helen semi-recently.
Old 12-02-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Noah, father of the year nominee..

yikes...

solid ep, with a crazy ending...
Old 12-02-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I assumed the character perspective was dropped so the episode could show how each character's life changed on the same day of the hurricane.
According to the show's creator on Twitter: "A small point of clarification - last night's ep was not perspective-less. That will never happen on this show. We just didn't label them."

https://twitter.com/SarahTreem/statu...67660249083904
Old 12-02-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's interesting.

So just maybe Noah imagined that part with Whitney.

Hopefully.
Old 12-02-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the episode. I was annoyed that it pulled "magic" into the show suddenly for no reason. It's like the writer just binged watched Vikings and fell in love with the idea cramming as much supernatural nonsense as they can think up.
Old 12-02-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
That's interesting.

So just maybe Noah imagined that part with Whitney.

Hopefully.
That would make sense.
Old 12-02-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The perspective thing also makes the part with Cole standing in the middle of a burning house seem a bit more believable.
Old 12-03-15, 06:35 AM

Probably the best episode of the 2 seasons so far.

-I took Allison seeing one person in the delivery room as an abandonment by Noah so she felt scared and alone. I bet there were normal amount of doctors/nurses at her birth, but her interpretation was being alone, and the 1 person delivering the baby was a metaphor.

-I don't think Noah's daughter was at the party, as I think he was so coked up he envisioned her there. Maybe that a metaphor for him hitting rock bottom or something, but it seemed like that was a low point once he saw his phone messages that Allison was having the baby.

-I do like the end when Allison didn't want Noah coming in the room to see the baby as that was another metaphor that he may not be the father after she was asked that the father of the baby was here?
Old 12-03-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

In light of the perspective information, I guess the Max interaction makes sense then. And that the hollywood producer was so interested in his original ending, making a movie, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.