Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Leftovers (S2E01) -- "Axis Mundi" -- 10/04/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Leftovers (S2E01) -- "Axis Mundi" -- 10/04/15

Jarden, Texas was renamed "Miracle" after it was discovered that no one had departed. The town has since become a magnet for tourists and people who are convinced it is special and can keep them safe. Among the local families is the Murphys: the father, John (Kevin Carroll), the mother, Erika (Regina King), and their twins, Evie (Jasmin Savoy Brown) and Michael (Jovan Adepo). While trying to protect his town from frauds and charlatans, John gets an ominous warning from a man who claims to have psychic powers. Soon afterwards, Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux), Nora Durst (Carrie Coon) and Jill Garvey (Margaret Qualley) show up in Miracle. This newly formed "family" left Mapleton to start over, but Kevin cannot seem to escape his past. The Murphy family and Kevin subsequently experience a mysterious event that will that change their lives forever.

Written by Damon Lindelof & Jacqueline Hoyt; directed by Mimi Leder.

10 episode 2nd season

Funny how this was one of the most disliked 1st season shows in this forum. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new change of scenery impacts the show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e9RlsD8lIO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts
Re: The Leftovers (S2E01) -- "Axis Mundi" -- 10/04/15

Originally Posted by DJariya

Funny how this was one of the most disliked 1st season shows in this forum. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new change of scenery impacts the show.
Especially considering 90% of the shows talked about on these forums are awful.
Old 10-04-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I liked the first season. It's a tough show to watch but I thought it payed off in the end.
Old 10-04-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was almost sure that the first season aired in 2013. It seems like a long time ago.
Old 10-04-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Even though I wasn't impressed with S1, I'll give S2 a try because the show pretty much left off where the book ended - so maybe the writers can get really creative now.
Old 10-04-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So the plans are to alienate the few viewers who enjoyed Season 1 by pretty much scrapping everything and starting over with some (but not all) of the same characters in a new location? Yeah, this kind of thing ALWAYS works for TV shows.

I'm going to watch, but not live...I'll probably check it out later this week. I didn't HATE Season 1, but it sure had that "going nowhere" feeling about it, despite some good acting and a few interesting storylines.
Old 10-04-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I liked season 1
Old 10-04-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I honestly don't know any other way to say this.........that was likely the worst hour of scripted television I've ever seen on HBO. Holy hell. Atrocious on every level.....and I was one of the few who liked season 1.
Old 10-05-15, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I'll be happy as long as we get chicks running around naked through the woods every week.

Maybe Jill will join them.
Old 10-05-15, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I honestly don't know any other way to say this.........that was likely the worst hour of scripted television I've ever seen on HBO. Holy hell. Atrocious on every level.....and I was one of the few who liked season 1.
Haven't watched the episode yet, but I liked season 1 as well. That doesn't sound promising...
Old 10-05-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I think I said the same thing in the thread for the pilot after I watched it, and I think it applies to S2E01 too: I'm not sure what I just watched, but I think I like it.
Old 10-05-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought it was a good reboot of the premise. Everyone wanted a show that was less melancholy than the first season, well here you go!

Also, #CousinLarryLives
Old 10-05-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it.

The cold open kind of reminded me of the Lost episode "Across the Sea"

Lindelof is the man.
Old 10-05-15, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed it. But I love fucked up things like that opening. Most messed up show since John from Cincinnati.
Old 10-05-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

It started off weird but midway into this ep i was totally wanting to find out more about the new characters. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Old 10-05-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm not sure why we needed to see that opening. What was the point to it?

Throughout the episode I felt like I was watching a Final Destination movie... was just waiting for something bad/gruesome to happen.

Didn't love the episode, but it didn't make me run screaming in the opposite direction either. Too early to tell if S2 is worth sticking it out.
Old 10-05-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I've ever audibly said "what the fuck?" so many times in one hour of TV before. That was just bizarre... and I think I liked it?
Old 10-05-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You spend the first 10 minutes of the new season of a show that, as you've talked about, was incredibly divisive, with this gonzo sequence that has lots thematically but little plotwise to do with the story of last year. Why did you decide that this is how you wanted season 2 to open?

Damon Lindelof: (audible sigh)

"Audible sigh" again.

It felt right. That wasn’t an idea that came out of thin air. It started in a very organic way, and I don’t want to demystify the process by saying, "So and so said this, and then so and so said that." But once we started talking about it, there were ideas that were swirling around season 2, then it was like, "Okay, so where do we begin?" And Perrotta made the joke: "Well, the show is going to start with 'Previously, on "The Leftovers."' How previously should we get?" And that was the idea that we locked in on. I think that we were talking a lot about Peter Weir movies, particularly "Hanging Rock" and "Last Wave." We were talking a lot about Haneke movies, particularly "Cache" and "White Ribbon." And we were talking about Coen brothers movies, particularly "A Serious Man," which has an opening that is very similar to what you just described, which is everything is thematically locked in but it seems completely and total disconnected story wise. Like, if you’re watching "A Serious Man," when’s the Golem going to show up? You’re just not understanding what they’re going for there. So all those things were swirling in our collective imagination, and then we had this amazing consultant Reza Aslan, who is this religious scholar who is also a believer, and he was around a lot and we were talking about axis mundi — which became the title of the first episode — what that meant and how it related to the Jarden, Texas, And he was talking all about a lot of ancient cultures and the birth of religion and what it was like for us now — what it takes for an event to be religious, but before the idea of understanding, every event was religious if you attached meaning to it. And we wondered, "How do we show all this stuff that we're getting excited about?" And that was our answer.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...71TutQ4sxEj.99
Old 10-05-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, it reminded me of A Serious Man's intro, and I support a show like this kind of doing its own thing. I just don't have much faith in Lindelof that anything will actually conclude satisfyingly, and he comes off as a pompous ass.
Old 10-05-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

WTF was up with the guy that dragged the goat into the diner and slit its throat? And everyone pretty much accepted it like it was no big thing.

And what was up with the young girls running naked through the woods? Was that something that really happened or some kind of imaginary sequence?

Anyone get a very disturbing vibe between the father and the daughter (Evie?)? Some kind of flirtmance at the very least going on there.

Was that bird in the box supposed to have been brought back from the dead?

So was it that no one within the town borders during the moment of the departure disappeared? Or no one who lived in that town disappeared even if they were outside of the town when it happened.
Old 10-06-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Doesn't the bible say to slaughter a goat as offering? I took that scene as the town really living by the book after they were "spared".
Old 10-06-15, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I have a theory, which is probably wrong, but the lake seems to be important.

What if the lake, or something in it, was what prevented people living in Jarden from poofing? And then, when the lake was gone, the people who would have disappeared on 10-14 then disappeared?

One thing that sort of baffled me about the first season was that nobody seemed to be worried about a second mass disappearance occurring. They were acting weird and joining cults, but nobody seemed to entertain the possibility that it could happen again at any given moment. I would think people would be flocking to Jarden en masse. And the property values would be so high that there's no way the Garveys could afford to move there.
Old 10-06-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here we go again, this show is confounding and yet I still watch..
Old 10-10-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I really liked season 1, and this first episode of season 2 did not disappoint. I was a little "WTF?" during the opening, but I like that this show does weird things like that.

Oh yeah, one thing I hated: That title credits sequence and song felt really wrong for this show. The lyrics may be relevant, but the music and vocals were just not right. And the visuals during the credits--the photographs with people missing and their spaces filled in with other backgrounds--looks trite. I hope that was just a one-off sequence for the opener, but I fear we will see/hear it every week.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One thing that sort of baffled me about the first season was that nobody seemed to be worried about a second mass disappearance occurring. They were acting weird and joining cults, but nobody seemed to entertain the possibility that it could happen again at any given moment.
Well, at the beginning of season 1 it had been 3 years since The Departure. People can become complacent very quickly again after a crisis has passed. And, as you mention, plenty of people changed their entire lives based on what happened. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do believe there could be another departure.

I would think people would be flocking to Jarden en masse. And the property values would be so high that there's no way the Garveys could afford to move there.
This episode did indicate that it wasn't easy to move there. We saw some out-of-towners being rounded up and kicked out by the police, and when Nora was talking with the father, she mentioned that they were able to get the house because her brother was already in town. I imagine we may find out more about that in the future.

So what is up with the new guy, the father? He seems to be somehow in charge of sussing out frauds and meting out punishment to them. Are we supposed to think he has some kind of 'gift' for seeing through people's lies? He seemed to immediately feel that Matt, the preacher, was not on the level. He looked at his firemen buddies at the church like, "We're going to have to deal with this dude."

Yeah, the goat sacrifice in the restaurant was really strange. And that big glass box in the street over the crevice?

I kinda think the girls will turn up okay somewhere.
Old 10-10-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

That's what I forgot to post: yeah, the new title sequence is TERRIBLE!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.