Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

I wonder how the butter device works in practice. I bet it's a mess and needs constant cleaning.
Old 10-15-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Same here, but Laurie was right that it didn't need to be stainless steel. Make a plastic version for $49 on sale and they'll sell a ton. Would make a great Christmas gift.
Plastic and butter make terrible bedmates.
Old 10-15-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wonder how the butter device works in practice. I bet it's a mess and needs constant cleaning.
if i had to guess, it's a stainless steel reservoir that you put the butter in. my guess is the only things to clean are the reservoir and the nozzle.
Old 10-15-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought I was hallucinating when I watched Daymond John spray himself with watermelon scented water.
Old 10-15-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Plastic and butter make terrible bedmates.
You kinky fool.
Old 11-01-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

https://consumerist.com/2016/11/01/i...brands-photos/

In case you needed more shopping temptation in your daily social media feeds, Instagram is now testing a new feature that helps users buy the products that they see in brands’ photos.

Next week Instagram will be rolling out a test of shoppable photo tags to some iOS users. Instagram’s partner brands — a list of 20 that currently includes Warby Parker, Kate Spade, Macy’s, and Coach, among others — tag items in their photos, which are only visible if you tap the tag button.

“Each post will have a tap to view icon at the bottom left of a photo. When tapped, a tag will appear on various products in the post—showcasing up to five products and their prices,” Instagram explains. “Once a tag is selected a new detailed view of the product will open.”

katespade-2
This way, shoppers never have to leave Instagram to search for more information on what they’re seeing.

“We’ve seen pretty good progress in mobile on making purchases easier,” Vishal Shah, Instagram’s head of product management for monetization, told Recode. “But these two things — discovery and the actual purchase — are just not well-connected like happens in physical stores.”

“We want to give people tools to make it as easy as possible, but not be in your face,” she adds.
So the Sharks were right to pass on that app last year that did the same thing
Old 11-05-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure having six sharks at once adds anything. The pitch reaction process takes much longer and the discussion seems more edited.

You can tell the Sharks are getting pickier about which businesses they want. The smaller business models had better chances in the earlier seasons. Since Cuban has been added every shark wants a business with mega-potential for market growth.
Old 01-13-17, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, add Mama's MilkBox woman to the list of worst pitches ever. The business isn't a bad idea in theory, but her complete inability to accept any constructive criticism or accept that anything she was doing was wrong (she's bought $120,000 in product, is $60,000 in debt, and has made $80,000.) You could tell she was ready for a home run, and she ends up literally comatose on the floor instead.
Old 01-15-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Wow, add Mama's MilkBox woman to the list of worst pitches ever. The business isn't a bad idea in theory, but her complete inability to accept any constructive criticism or accept that anything she was doing was wrong (she's bought $120,000 in product, is $60,000 in debt, and has made $80,000.) You could tell she was ready for a home run, and she ends up literally comatose on the floor instead.
That woman, by the way, is the perfect example of how half the women in my hometown (Pittsburgh) act...which may explain why I'm single (happily!).
Old 01-15-17, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That woman, by the way, is the perfect example of how half the women in my hometown (Pittsburgh) act...which may explain why I'm single (happily!).
Yes, that explains it.
Old 01-15-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 696 Posts

I guess they are tired of inflated evaluations because Mr. Wonderful and Mark's statements to the Yoga girl seemed a little harsh.
Old 01-15-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I didn't watch yet. But I totally know what you mean. Pittsburgh women are their own thing. Like a Jersey Girl.
Old 01-15-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chances are, O'Leary will jump ship soon, as he's rumoured to be throwing his hat into the ring for the Conservative leadership up here in Canada. He has little chance of winning, but we all said that about Strumpf a year ago, and look where that got us.
Old 01-16-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I didn't watch yet. But I totally know what you mean. Pittsburgh women are their own thing. Like a Jersey Girl.
Yes. This. The "entitled" persona. It's a huge turn-off.
Old 02-04-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was surprised so many sharks threw an offer at the portable shower device, though a couple had outrageous terms.

I'm not sure how Kevin O'Leary's jump into Canadian politics will affect his appearances on Shark Tank. Apparently he's begun campaigning.
Old 02-05-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

O'Leary participated in a Conservative Party debate yesterday. There are currently 14 contenders, but they will soon be whittled down. Since it comes down to nothing more than name recognition for so many of these morons, he has had a substantial lead in the polls ever since he announced.
Old 02-05-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

O'Leary strikes me as just as big of an asshole as Trump, but considerably smarter and far less crazy.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-06-17 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 12:30 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
O'Leary strikes as just as big of an asshole as Trump, but considerably smarter and far less crazy.
And literate?
Old 02-06-17, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

O'Leary strikes as just as big of an asshole as Trump, but considerably smarter and far less crazy.
I don't disagree, necessarily, but he has zero political experience, which I guess counts as a plus these days, and his economic views (such as they are known) are reprehensible.
Old 02-06-17, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I don't disagree, necessarily, but he has zero political experience, which I guess counts as a plus these days, and his economic views (such as they are known) are reprehensible.
Ergo, the "asshole."
Old 02-06-17, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

O'Leary strikes me as just as big of an asshole as Trump, but considerably smarter and far less crazy.
He seems like a pretty decent guy to me. Much of that ribbing he gets on-air is good-natured.
Old 02-06-17, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He seems like a pretty decent guy to me. Much of that ribbing he gets on-air is good-natured. Mark Cuban is the one I think is probably a bigger jerk in private than his public persona.
Old 02-06-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Maybe the government can use a member of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin
Old 02-06-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

O'Leary is playing a villain role on Shark Tank, I don't think it reflects his actual personality very much.
Old 02-06-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ergo, the "asshole."
I guess what I was quibbling with a bit was your characterization of him as far smarter and less crazy than Trump. Trump is no dummy. He's just utterly incurious about anything that doesn't directly involve him, which is why he's such a perfect marionette for someone like Bannon. O'Leary is no scholar, but he likes to present himself as an urbane renaissance man. I don't think he's as dangerous or irrational as Trump, but his narcissism is comparable.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
O'Leary is playing a villain role on Shark Tank, I don't think it reflects his actual personality very much.
Look, he's probably agreeable on a neutral one-on-one basis, and Trump probably is as well. But let me remind you of this little nugget of magnanimous, communitarian ideology from a few years ago:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U79DoiC49r0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Also, Arlene Dickinson, who was on the "Dragon's Den" (Canadian precursor to Shark Tank) panel with O'Leary for 7-8 years, is highly critical of him as a person, saying he is the same uncaring individual in real life as he is on television. She would know him very well, and, as a businesswoman, she's no Marxist.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EtWX7ZYl-pQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
She also wrote an opinion piece about him for CBC.ca:
...Kevin's total lack of empathy toward these Canadians who put their heart and soul on the line, I can assure you, was genuine.

Kevin is funny. I often enjoyed a glass of wine with him. He's also intelligent and a savvy self-promoter. But at his core, he's an opportunist. He doesn't do anything that doesn't offer a path to power, fame or fortune — and that should have us all afraid.

He's the business community's worst spokesperson. Why? Because he represents capitalism in its very worst form — a soulless system that bases decisions solely on dollars and cents, profit and margin...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.