Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 721 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

He is, yeah. Something like 3-4b when all the others are millionaires. The Mavs alone are worth more than the other sharks.
Old 12-08-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

I think the only richer shark on the show has been the Uber guy that's invested all over Silicon Valley.
Old 12-08-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think the only richer shark on the show has been the Uber guy that's invested all over Silicon Valley.
Chris Sacca? He is only worth about 1.2 billion. Cuban has him beat by a long shot.
Old 12-08-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Chris Sacca? He is only worth about 1.2 billion. Cuban has him beat by a long shot.
Well, at least he can say...

Old 12-10-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

That pimple thing was totally bizarre. I can't believe that pimple videos are a thing. And yet they got a deal with Kevin and an offer from Cuban.
Old 12-12-18, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

This show is too predictable now. Most entrepreneurs come on with an insane evaluation looking more for national exposure then actually selling their product.
Old 12-12-18, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
This show is too predictable now. Most entrepreneurs come on with an insane evaluation looking more for national exposure then actually selling their product.
Well, it's pretty much been that way since Season 3 or 4. Remember, the producers pick who the sharks see, so they only have themselves to blame.

I'm glad to see that some of these entrepreneurs considering doing deals with Mr. Wonderful for a change. Cuban (who has the most money to play with by far), I've heard, simply invests on a whim and then sells off his percentage later - I'd rather have a shark who would actually stick with my company long term, the way Kevin and Robert seem to do.
Old 04-18-19, 02:32 PM
Banned

Did anyone catch the guys with the smart lock last week? Best pitch ever.

FYI- There's a part III thread, everyone is still posting in II.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-18-19 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Did anyone catch the guys with the smart lock pitch last week? Best pitch ever.
I can't remember whether or not they got a deal. I didn't find the gadget particularly viable-looking or groundbreaking. Floor-mounted police locks have been around for more than a century, and repel intruders better than that Smart Lock gizmo, I would venture to say. When the guy was kicking the door outfitted with his lock, having given up in exhaustion on the one with the regular old deadbolt, I saw the door buckling towards the middle and top.
The entire pitch was not very persuasive, but it was hilarious. They should take that on the road as a comedy act.
Old 04-18-19, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I can't remember whether or not they got a deal. I didn't find the gadget particularly viable-looking or groundbreaking. Floor-mounted police locks have been around for more than a century, and repel intruders better than that Smart Lock gizmo, I would venture to say. When the guy was kicking the door outfitted with his lock, having given up in exhaustion on the one with the regular old deadbolt, I saw the door buckling towards the middle and top.
The entire pitch was not very persuasive, but it was hilarious. They should take that on the road as a comedy act.
They walked away from an offer.

I want to know the deadbolt they used. The lock held just fine, the doorframe eventually broke after he did a flying kick.
Old 04-18-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I see, thanks. Yeah, the guy finally broke through, but he was left panting so heavily, he could hardly speak.
Old 04-19-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The cap guy amazed me...amazed me that he was able to make that much money off a stupid item. I've been turning bottles upside down all my life - whether designed to or not - 99 percent of them don't leak, so why this was ever a "need," I have no idea.
Old 04-19-19, 06:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The cap guy amazed me...amazed me that he was able to make that much money off a stupid item. I've been turning bottles upside down all my life - whether designed to or not - 99 percent of them don't leak, so why this was ever a "need," I have no idea.
Its all for drama. I'd really be interested in finding out how many of the "deals" made on the show actually go through or don't have the terms changed.
Old 04-19-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen a chart that about half of all agreed deals by the sharks don't go through to completion. They actually tracked it by each Shark. Some sharks have a better rate at actually finishing the deal. The show has had a few huge success stories but most of them fail like any other business.
Old 04-19-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've seen a chart that about half of all agreed deals by the sharks don't go through to completion. They actually tracked it by each Shark. Some sharks have a better rate at actually finishing the deal. The show has had a few huge success stories but most of them fail like any other business.
That's intriguing. Is there an analysis somewhere of the most and least successful of the Sharks, as far as number of deals, total value of deals, how successful or unsuccessful the businesses they invest in are, etc.?
Old 04-20-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
That's intriguing. Is there an analysis somewhere of the most and least successful of the Sharks, as far as number of deals, total value of deals, how successful or unsuccessful the businesses they invest in are, etc.?
It has to be out there somewhere on the net - I saw a professionally-done infographic with all that info. It may have been a WSJ article.

The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (12-12-21)
Old 11-05-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

Anyone see the November 3rd episode with the EZC Doctor?

I thought Lori was out of line for calling him a chauvinist. The doctor was clearly shaken up by Mark’s argument, and he probably felt like debating Mark, which is why he wasn’t paying attention to Lori. Mark will always be Mark when it comes to supplements, so that was no surprise.

Of course it’s not wise to ignore Lori in that environment, but in no way did he display any chauvinist behaviors.

I lost some respect for Lori after that.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 11-05-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 721 Posts

I agree. The guy just was out of his element. You could tell he was an introvert, siding with logic. Not an outgoing personality which we normally see give these pitches. When he heard Mark's argument, his reaction was to reply with facts.

This show is becoming more stale by the episode. Used to look forward to Friday nights to watch this show. Now my wife doesn't watch it at all and I end up fast forwarding through about half the episodes.
Old 11-05-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I agree. The guy just was out of his element. You could tell he was an introvert, siding with logic. Not an outgoing personality which we normally see give these pitches. When he heard Mark's argument, his reaction was to reply with facts.
That was exactly what I thought as well. Lori totally overreacted.
Old 11-05-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,381 Likes on 4,367 Posts

The owners of Supply razor company were on this last episode. I love their product and have used it since I got my Kickstarter razor from them two years ago.
Wish I could see why they were looking for more money, what their business plan was going forward.
I know they have recently hiked the price of their Stainless Steel razor and introduced a cheaper alloy model. But man that Stainless one is a sweet premium item. Robert is right, they were smart to find a very common household item and make a premium market in it. I can't go back.
Old 11-05-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Anyone see the November 3rd episode with the EZC Doctor?

I thought Lori was out of line for calling him a chauvinist. The doctor was clearly shaken up by Mark’s argument, and he probably felt like debating Mark, which is why he wasn’t paying attention to Lori. Mark will always be Mark when it comes to supplements, so that was no surprise.

Of course it’s not wise to ignore Lori in that environment, but in no way did he display any chauvinist behaviors.

I lost some respect for Lori after that.
It was the first episode I had seen since last year and Lori clearly overreacted. Kind of felt planned out in advance, to be frank. This show kind of went off the rails in the past 2-3 years. Everyone knows the format and it's just not as enjoyable as it was back in the day.
Old 01-13-20, 10:32 PM
Banned

If I cry can I get a deal too?

Some of the dumbest ideas this weeks episode- a nookie switch that lights up on both sides of the bed. How about just turning over and talking to your significant other?

Sock-pockets.

A $12 jar of date spread. There are plenty of date spreads on the market and none of them cost $12.
Old 01-14-20, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

Yea, I fast forwarded through a lot of the January 12th episode.

The LoveSync was on another level of dumb. Does it even make noise? I can imagine the husband or wife just staring at it to see if it fully lights up...and waiting

Old 01-14-20, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24

The LoveSync was on another level of dumb. Does it even make noise? I can imagine the husband or wife just staring at it to see if it fully lights up...and waiting

The wife was pretty PO'd at the husband after his awful presentation. I can think of someone who wasn't getting their circle lit up that night.

It was funny though, when they first came out and said they had the solution for couples and then the other couple came out and hopped into the bed, my mind directly went to: "a foursome?"
Old 01-14-20, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 202 Posts

I know they do it for intentional drama, -I'm sure it's being spoken into their ear-pieces, -but I wish The Sharks wouldn't ask, "Why are you getting emotional", which brings on the waterworks and the sad, but aspirational story, which Kevin (usually) will rightly ignore because it's mostly irrelevant in a business transaction.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-14-20 at 09:00 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.