Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Modern Family (ABC) - Season 7 Thread - premieres 9/23/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paff
Sorry man, I don't buy a word of that. Are you trying to say that if people on the Internet said nothing about her body until next year, then that would have been perfectly fine with her and she'd feel great?
Maybe. Maybe not. But she said she got tired of hearing about it, especially in tabloid rags every time she showed up on the red carpet. It sounds like it was a big factor him her decision, and k think that's depressing.[/quote]

I'm not excusing the inappropriate comments, I'm just saying that her age had nothing to do with it. She may have been disturbed by the comments, but she was disturbed by the comments, period. Not disturbed by the comments made despite not being 18.
Even a mature 17 year-old is still a 17 year-old. I'm NOT saying she was out of line in any way doing what she did. It's her body, it's her choice, and I respect it. But her body is still growing. Making a major decision like cosmetic surgery at such a young age could be considered unhealthy. In this case, that may not be so. She probably consulted with medical professionals and had personal problems (she mentioned back troubles), but I would say that at that particular young age, other people's perceptions and comments are probably even more likely to play a major factor in her self-esteem and personal image than with a more advanced personal identity later.

And really, if you don't want people commenting on your looks, perhaps television acting is not the profession for you.
I would guess most actresses, especially those who aren't even of legal she get, probably don't want that kind of attention. Yes, they should probably sadly understand that it comes with the territory, but that doesn't make it any less disgusting. It's an incredibly negative reflection on the industry, especially for young women.

Again, this is not defending boorish behavior, just saying it's part and parcel with an acting career.
That doesn't exactly make it less depressing.

Finally, I still find it ironic that she was ok (or at least the Modern Family producers were) with making comments on her pubescent development early in the show's run. There were at least two jokes about Alex being flat-chested from the first season.
She may not have been, I heard some horror stories about her mother. Plus, like I said, she's still young. I'm not saying that doesn't qualify her to make decisions (in spite of what Michigan seems to think), but having the media dictating your life is bound to make it even harder.

Ariel Winter should have known then that her transition to womanhood (a difficult part in anyone's life) was going to be observed by millions. I'm glad that she made a decision to make herself feel better about her looks, but not for a second do I "blame" internet comments.
Or millions could've minded their own business and not been posting pictures of her on the Internet and not made gross comments. I'm not saying they're necessarily to "blame," just the fact that they played any part in it is a little gross. When I think about what a few comments have done for the self-esteem to friends of mine, that kind of constant media scrutiny can't be good for anyone.
Old 09-25-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Just read a bit about the case. Wow. There should be a law against lying about your age. Not sure if 17 is legal in that state, but damn. That's a stiff punishment for no one pressing charges. My question is, since parents wanted charges dropped, how did this even go to trial or was found out?
Because Michigan doesn't allow for "mistake of fact" as a defense and the judge's 1950 s sense of morality meant that he was allowed to arbitrate the destruction of a young man's life. 16 is legal in Michigan, but even if she'd had a fake ID, he'd still have been charged. I'm not saying he did nothing wrong, but 90 days in jail and placement on the sex offender registry is fucking insane. When the girl's parents decided not press charges, that should've been the fucking end of it. But then, apparently it's up to the state to arbitrate morality in a case where two teenagers wanted to get laid.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-25-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Modern Family (ABC) - Season 7 Thread - premieres 9/23/15

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Because Michigan doesn't allow for "mistake of fact" as a defense and the judge's 1950 s sense of morality meant that he was allowed to arbitrate the destruction of a young man's life. 16 is legal in Michigan, but even if she'd had a fake ID, he'd still have been charged. I'm not saying he did nothing wrong, but 90 days in jail and placement on the sex offender registry is fucking insane. When the girl's parents decided not press charges, that should've been the fucking end of it. But then, apparently it's up to the state to arbitrate morality in a case where two teenagers wanted to get laid.
So how did the court find out and get the case anyways? That's my biggest question. Thinking about Jared and how he got away with it for so long, so how if the parents not press charges, did it get to court unless the parents wanted to press charges and later dropped it?
Old 09-26-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

jesus, this shit again? seriously. talk about the fucking show, not her boobs.
Old 09-26-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only female on this show that I've ever found remotely attractive is Julie Bowen. She's aged well since Ed. None of the others, including Vargara, ever turned my head.

And as for the episode, pretty much status quo, but there were probably a few more laughs than normal.
Old 09-26-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
The only female on this show that I've ever found remotely attractive is Julie Bowen. She's aged well since Ed. None of the others, including Vargara, ever turned my head.

And as for the episode, pretty much status quo, but there were probably a few more laughs than normal.
Major crush on Julie too

Decent episode.
Old 09-27-15, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope she breaks out from the show (always found Vargara annoying and one of the reasons I dislike the show). Julie is easily one of the best things about the show.
Old 09-27-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So how did the court find out and get the case anyways? That's my biggest question. Thinking about Jared and how he got away with it for so long, so how if the parents not press charges, did it get to court unless the parents wanted to press charges and later dropped it?
The girl is epileptic and her mother called the police because she didn't come home to take her medication. He dropped her off at the house. They grilled her and eventually found out they'd had sex. They showed up at his job the next day, threw him in jail for three months, and then put him on sex offender registry. After this giant legal mess, he MAY be able to get out of it, but his scholarship will be forfeit, his parents are broke, and the same judge did his same shit to another kid another a year ago. It's fucking insanity, and a joyous case of what happens when modern technology collides with antiquated morality that the court feels it's their legal obligation to legislate. She went back to school the next day. Wasn't punished at all for lying about her age. The info is on their Facebook page.
Old 09-27-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Why is there a discussion of Jared Fogle in the Modern Family thread? Jesus Christ, take it elsewhere.
Old 09-27-15, 09:11 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Please drop this conversation. This thread should stick to discussing the episodes.
Old 09-27-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought this was about as good as Modern Family can be now. Not great, a few laughs but enjoyable nonetheless.

A lot of re-hashed plotlines too.

They did the whole getting in the high end pre-school thing with Mitch/Cam/Lilly.

They did the whole think with Mitch being lost while unemployed before. They also did Cam being unemployed and Mitch being annoyed by it.

They did the Andy/Haley will they/won't they on every TV show ever.
Old 09-27-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I generally prefer brunettes over blondes, I find Bowen very attractive. I much prefer the girl next door type to the bombshell like Vergara. If I were still a teen or 20 something I would prefer Alex to Haley. Sarah Hyland looks like a bobble-head to me.

I don't like when Claire brings up her wild youthful antics. It's done to get laughs from Phil's reactions however I don't like the humor. Most couples accept previous relationships however few discuss them for 20 years after being married. When Haley went to college and Claire gave her condoms she made some comment about a box not lasting a weekend when she went to school. Not many husbands want to hear that from their wives. So Julie yes, Claire no.

Originally Posted by dex14
Please drop this conversation. This thread should stick to discussing the episodes.
Can we discuss next week's episode where Alex gets boob reduction surgery and then starts dating a 35 year old pitchman from a national restaurant chain?

Sorry, shouldn't have thrown gasoline on the fire.
Old 09-27-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Old 09-27-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope she breaks out from the show (always found Vargara annoying and one of the reasons I dislike the show). Julie is easily one of the best things about the show.
She's 45 years old. Happy Gilmore was 20 years ago and Ed was 15 years ago.

What do you think she would break out to?
Old 09-27-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
She's 45 years old. Happy Gilmore was 20 years ago and Ed was 15 years ago.

What do you think she would break out to?
Ed, another TV show, didn't last long. One big movie 15 years ago doesn't count. She should be in more comedy roles. I think she can be as funny as Elizabeth Banks who is all over the place.
Old 09-27-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Julie Bowen has been acting her entire adult life. Even before Modern Family, she was much more successful than most, but certainly was not a star.
Now she is 45 and has three kids under age 10, and she is making about $10 million a year.
It's okay if she is content.
Old 09-27-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I carded a woman who was in her 40s today. I'd never have known. I actually did a double-take when I saw her license. She was kind enough not to punch me.
Old 10-01-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

This week's episode was much better than the season premiere (that seems to have been the case with almost all the ABC sitcoms, oddly). I'm sure the Mitch and Cam haters were less impressed, as even I thought their little tiff at the soccer game was going a bit long. But I can overlook it more than most, apparently. And it led to the hilariously inappropriate joke about there being more than one person watching girls' soccer through binoculars.
Old 10-01-15, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I carded a woman who was in her 40s today. I'd never have known. I actually did a double-take when I saw her license. She was kind enough not to punch me.
One local grocery chain requires a DOB to be entered into the register when alcohol or age restrictive products are purchased. This takes any judgment out of the hands of cashiers and makes it a requirement of the computer.
Old 10-01-15, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know, I just wish the people who whined about it did. The amount of complaining I have to put up with about the issues is just incessant. I have to listen to the endless complaining, especially from people who don't have it. It is beyond my intellectual capacity why anyone over the age of 18 would be outside of the house at any time of day or night for any reason whatsoever without some form of ID on them at all times and in all places. It drives me nuts.

I just did a double take when I saw her license because she looked significantly younger than she did. She noticed, but was thankfully flattered rather than offended.
Old 10-01-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
One local grocery chain requires a DOB to be entered into the register when alcohol or age restrictive products are purchased. This takes any judgment out of the hands of cashiers and makes it a requirement of the computer.
This has been standard for me for the last few years too. It seems that every market I go to has to put my birthday into the computer before selling me beer. I think it's a good idea for a lot of reasons. However, I still don't get carded that often. Most of the time I'm just asked when my birthday is and they don't even bother asking me to prove it.

I know, I just wish the people who whined about it did. The amount of complaining I have to put up with about the issues is just incessant. I have to listen to the endless complaining, especially from people who don't have it. It is beyond my intellectual capacity why anyone over the age of 18 would be outside of the house at any time of day or night for any reason whatsoever without some form of ID on them at all times and in all places. It drives me nuts.
Well... people are stupid.

Next time someone gives you shit try telling them "if I don't check your ID and put your birthday in the computer I can get fired." MOST people aren't shitty enough to let you risk your job so they can get their booze without ID. Sure, a lot of people still are but I bet that line will shut most people up.
Old 10-01-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Ed, another TV show, didn't last long. One big movie 15 years ago doesn't count. She should be in more comedy roles. I think she can be as funny as Elizabeth Banks who is all over the place.
I still refer to her more from Boston Legal than Modern Family, but she's done well for herself and who knows maybe she'll get to do a few flicks once Modern Family is off the air.

I know she isn't going to give up the $190k/episode they're paying her.
Old 10-01-15, 09:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Punch you? She probably wanted to hug you.
Old 10-01-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just did a double take when I saw her license because she looked significantly younger than she did. She noticed, but was thankfully flattered rather than offended.
I sometimes just have cash with me and no ID. It sucks when buying medicine as I feel like crap and just want to go home, but nope, have to have an ID now just for one Nyquill. I can see if I'm stocking up, sure, but come on. Not going to get messed off on just a smal dose.
Old 10-01-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Teenage girls' anatomies? Carding middle-aged women? Can we talk about Modern freakin' Family yet?

Like say, Gloria and the sippy cup? Mitch calling halftime "intermission"? I also loved the back and forth between Cam and Mitch making toast for French people, and whether or not it should be called French toast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.