Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 9 Thread - Premieres 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 9 Thread - Premieres 9/21/15

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files (since its TV debut) and had never heard of "shipping" before this thread.
Old 10-02-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm a huge fan of The X-Files (since its TV debut) and had never heard of "shipping" before this thread.
Ironic, as wasn't it the X-Files fans that really coined the phrase?
Old 10-02-15, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it's mostly females that use the 'shipping' term (I've never used it), still suprised many here hasn't at least heard of it.
Old 10-02-15, 12:08 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
I agree that it's mostly females that use the 'shipping' term (I've never used it), still suprised many here hasn't at least heard of it.
it's a sausage-fest around here
Old 10-02-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
I think it's mostly women who actively "ship," and the term "shipper" is frequently used as a pejorative.

A little context here. "Shipping" frequently means following a television program for the sole purpose of a romantic relationship developing or continuing to the exclusion of everything else. It's the mindset of people pitching fits if Spike and Buffy break up.

Shippers are also frequently batshit crazy. If you're on a board with shippers they will flip their shit over any criticism of their pet characters and ships. (Don't bring up the time Spike tried to rape Buffy!) I also remember a lot of rage directed at Joss Whedon, with certain shippers believing he was writing to stories to actively spite them.

And, lastly, it's not unknown for television shows, and genre shows in particular, to introduce soap operaish elements in order to appeal to shippers. Think all of that "Skate" and "Jate" and "Jacket" and "Suliet" shit on Lost that started creeping in as it dragged on. This is, presumably, done to "expand the demographic," but only serves to irritate the original fans and bring in new fans who are raving lunatics.
Old 10-02-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just wonder where you have to be in your life to invest yourself so much that you get actively worried about fictional characters' love lives. I mean, my life is empty, but I know the difference between fiction and reality.
Old 10-02-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I just wonder where you have to be in your life to invest yourself so much that you get actively worried about fictional characters' love lives. I mean, my life is empty, but I know the difference between fiction and reality.
Almost as bad as people arguing about a situation that went down in some cantina in Mos Eisley.
Old 10-02-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

I just think that there isn't any way around Sheldon's total lack of sexual desire, his asshole personality not withstanding. I can't imagine many people who'd put up with that in a relationship, much less being treated the way he treats everybody. But then, it's never made much sense for his libido to be totally non-existent to me.

I'm hoping they won't keep them broken up, but will use this as an opportunity to teach Sheldon that he really does feel empty without her and that she actually added value to his life, and that if he wants to keep that, he needs to start respecting her and actually behaving like a human sometimes. I think he really does care about her, and part of any relationship is learning to compromise and adjust who you are.
Old 10-02-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod
Almost as bad as people arguing about a situation that went down in some cantina in Mos Eisley.
I hate you .
Old 10-03-15, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I hate you .
Just messin' with ya. From one fan to another..
Old 10-03-15, 02:46 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Think all of that "Skate" and "Jate" and "Jacket" and "Suliet" shit on Lost that started creeping in as it dragged on.
Whoa whoa whoa what the shit? You can't tell me that was ever a thing (the terms, not the relationships). Im sure I kept up with Lost discussions and have never seen those, at least around here.

Not one single instance of either jate or suliet around here, not even as a typo in any of the subforums:
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...um.dvdtalk.com

I need to get out (of dvdtalk TV talk) more often
Old 10-03-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shippers love to combine names for the couples they like, from what I understand.
Old 10-03-15, 11:48 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^oh I know the whole name combining thing, just never seen it done with Lost
Old 10-03-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

i wonder what that's like for a gay actor? I mean, from the other side, I don't know if I could do that without feeling super-uncomfortable.
I'm an actor, although all I do is local theatre. Honestly, it's just a part of blocking. I've had to kiss women on stage I wasn't attracted to, or ones who were friends of mine, and it's just one more aspect of performing. While I'm straight, I've auditioned for parts where I would have been playing a gay character. It's no big deal, and these two have been working together and are apparently friends for years now.
Old 10-03-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shippers love to combine names for the couples they like, from what I understand.
HaneralShotZodFirst
Old 10-05-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I'm so sick of all these relationship story plots. They need to go back to its root, 4 geeks trying to navigate through life and not fully understanding how it works. I thought their best episodes are where they introduced the latest technology or gadget and then develop a story from there around these 4 geeks. All the female part should be supporting plot. I really don't give a damn about how Penny is jealous of Mandy, Amy broke up with Sheldon but really want to get back, or Emily shows up once in a while when they run out of things to do with A plot.
If you can count a van as new technology, you should be pretty happy about this week.
Old 10-05-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Since when did Raj become dumb as dirt?
Old 10-05-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So Amy had Carrie's mother growing up?
Old 10-05-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Spoiler:
Some filming notes about this episode..

Opening scene with Mustard and kidnapping talk - 2 takes
Sheldon Kidnapping and thrown in van - Not on set. Taken just outside the stage
Next scene with boys in van - Recorded earlier. Tape played back for audience reaction
Girls drinking and Amy bringing in cookies - 3 takes 1 pickup. 2 rewrites
Next scene with boys in van - Recorded earlier. Re-enacted by talent for audience reaction
Girls talking with Amy about getting ears pierce - 2 takes
Next scene with boys in van (flat tire) - Recorded earlier. Re-enacted by talent for audience reaction
Penny talking about parents not knowing about marriage - 2 takes 1 pickup. 1 rewrite
Next scene with boys working on tire - 2 takes
Girls talking about Amy's mom - 2 takes 1 pickup. 1 rewrite.
Penny makes call to dad - 2 takes. 1 pickup.
Next scene "lever" controversy - 3 takes. 1 pickup. 2 rewrites.
Amy calling mom - 2 takes
Working with lever sign - 2 takes
Scenes with them trying various thing to get lugnut off tire - filmed earlier. Played back for audience reaction.
Final scene with Penny and Boys in hallway - 2 takes.

Total time on stage 3:20.
Old 10-05-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

In the earlier seasons of the show, Leonard & Sheldon knew nothing about pop culture. Now somehow in the more recent seasons, Sheldon can sing a Paul Simon song (I am a Rock) Season 7, Ep 1. And he can also sing We will Rock You?
Old 10-05-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
In the earlier seasons of the show, Leonard & Sheldon knew nothing about pop culture. Now somehow in the more recent seasons, Sheldon can sing a Paul Simon song (I am a Rock) Season 7, Ep 1. And he can also sing We will Rock You?
Continuity has always been a problem with the Sheldon character.

Season 1: "assuming we could dance, which we cant..."
Season 3: "The math would suggest that in a few I'm a clown made of candy. But I don't dance."
Season 4: "For the record I am a excellent DANCER"

Sheldon also did some Salsa dancing in Season 1.

But.. you know.. it's a sitcom.
Old 10-06-15, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Sheldon does know about football from living in Texas, so I wouldn't be surprised that he would have heard "We Will Rock You" somewhere despite it being more known as a basketball rock and jock anthem.

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 10-06-15 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-06-15, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

I liked the little "Scientific Theory" title cards before they tried a different method of loosening the lug nut.

Of course, no matter how physically weak those guys may be, when they used the road sign to extend the wrench for more torque, almost no strength would have been required. If it still didn't crack with that much extension, it's a safe assumption the nut was seized, and that much torque would likely shear the stud (which would have allowed them to remove the tire and just use one fewer lug nut on the spare)

I was kind of expecting them to not know how to even change the tire, so I was pleased with the direction the plot took.
Old 10-06-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Well, Sheldon does know about football from living in Texas, so I wouldn't be surprised that he would have heard "We Will Rock You" somewhere despite it being more known as a basketball rock and jock anthem.
I thought exactly the same thing! In Texas Rangers stadium back in the 80s, they used to sing that song and everyone would stamp their feet twice then clap. I was in the upper deck and it really shook. I was praying that the engineers who built it considered 10,000 people repeatedly stamping their feet in unison. It was pretty cool!
Old 10-06-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Sheldon supposedly not knowing much music but still knowing that one song.

But the rest of the episode was just awful. Felt like a total waste of 20 or so minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.