Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

You're The Worst (FXX) - Season 2 Thread - premieres 9/9/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: You're The Worst (FXX) - Season 2 Thread - premieres 9/9/15

Love comedies that take dark turns (Louie, Togetherness, etc.), and this series is definitely a candidate for that kind of thing. This episode was mesmerizing, different, powerful ... almost like a perfect standalone short story.
Old 11-05-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 879 Likes on 617 Posts

Not sure what I just watched.

It wasn't bad... it just wasn't "You're the Worst". It really felt like an independent film with the pacing, the seriousness with tiny bits of comedy thrown in and with the music and camera work.

I appreciate that they're trying something different in the way that Louie does, but I'm not sure this works at all for the type of show this is.
Old 11-05-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That's one way to put it. While you can mine comedy from a subject like depression, I think Gretchen's depression is starting to suck the air out of this show.
Although the depression adds depth to her character, I wish the show would stay primarily a comedy.
Old 11-05-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna leave you anyway
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...en-falk-837130
Old 11-05-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I didn't quite get why she got upset at the end. Was it because that couple didn't live up to what she expected of them by watching them from the outside?
Old 11-06-15, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 843 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I didn't quite get why she got upset at the end. Was it because that couple didn't live up to what she expected of them by watching them from the outside?
I think Gretchen had been dreaming of the path she didn't take in life, which this couple took. She thought their life was perfect on the outside, until discovering when the husband hit on her that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. The husband came off as not being particularly happy with his current life. I would guess that realization is what made her cry.
Old 11-06-15, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly why she was upset. She was looking from the outside in on their life and she was wondering why she couldn't be like them. Only at the end did she realize that that sort of lifestyle wouldn't fill the whole that this depression has created.
Old 11-06-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Then, her depression aside, she should be kinda glad that a different life style isn't necessarily "better" than the one she has.
Old 11-06-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Then, her depression aside, she should be kinda glad that a different life style isn't necessarily "better" than the one she has.
I don't think that you got the point of the last 3 episodes. The mouse episode was about her coming out about depression. The Halloween episode, apart from the hilarious haunted house bits, was about her friends trying to "fix" her. Well intentioned, no doubt. Also, doomed to failure. This last episode was about her trying to fix herself. Also well intentioned, also doomed to failure.

Her example is like being diagnosed with terminal cancer and trying a bullshit Brazilian bean diet. For some reason you have some hope, and then reality yanks it away. She's (as a character) not glad, she's just had hope taken from her.

As someone suffering from depression, this frustrates me greatly. People conflate sadness and depression all the time. But, they're wrong. One is a temporary condition that can be changed, and one is a lifelong illness that can only be treated. Being told to "just get over it" with respect to depression is like being told the same with respect to diabetes. But people feel the license to do so with depression. People that you love, people that you trust. Trust me. I hope that you never know.

I'm really big on empathy, but trust me, her character wasn't glad. She was horrified. She grasped at straws and came up empty. I honestly hope that you never understand the feeling.
Old 11-06-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did say "her depression aside". But I guess that can't be brushed aside. That's why I don't quite get her trying to "fix herself" by wanting to adopt a different lifestyle - if others don't get it, shouldn't she know better?
Old 11-06-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115
I don't think that you got the point of the last 3 episodes. The mouse episode was about her coming out about depression. The Halloween episode, apart from the hilarious haunted house bits, was about her friends trying to "fix" her. Well intentioned, no doubt. Also, doomed to failure. This last episode was about her trying to fix herself. Also well intentioned, also doomed to failure.

Her example is like being diagnosed with terminal cancer and trying a bullshit Brazilian bean diet. For some reason you have some hope, and then reality yanks it away. She's (as a character) not glad, she's just had hope taken from her.

As someone suffering from depression, this frustrates me greatly. People conflate sadness and depression all the time. But, they're wrong. One is a temporary condition that can be changed, and one is a lifelong illness that can only be treated. Being told to "just get over it" with respect to depression is like being told the same with respect to diabetes. But people feel the license to do so with depression. People that you love, people that you trust. Trust me. I hope that you never know.

I'm really big on empathy, but trust me, her character wasn't glad. She was horrified. She grasped at straws and came up empty. I honestly hope that you never understand the feeling.
I think the issue with this season alienating people is the fact that it is pretty spot-on, and unless you've been in it, it's tough to relate to or even find the logic in.
Old 11-06-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did say "her depression aside". But I guess that can't be brushed aside. That's why I don't quite get her trying to "fix herself" by wanting to adopt a different lifestyle - if others don't get it, shouldn't she know better?
Well, it's a desperation thing. I'm not saying that you're any worse than the guy next to you (unless it's that asshole Bob). It's all about a skewed opinion. To quote a factually flawed Penny Arcade, it's the color blind guy who can't see dogs. Or, more accurately, its the guy doing P90X in the midst of his divorce to meet new women. Will losing 20 pounds make a ton of difference? No. Do people still want to change bad circumstances, absolutely. In all honesty, if someone told you that one of your kids had a fatal disease, would you really not pursue any option that you had? It's not that she doesn't know better, it's just that she is reaching out for anything that she can. It's horrifying if you've been through it.
Old 11-06-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 843 Likes on 710 Posts

I don't mind a serious episode here or there but I would have been one of those FXX executives looking on in shocked silence when the showrunner pitched an entire arc built around Gretchen's depression. It's not like this show gets 22 episodes to straighten things out, the season is nearly over for almost another year even if it gets renewed.

It's the type of arc I might do on a comedy if I thought the show had zero shot at getting renewed and I wanted a more dramatic calling card for my next project.
Old 11-06-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think the issue with this season alienating people is the fact that it is pretty spot-on, and unless you've been in it, it's tough to relate to or even find the logic in.
And that is almost certainly true. If you want to answer a fucked up question, is it worse that more people don't get it, or that it's great that they don't.
Old 11-06-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't mind a serious episode here or there but I would have been one of those FXX executives looking on in shocked silence when the showrunner pitched an entire arc built around Gretchen's depression. It's not like this show gets 22 episodes to straighten things out, the season is nearly over for almost another year even if it gets renewed.

It's the type of arc I might do on a comedy if I thought the show had zero shot at getting renewed and I wanted a more dramatic calling card for my next project.
I really don't know how they sold this story line. The haunted house episode- I laughed so hard that I cried. More than once. But a multi-episode arc about depression, I like it, but damn, that's a tough sell.
Old 11-06-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've watched the episode twice, and I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about it. One thing's certain: Aya Cash is just plain awesome. I'd love for her to get some Emmy love, though I know it's unlikely.
Old 11-06-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it's a desperation thing. I'm not saying that you're any worse than the guy next to you (unless it's that asshole Bob). It's all about a skewed opinion. To quote a factually flawed Penny Arcade, it's the color blind guy who can't see dogs. Or, more accurately, its the guy doing P90X in the midst of his divorce to meet new women. Will losing 20 pounds make a ton of difference? No. Do people still want to change bad circumstances, absolutely. In all honesty, if someone told you that one of your kids had a fatal disease, would you really not pursue any option that you had? It's not that she doesn't know better, it's just that she is reaching out for anything that she can. It's horrifying if you've been through it.
Well, I just mean within the context of this show. I actually do know a little, as I'm dating a girl who deals with some depression, and she's told me how she appreciates how when she's going through one of her episodes, that I don't try to "fix" it or even say much. All she needs is for me to be there, listen and hold her, and that's all she expects from me, and for me to understand that there's no real external force that brings it on, so there's no external force that can really address it. That's why I'm wondering why on the show she felt like she might be able to address it.
Old 11-06-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I just mean within the context of this show. I actually do know a little, as I'm dating a girl who deals with some depression, and she's told me how she appreciates how when she's going through one of her episodes, that I don't try to "fix" it or even say much. All she needs is for me to be there, listen and hold her, and that's all she expects from me, and for me to understand that there's no real external force that brings it on, so there's no external force that can really address it. That's why I'm wondering why on the show she felt like she might be able to address it.
And that's a fair question. The short answer is hope. She wanted a reprieve from mental illness. It was literally never going to happen, but she wanted it. The thing with mental illness on a TV show is that they like to put people at the end of the road as the qualifiers. People at the early stages rarely have the focus of an episode. And, for the record, I'm *really* not trying to put you down. I'm sure that you're a great guy. I just think that people in general don't have the mindset to deal with depression.
Old 11-06-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just think that people in general don't have the mindset to deal with depression.
Can you help me out with that mindset? Seriously, I'd like to be more mindful of people dealing with depression, obviously not because I think I can make them "feel better", but to better cope with what they may be going through, and to not add to their worries.
Old 11-06-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can you help me out with that mindset? Seriously, I'd like to be more mindful of people dealing with depression, obviously not because I think I can make them "feel better", but to better cope with what they may be going through, and to not add to their worries.
You get points over most. Most people go with "it could be worse" or "it'll get better". Both of which are true, and neither of which help at all. The show actually did a good job of demonstrating it, though it wasn't literal. The scene where she couldn't hear Jimmy is a great metaphor. Imagine inviting everyone that you love to a super bowl party. And feeling completely alone while surrounded by them. It's not a matter of health, though that can contribute. It's not a matter of isolation, though that can contribute too.

I think that Gretchen's quote (which I'm going to paraphrase because I'll mess it up) is most apt, "I can't tell him about my broken brain."

Because who do you tell? Your boss, your parents? Your best friends? Trust me when I saw that they all have drawbacks.

On the plus side, it isn't all bad. I have my son and that literally always cheers me up. Plus I went sky diving with him last weekend. Depression isn't omnipresent, it just lurks in the background.
Old 11-09-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have no idea what FX exec thought that a depression storyline would make a comedy enjoyable, or maybe Stephen Falk just sold it well.

Anyhooo......my DVR cut off after they Gretchen handed the former hipster couple back the bottle of wine. Did anything happen?
Old 11-10-15, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They walk home and she cries.
Old 11-12-15, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

That episode really just brought it all around again. Really hope this gets renewed for another season.
Old 11-12-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I thought all English people were fancy. But these are like Alabama English people."

Great episode.
Old 11-12-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 879 Likes on 617 Posts

It was enjoyable. I didn't expect Jimmy's family to be like that. The older sister is a total c*nt.

Gretchen's depression takes away from the show. It may be realistic, but it winds up neutering an important character on the show. We just see her mope around. I don't get why she only seemed depressed in the middle of the night when she snuck off to cry in her car - and then as soon as Jimmy finds out, she's depressed all day - every day.

Obviously Jimmy's gonna hook up with that bartender and Gretchen's depression is driving him there. We saw it was headed that way for a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.