Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Powerless - DC Comics Workplace Comedy Lands At NBC

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Powerless - DC Comics Workplace Comedy Lands At NBC

I'm interested enough just to check it out.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/dc-comics...160946245.html

The primetime DC Comics universe is expanding in a comedy direction. In a competitive situation, Powerless, a half-hour single-camera comedy from A To Z creator Ben Queen and Warner Bros. TV, has landed at NBC with a pilot production commitment.

The project evokes NBC’s signature comedy series The Office, but with superheroes. Based on characters from DC Comics, Powerless is a workplace comedy set at one of the worst insurance companies in America — with the twist being that it also takes place in the universe of DC Comics. The show is about the reality of working life for a normal, powerless person in a world of superheroes and villains.

It hasn’t been determined yet exactly which DC characters will appear on the show, but I hear the list is not expected to include the biggest DC brands like Batman and Superman. The focus of the series is on the ordinary, “power-less” folk working at the insurance company who often envy the men and women outside their window who make headlines with their supernatural powers. Queen, who is under an overall deal at WBTV, is the writer/executive producer.

Comedy is a natural extension for the DC brand as there is not much room left for expansion on the drama side, with five DC Universe series on the broadcast networks (Gotham on Fox; Supergirl on CBS; Arrow, The Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow on the CW) and a sixth in the works in cable (Titans on TNT).

Powerless reunites Queen with NBC where he created and executive produced comedy A To Z, also from WBTV. Previously, he created and executive produced the 2007 Fox/20th TV drama series Drive, which starred Emma Stone and Nathan Fillion. On the feature side, he wrote Cars 2 for Pixar and previously wrote Slanted & Enchanted for Warner Bros. Queen is repped by UTA and attorney David Webber.

NBC is making a push in comedy for next season. The network yesterday announced a straight-to-series order to a project from Mike Schur and a pilot order to a comedy produced by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock.
Old 08-14-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
re: Powerless - DC Comics Workplace Comedy Lands At NBC

Apparently this isn't based on an actual comic (or at least the article makes no mention of one)? Sounds almost like Damage Control, but that's Marvel. I have a hard time believing that DC will release recognizable heroes to this show, considering all the other shows they have.
Old 08-14-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I also thought of Damage Control when reading the article. The threshold for successful ratings are so low currently on NBC that they will try almost any concept. It's a low-risk gamble since if the show is no good, it will be forgotten within a few episodes. This is really another office comedy using DC references as its primary audience hook.

A natural DC comedy that would translate to TV is the Blue & Gold comedy team (Booster Gold and Blue Beetle). That would cost far more money to produce of course, since costumes and the occasional VFX would be needed.
Old 08-14-15, 01:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Iirc, I loved Damage Control back in the 90s(?).
Old 08-14-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Now's the time to pitch my "Zany late-70s/early-80s-ish sitcom set on the Death Star" idea to ABC...
Old 08-14-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I also thought of Damage Control when reading the article. The threshold for successful ratings are so low currently on NBC that they will try almost any concept. It's a low-risk gamble since if the show is no good, it will be forgotten within a few episodes. This is really another office comedy using DC references as its primary audience hook.

A natural DC comedy that would translate to TV is the Blue & Gold comedy team (Booster Gold and Blue Beetle). That would cost far more money to produce of course, since costumes and the occasional VFX would be needed.
or a whole Giffen/Demattias bwah-ha-ha era Justice League, which has no chance of happening ever. Though we will always have this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsm...a-tv-pilot_fun
Old 08-15-15, 09:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ I have no words for this.
Old 08-15-15, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's such a great loss that Marvel doesn't use Damage Control, especially as a oneshot. The moment Avengers ended, I thought it would be great if the clean up crew was Damage Control. Drew Pearce apparently really wants to put Damage Control into the MCU. Haven't heard about the property since last year though.
Old 08-15-15, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

First we have Powers on PSN about an ex-superhero trying to get his powers back, now we have Powerless about insurance agents? Eh, ok. I'd love to find out what the cost of Superhero insurance costs in Metropolis is...
Old 02-23-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...werless-868732

Danny Pudi, Alan Tudyk, Vanessa Hudgens and Christina Kirk cast in the Pilot.

'A to Z' alum Christina Kirk will also join the 'Community' and 'Suburgatory' stars in the Vanessa Hudgens starrer.
NBC's DC Comics comedy pilot Powerless is rounding out its cast.

Community grad Danny Pudi, Suburgatory alum Alan Tudyk and A to Z's Christina Kirk have boarded the comedy starring Vanessa Hudgens, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The single-camera workplace comedy is set at one of the worst insurance companies in America — with the twist being that it also takes place in the universe of DC Comics. The project is about the reality of working life for a normal, powerless person in a world of superheroes and villains.

Hudgens stars as Emily Locke, an insurance claims adjuster who finds herself increasingly exasperated by the disruptive antics of the various superheroes that proliferate in her city.

Tudyk is set to play Del, Emily's new boss in the claims department. Del has just been promoted — not through any merit of his own, but because he’s the owner’s son. A self-proclaimed “rich, over-educated globetrotting wastrel,” Del is a power-mad disastrous dictator of a boss.

Pudi, who last season starred in NBC pilot Strange Calls, will play Teddy, Emily's best friend at work and her trusted confidante. He spends his days creating time-wasting pranks as a way to make their office, the "least super place on earth," just a little less "unsuper." The casting brings the actor back to NBC, where Community started its run before wrapping up at Yahoo.

Kirk, who will reunite with A to Z writer/exec producer Ben Queen on Powerless, will portray Jackie. A fan of super heroes, Jackie has plastered her office cubicle with beefcake shots of super guys. New claims department boss Del makes her his personal assistant, and she begins buckling under his unreasonable and impossible demands.

Powerless is being written by Queen (A to Z), who will executive produce alongside Michael Patrick Jann, with the latter set to direct the pilot.

Tudyk (Zootopia, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) is repped by UTA and Coronel Group; Pudi is with UTA, Velocity Entertainment and Bruce Gellman; Kirk is with the Kohner Agency and Circle of Confusion.
Old 02-23-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

So Pudi is switching from the Marvel Universe to DC?
Old 05-02-16, 05:54 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I'm in Orlando and stopped by Universal. They have an area that gives you a $20 GC for watching pilots. This was the one they showed me (I also saw people watching the Taken pilot). This was pretty bad. It was just way over the top in dropping DC names. It was trying too hard. Hudgens is likeable in the lead. Kate Miccuci plays one of the office workers and is OK. She has a twin brother and there is an ongoing joke about trying to figure out who Green Latern is.

The comedy is just bland and cliche.

Crimson Fox was in the pilot. She looked alright.
Old 05-02-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Powerless - DC Comics Workplace Comedy Lands At NBC

That's pretty neat if they had Crimson Fox show up. She was a huge focus of the comedy in Justice League Europe. The Flash always made fun of her accent.
Old 05-11-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/11...perhero-comedy

Ordered to series for next season. Expect a trailer soon. Probably by Sunday.
Old 05-11-16, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Crimson Fox? Ok...
Old 05-12-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's good times. I remember the dark years where television absolutely hated to have its characters wear superhero costumes, culminating in Smallville's extended stretch of lunacy.

Trust me, Crimson Fox is all about the accent.
Old 05-12-16, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

There was a good Marvel miniseries called Powerless about 10 years ago.
Old 05-12-16, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's good times. I remember the dark years where television absolutely hated to have its characters wear superhero costumes, culminating in Smallville's extended stretch of lunacy.

Trust me, Crimson Fox is all about the accent.
Plus I love that they are diggin' deep.
Old 05-12-16, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I know it's just a still shot but it gives me flashbacks to that horrid Justice League pilot from way back when.
Old 05-12-16, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

Crimson Fox? Ok...

Isn't the custome the wrong color(orange). I thought she wore a
brown/tan outfit.

I will tune in because I am hoping to see other C-list heroes like: Jack O'Lantern, Odd Man, and Prince Ra-Man.
Old 05-12-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The comic's costume was brown, though it had a kind of two-tone affect somewhat similar to the photo.
Old 05-19-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

1st trailer. It's a little rough looking. NBC hasn't officially posted it yet on their channel.

Old 01-13-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 01-14-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm in Orlando and stopped by Universal. They have an area that gives you a $20 GC for watching pilots. This was the one they showed me (I also saw people watching the Taken pilot). This was pretty bad. It was just way over the top in dropping DC names. It was trying too hard. Hudgens is likeable in the lead. Kate Miccuci plays one of the office workers and is OK. She has a twin brother and there is an ongoing joke about trying to figure out who Green Latern is.

The comedy is just bland and cliche.

Crimson Fox was in the pilot. She looked alright.

These previews are so they can tweak shows before they air.
Did you make mention of that afterwards during the opinions portion of it.
Old 01-14-17, 04:29 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.