Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ice Road Truckers S9, starting 8/2 -- now Hugh Rowland-free!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.tvruckus.com/2015/08/01/i...story-channel/

tl;dr summary: They are back in Manitoba for a third season. With the fat oaf gone, so is his company that competed with Polar Industries. Instead, Darrell Ward has set up a company to compete with Polar. Curious how he did that so easily because he's an American. How easy is it for a foreigner to set up a company in Canada? Anyone know?

Polar has all the drivers from last season but they are building drama with Lisa Kelly not deciding which company she will work for. Given those two got along well and it would be totally lopsided if she worked for Polar, I'm guessing she will work for Darrell.

I hope there's something new here because the show got boring and repetitive.
Old 08-02-15, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Ice Road Truckers S9, starting 8/2 -- now Hugh Rowland-free!

This is the latest they have ever started a season. I wonder if they had other problems that was holding up the show?
Old 08-02-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

History is running a ton of new content though, like that new show "Alone." That's a weird one. Looks like an attempt to cash in on the "Naked and Afraid" buzz but while keeping clothing on.

And way too goddamn alien shows. Jeez they gotta stop.
Old 08-02-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

"Alone" is interesting. Twelve survival experts left in bear/cougar country, about 10 miles or so apart. No cameramen, just a phone to call for pickup if/when they tap out. Last man left wins $500,000.
Old 08-03-15, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't watched Alone. I wonder if Yogi will call and tell them to send a picinic basket with the next meal.
Old 08-04-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Imagine my surprise when IRT X showed up in my DVR play list tonight. Based on this thread this is just when season 9 started last year, but I don't remember seeing anything promoting the new season so I had all but forgotten about the show. Looks like pretty much the same cast o' characters (and comically phony drama) as last year.
Old 08-05-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've been promoting it on History and Facebook. I just never bothered to post here because it was pretty clear no one cares about these shows but me. And hell, even I don't care about IRT any more.
Old 08-05-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Traxan
They've been promoting it on History and Facebook. I just never bothered to post here because it was pretty clear no one cares about these shows but me. And hell, even I don't care about IRT any more.
I guess I haven't been watching much History Channel this summer. Even as I skip commercials with the DVR I'll usually slow down to see what new series they are promoting in case anything looks good.
Old 08-05-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

To paraphrase the OP from a year ago, these shows tend to run their courses and burn out the interest level in a few episodes, let alone multiple seasons. I can't even get into Deadliest Catch these days -- no crab = scream and cuss at the lazy new guy; lots of crab = woo-hoo, funny prank time!
Old 08-05-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Last night on season 10. episode one they had a driver drive over ice and he was scared shitless. That's the first time I can recall that happening since last season's last episode.
Old 08-05-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where are they driving these days? They keep wearing out their welcome wherever they go.
Old 08-05-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still in Canada. Basically this season looks exactly like last season, even moreso than usual.
Old 08-29-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ice Road Truckers star Darrell Ward, 52, is killed in a plane crash as he was heading to Montana film a new show about air crashes

One of the stars of Ice Road Truckers, Darrell Ward, has died in a plane crash while on his way to film a documentary about the recovery of plane wrecks.

Ward, 52, was on his way to Missoula, Montana and was killed alongside his co-pilot.

The pair had taken off from Dallas, Texas, where Ward had been attending the Great American Truck Show.

The cause of the wreck remains under investigation, and Missoula County Sheriff’s Deputy Ryan Dunster said that the plane was making an approach when the accident occurred.

Witnesses who were watching and waiting for the airplane to land stated that the aircraft went into a stall as it pulled up, and unfortunately the pilot wasn’t able to regain control.

The National Transportation Safety Board is now investigating the case.

Ward, a father and grandfather, rose to fame on the Ice Road Truckers reality show that chronicles the extreme and often dangerous lives of the truckers who haul cargo to remote communities.

After joining the show in its sixth season, Warn had recently learned that the show was to make a return for its 11th season.

Calling himself an 'adrenaline junkie', Ward enjoyed hunting, fishing, camping and dirt-bike riding.

He would occasionally help local authorities fight forest fires, according to the statement announcing his death.

Ward became very popular over the past four seasons for his fearlessness in traveling dangerous terrain.

He was also well known for helping other truckers in need - even his rivals.

Trucking had always been a large part of Ward's life; from running the harvest rigs with his grandparents and family, to driving trucks from Montana to Alaska and all roads in between.

In his free time, he could usually be found Darrell giving back to the community.

Recently he had promoted a food drive to help victims in the Louisiana Floods and was scheduled to appear as the grand marshal for the Truck Convoy for Special Olympics in Nova Scotia.
Wow, this is sad. For all of the ridiculousness of this show, he seemed like a pretty decent guy.
Old 09-08-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like the show is getting desperate. You can't tell me this girl wasn't hired for T&A appeal.

http://starcasm.net/archives/357351
Old 09-09-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I could tell you that, but you already used the word "desperate." Meh.