Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Brink (HBO) - S: Jack Black & Tim Robbins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/21/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Brink (HBO) - S: Jack Black & Tim Robbins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

DESCRIPTION:
(from HBO's press release, May 2015) When a rogue general seizes control of Pakistan and its nuclear arsenal, the fate of the world rests on the shoulders of three improbable Americans: Secretary of State Walter Larson, lowly Foreign Service officer Alex Talbot and ace Navy fighter pilot Zeke Tilson. From the turbulent streets of the Middle East, to the White House situation room, to an aircraft carrier on the Red Sea, these three compromised souls must pull through the chaos around them to save the planet from World War Three. Executive produced by Jerry Weintraub, Roberto Benabib and Jay Roach, who also directed the pilot, and created by Roberto Benabib and Kim Benabib, the epic dark comedy series THE BRINK focuses on a geopolitical crisis and its effect on three disparate, desperate men. The show's ten-episode season begins SUNDAY, JUNE 21 (10:30-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. THE BRINK stars Jack Black (Golden Globe nominee for "School of Rock" and "Bernie") as Alex Talbot, Tim Robbins (Best Supporting Actor Oscar(R) winner for "Mystic River," Best Director Oscar(R) nominee for "Dead Man Walking") as Walter Larson and Pablo Schreiber ( "Law and Order: SVU," HBO's "The Wire") as Zeke Tilson. Other series regulars include Aasif Mandvi ("The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"), Maribeth Monroe ("Workaholics"), Eric Ladin ("The Killing," HBO's "Boardwalk Empire"), Esai Morales ("NYPD Blue") and Geoff Pierson ("Dexter").

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aasif Mandvi as Rafiq
· Eric Ladin as Glenn
· Esai Morales as President Navarro
· Geoff Pierson as Secretary of Defense Grey
· Jack Black as Alex Talbot
· Maribeth Monroe as Kendra Peterson
· Pablo Schreiber as Zeke "Z-Pak" Tilson
· Tim Robbins as Walter Larson

CREW INFORMATION:
· Jack Black as PROD
· Jay Roach as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Jerry Weintraub as EP
· Kim Benabib as CRTR/CO-EP
· Roberto Benabib as CRTR/EP
· Tim Robbins as PROD

GENRE(S):
· comedy (all)
· comedy (single-camera)

10 episode season

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QwsEKGMzTZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-21-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: The Brink (HBO) - S: Jack Black & Tim Robbins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/2

I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-21-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Brink (HBO) - S: Jack Black & Tim Robbins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/2

Wasn't really on my radar, but I like Jack Black and Tim Robbins, so I will check it out.
Old 06-21-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this a lot more than Ballers, which didn't even hold my interest. Tim Robbins was hilarious.
Old 06-21-15, 11:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Yeah, Robbins was by great in this. I liked it.
Old 06-22-15, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I enjoyed this a lot more than Ballers, which didn't even hold my interest. Tim Robbins was hilarious.
This is how I felt. Ballers just didn't do it for me (even though I wanted to like it) but this was pretty good.
Old 06-22-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

I caught this late last night. Thought it was a pretty good political comedy like Veep. Tim Robbins was quite funny. Liked his introduction when he was playing sex games with that Asian girl. She was quite hot too. I when he was attracted to that hot Pakistani translator and he said..."Get me her digits"

And loved his fuck you square off with Geoff Pierson's character.

Jack Black was fun too playing that low level State Department schmuck trying to make an impression. Liked seeing Esai Morales as the POTUS too. Have always been a fan and I think this is the first comedy I've seen him in.

I'm in for the remaining 9 episodes. Fun little comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Wasn't that crazy Pakistani terrorist the Principal on Glee? I know I've seen him numerous times.
Old 06-22-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I when he was attracted to that hot Pakistani translator and he said..."Get me her digits"
It was actually "get me her details"... but same difference.

I thought it was decent... had a few laughs.
Definitely worth checking out the rest of the season. Much better than Ballers.

Last edited by Coral; 06-23-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I heard "digits" too.
Old 06-23-15, 03:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i think this was ok. little raunchy for my tastes but it was nice to see very likeable leads in Robbins and Black. and nice to see Aasif Mandvi from TDS.
Old 06-23-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Robbins and I'm guessing the SecDef going off on each other was hilarious.
Old 06-23-15, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Loved looking at the chicks in this. There were some crazy beautiful ones. Nice perk since I wasn't expecting eye candy, just a silly satire. Which it was.
Old 06-23-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So the consensus is that this is better than BALLERS? I watched BALLERS, but didn't stay up to watch this on Sunday.
Old 06-23-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I thought this was pretty funny. It would be nice to see the SecDef not be such a one-dimensional stereotype in response to Robbins' blowhardiness, but there's time to develop that. And Robbins was actually less insufferable than I expected. My only other criticism is that the Jack Black stuff was a little too farcical for my taste, but maybe they will reel that in a little.
Old 06-23-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I really enjoyed this. Ballers may end up being the more popular show but this one hit all the right notes.
Old 06-24-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The humor both fell flat for my wife and I. A few chuckles was all it generated.

I'll give it another chance with the next episode.

(I'd stick around if the Asian call girl becomes a regular character.)
Old 06-28-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Episode 2 airs tonight

With President Navarro and Defense Secretary Grey ordering a military response to General Zaman's threats, Walter argues that an air strike could unleash a world war. He and Kendra must track down a moderate contact inside the Pakistan government to defuse the crisis. Meanwhile, after learning that classified information has been sent from Rafiq's house, Zaman's men storm the place, threaten Rafiq's family, and drag Alex to an undisclosed location for interrogation of the worst kind. In the skies over Pakistan, with Walter and the president looking on via an airborne camera, Zeke tries to sober up a drug-addled Glenn, but his partner accidentally launches a missile that creates high anxiety in three world capitals.

Written by Roberto Benabib & Kim Benabib; directed by Tim Robbins.
Old 06-29-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Holy Shit Carla Gugino!! Man she gets around.

Kind of ironic that she's in this show that is following her San Andreas co-star's show.

I like how Larson really wants to bang that Indian translator. She is pretty hot too. Larson cracks me up.

Talbot getting arrested by the Pakistani's for espionage was pretty funny.

with the estrogen in the water confession and Sanjay Gupta being his contact. I was dying at that scene. And then his water board torture.

So weird seeing Principal Figgins from Glee as a terrorist.
Old 06-29-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Count me as an enthusiastic viewer. Loved Tim Robbins as Sec of State Larson. They also got the actor from Mad Men who played Betty's father on the joint chiefs of staff, who never seems to say anything. I watch with cc as the dialogue is fairly rapid fire and I don't want to miss a joke. Really looking forward to future episodes.
Old 06-29-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
They also got the actor from Mad Men who played Betty's father on the joint chiefs of staff...
I'll always remember him for his role in the Oscar-worthy "Shark Attack 3: Megalodon".

Still liking this show. Not amazing, but funny enough to keep me interested.

Found it odd that when he dropped his Blackberry in the urinal (before he flushed), she picked it up and just simply dried it and they both considered it good-to-go at that point. Nothing like holding a urine-stained (but dry) phone to your ear and mouth.
Old 06-30-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And let's not forget the urinal cakes with the Presidential seal.
Old 07-01-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Wasn't that crazy Pakistani terrorist the Principal on Glee? I know I've seen him numerous times.
Yes he is the same guy

The pilot had more laughs than all the combined shows for the Comedians.
Old 07-01-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

what shows for the Comedians?
Old 07-01-15, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show sucks.
Old 07-02-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for your contribution EC. Anything particular that stood out to you as "sucking"?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.